Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dropping my name in the hat for music...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dropping my name in the hat for music...

Final polished demo (v4) of "Convergent Boundary" is up here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZN8y3xsLXkg

----------------------------------------------

Here is my Youtube channel with other work I've done:

http://youtube.com/henrikryosamusic
    Last edited by HenrikRyosa; 05-27-2014, 04:46 AM.

UT4 modding discussion: irc.globalgamers.net #UTModders
    Contrib Digest | UT2341 - Henrik's UT4 Dev Blog | Twitter

Now that's UT! Has even a slight Unreal 1 vibe to it.

I've been trying to get my "for-the-heck-of-it" tracks to sound more UT, but sadly I seem to be missing something. Maybe I'll post some of my own in the near future.
    Also known as musilowski.
    UE user since 1998.

Comment

I'd enjoy hearing your ideas.

It's indeed a tricky vibe to find, and moreso trying to capture the essence of a UT soundtrack without coming off too dated sounding in ones approach. My problem before was I was thinking with too much traditional melody and song structure, as I am used to writing for metal and folk, or super catchy nintendo-esque themes. Think more of a combination of ambience, adrenaline, rhythm, and even repetitiveness, but allow that repetition to evolve.

Obviously sound choices come into play too, I think just keep experimenting and you will know when you come across a "right" sound... then just build on it!

Kiitos for the feedback!
      Edit: Oh it's you Musilowski
      Last edited by HenrikRyosa; 05-16-2014, 06:46 PM.

Comment

I really like this, definitely has a fast multiplayer game feel. Oh wait, is that not what Unreal Tournament is?

Comment

I'll probably try to complete a full demo of the track this weekend. I'd like to get it to a playing time of around 3 minutes. Now that I have most of the core in place, it's about getting some kind of bridge in there mostly, progressing it a bit and refining the sounds. Which shouldn't take too long.

Comment

Doesn't sound bad and certainly has the UT feel to it, but I think the low quality 8-bit sound in the background sounds a bit off in the overall composition (the one that starts at 0:17). I would suggest to exchange it by a different sample or preset, e.g. a synth bass (just a suggestion). I'm curious how it would sound with such a change, personally, I believe it might improve the overall sound notably.
            S l y .

Comment

The tone you mention is the same one which performs the main lead in the second half, but you're right that the more sparse sustained notes seem to need something more - part of what I'm working on changing. The whole intro is being worked on to some degree to give it more impact.

Comment

Sounds good, let us know once you have a new version!

I still wonder whether the music will be dynamic (I really wouldn't mind if it's done fine, it was neat to have a different version of a track play when equipped with a powerup), this would of course influence the way one has to arrange the compositions by creating different segments for different scenarios.
                S l y .

Comment

I think the appeal of dynamic music is wearing off people, and I wouldn't count on it happening. Or maybe the trend will be to scale back on it. I could see two different forms of a song blending back and forth into each other depending on how intense the action is. Who knows... But what really annoys people is when the song restarts constantly.

Comment

Hey, hey, that's shaping up to be... I dunno that word, I always keep forgetting it because I can use it so rarely... GOOD. I think some parts of the song is a bit too "in your face" to have a place in a UT soundtrack but you really got the general vibe.

Comment

Zaxx: So you're saying, stick to music and maybe not so much the 3D modeling?

A lot of the rest of the piece is more understated, with less steady in your face drums and bass, to give the whole piece more dynamics and ambience. Should give a good balance and keep it from wearing on the listener.
                      Last edited by HenrikRyosa; 05-20-2014, 08:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by HenrikRyosa View Post
                        I'd enjoy hearing your ideas.

It's indeed a tricky vibe to find, and moreso trying to capture the essence of a UT soundtrack without coming off too dated sounding in ones approach. My problem before was I was thinking with too much traditional melody and song structure, as I am used to writing for metal and folk, or super catchy nintendo-esque themes. Think more of a combination of ambience, adrenaline, rhythm, and even repetitiveness, but allow that repetition to evolve.

Obviously sound choices come into play too, I think just keep experimenting and you will know when you come across a "right" sound... then just build on it!

Kiitos for the feedback!
                        Edit: Oh it's you Musilowski
                        I think you hit it really well with the style in this demo!

Comment

Originally posted by throttlekitty View Post
                          I think you hit it really well with the style in this demo!
                          Thank you! I have just completed the full demo and updated the original post.
                          Last edited by HenrikRyosa; 05-21-2014, 08:23 PM.

Comment

Big improvement compared to the first demo you uploaded!
                            Good job on that!

Now to the criticism:
                            I think the music itself evolves nice, though the break in the middle is rather long and neutralizes all of the pace of the previous segments, not necessarily a bad thing, but I have the feeling it goes a bit "beyond" the scale of the action segments. In contrast to the fast segments, the lenght of this break sounds longer (probably due to the pace change), I think it would disquality it for usage in DM maps (as it is a very fast gametype) but it would still be a great song for AS, CTF or alike (an example of that kind would be the song Nether, which also slows down reasonably during some parts but still suits Hall Of Giants and Oceanfloor perfectly). So this is by no means a bad thing (especially since my preferred mapping gametype is CTF ).

Personally, I still think that the low pitch 8bit sound which serves as a bass in the background of the "action segments" is still a bit off compared to the quality of the rest as it is quite a dominant sample/preset.
                            If it was a rather minor 8bit sample which accompanies the music, it would not stick out this much, so my suggestion of replacing it with a synth bass instead is still "valid" from my point of view. A good example of what I mean is Kevin Riepl's song "Coret" in UT3, the intro contains an 8bit sample, so does the ambient, but it gets lost in the action track and has a rather minor role in the overall composition, that way it doesn't "lower" the overall "song age".
                            I think the 8bit sample (I don't mean the BRRZD "stab", that one is perfectly fine!) in its current usage might make it sound too retro for a UT game - which is admittedly a retro-franchise by now, but one from the late 90s with the typical 90 music feel in its original form (where people tried to distance themselves from using 8bit samples to underline the high quality of their stuff and not remind of obsolete tech).

Overall, a good job - and I named Nether as an example because it reminded me of it, which is a good thing!
                            If I may ask this: Did you use it as inspiration? The lead synth reminds me of it especially and the "brrzd"-stab (sorry that I can't name it properly).
                            Right now, if I were to rate the thread based on the content you posted, I would rate it 4/5 stars. Fix the aforementioned sample issue and I think it might come close to 5 if not be 5. Some minor tweaks might be necessary though to integrate the changes properly.
                            Last edited by Sly.; 05-21-2014, 09:13 PM.
                            S l y .

Comment

Hey thanks Sly, that's some pretty detailed feedback. I like that.

I understand what you mean about the break, like you said it could be too much of one, I think I will need to sit on that aspect of it for a few days and see how I feel about it then. Maybe I'll get some new ideas - I had actually had the instinct initially to go the opposite direction, as it builds up, double up the tempo on the drums, but keep them quieter and then build up. Sometimes things end up going off in random directions and plans go awry. Ha ha..

I've been trying to gather from the beginning what sounded 8 bit to you, as there are no 8 bit sounds used, but from the sound of it I think you mean the one after the very distorted bass - the bass with the funkier feel - hits at 0:18 in this copy. Nope, it's def not 8 bit, but yeah I suppose I'm not married to that particular sample either. I can play around.

No I did not use Nether Animal as inspiration, if I had to choose two tracks which probably subconsciously influenced it, probably "Go Down" and "Organic".

Thanks, you've given me some things to think about.

Comment

Working...
                              X