Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dropping my name in the hat for music...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Because of all the feedback I've been getting on Convergent Boundary lately, I am (hesitantly) going to post a very rudimentary skeleton of a theme I began developing in late May, and have since not really gotten back to. I hit a wall on it and am not really sure it's a direction I want to develop further. It's basically like a marriage of the UT2003 style orchestral theme with a nod to UT's classic theme towards the end, but I don't really have any ideas at the mo how to give it the edge I wanted to give it. I'm a bit limited by my sound libraries and such, so probably going to focus on the more ambient / electronic stuff instead of trying to go this orchestral route at all.

But I figured eh, I'll let people hear where I had it at anyway. Note that the drums aren't finished etc so it has these abrupt and repetitive fills.

http://ut2341.com/henrik_themetest_june9-2014.mp3

UT4 modding discussion: irc.globalgamers.net #UTModders
    Contrib Digest | UT2341 - Henrik's UT4 Dev Blog | Twitter

Comment

That's a really good song you made with "Convergent Boundary"! The first time I listened to it, I was working on whiteboxing my map and ended up distracted by seeing a full UT match in my head. It just deserves to be included in a map.

As a matter of fact, I just put the song in my work playlist so that I don't forget it and so it helps fueling inspiration.
      Keep up the good work and you got yourself a new fan.
      Current project: DM-MineArena (Codename)

Comment

w00t! that is funny.

Who knows, maybe it'll be in yours.

Comment

When I listen to the song, I see white and very futuristic-looking maps. Lots of high tech pieces around.
          Visual-wise: Something like Liandri's central offices, very fancy buildings, giant metropolis, etc.

It definitely gets you in the mood for a match without using super aggressive instrument like electric guitar with heavy effects.
          I guess it has an opposite contrast from... let's say... Rankin in UT2k4. The song was a mix of guitar and electronic instrument and it was used in a map that has a dirty-looking, industrial feeling.
          Current project: DM-MineArena (Codename)

Comment

Yeah, I suppose I agree with your assessment of where it would fit, especially since I produced it with the thought of space maps in my head - so - futuristic maps of any kind really, and just the kinetic feel of UT99 DM as opposed to 2k4 or UT3's.

There's the one synth which repeats in the "verses" of the track which does dirty up the vibe just a bit, that uses a guitar amp and some kind of arpeggiation - and to me, is the glue that pulls the whole thing together and makes it more than just a straight up attempt to clone anything done in UT - I do think it could work in a range of environments, but you're right, in fact the concept level Epic posted is a pretty good example already of the style it fits imo.

I'm going to try to go for a palette of moods with subsequent tracks while kind of not straying too far from that at the same time... it's obvious I've lucked out and found what works for me in terms of UT-composing, so I'll just methodically work my way outward from that starting point.

Comment

Originally posted by HenrikRyosa View Post
              Thank you Doz (and LOC, w00t)

About your Youtube comment - this genre doesn't typically use studio drummers :P And besides I can drum IRL anyway, I have an electric kit and double kick pedal.
              My drums kit is a 10 PC Acoustic Concert Edition for when I was playing on the road. Fully Mic in s Studio now with Cubase 7.5.
              I have full version of VST Connect Pro remote recording solution if you like to work together. I play Guitar and harmonica.
              I have an online band with a hard rock guitarist and a bass player that was ask to play with Twisted sister.
              Using a program called Soundjack Audio for PC to play in real time. Need Strong internet.
              UT99/U2/2003/2004/UT3 Unreal Life Doz Digital Studio UT MAP MUSIC https://soundcloud.com/dozier-mills/

Comment

Thanx for the info.

Comment

UT would be a great way for new talent to get noticed!

thing is epic doesnt have much to spend, and would have to choose from say a contest, if the artist wants to get paid for his or her work

but I like this track and hope epic does do negotiations for some of the community tracks or heck one could buy them from the marketplace for use in maps with other players... even replace the map music with music bought
                  Last edited by MrTech; 08-23-2014, 08:20 PM.

Comment

Thanks MrTech. The marketplace thing is certainly one idea. On the one hand I wonder whether people will really choose to support community made tracks financially if big names do make it into the game. I mean, it's possible and I'd like to see it happen. On the other hand, simply having it there in the marketplace would be a good thing I guess, and those of us who do up an album's worth of tracks could probably make some income off putting them up onto services like Spotify and iTunes for when fans want to listen out of game.

Comment

I dig the track! Has a real old school breaks vibe. The breakdown is especially nice.

Couple thoughts:
                      Not sure if it's my setup, but the bass is really resonant and is kinda distracting/overpowering when it pitches up in a couple spots.
                      Might be cool if the toms had more space in the reverb, or the reverb was brighter, might feel more epic.

Good stuff!
                      Here with an interest in sound and music...
                      https://soundcloud.com/tempestry

Comment

v. 4

I must say, this sound very retro, in a good way

I like what you've accomplish but there are 2 things that annoy me a bit :

1 - There is no bass punch. I clearly hear the bass but it doesn't punch at all.

2 - The volume is so low that I need to set the volume at max to ear the sound decently. Sound like the average output is set to -12 DB ?

The overall sound quality isn't great. I mean that it sound like a lossy 96 Kbits MP3. Can you please use a better encoding in the next version.

Except that, it sound UT, excellent work
                        Stevie's corner
                        My UT4 maps
                        Links : UE4 links (guide, tut), UE4 resources, Tools and resources

Comment

Thanks Steve (and Tempestry) for your feedback. Yeah I didn't do a proper mix on that at all. Just a demo mixed over headphones and my tv. Not sure what you were listening to but I output videos with anywhere from 192 to 320 kbps encoding for audio, it's possible Youtube was playing it back at a lower rate for you or something.

I'll make sure to look at these things in more detail when I work on subsequent tracks.

Comment

Thanks Steve (and Tempestry) for your feedback. Yeah I didn't do a proper mix on that at all. Just a demo mixed over headphones and my tv. Not sure what you were listening to but I output videos with anywhere from 192 to 320 kbps encoding for audio, it's possible Youtube was playing it back at a lower rate for you or something.
                            Your welcome

Well, I listen the track on my audio sound system and on my PC which audio components are high quality. The output overall volume is much lower than the rest of the songs when I'm listening a bunch of tracks. Note that when you upload something on YouTube, it automatically compress video and audio. The audio / video quality is greatly affected and most people don't know that.

If I may ask, can you PLZ put a download link for the original WAV file so I can listen the track in full quality ?

I'll make sure to look at these things in more detail when I work on subsequent tracks.
                            I'm looking for your next song héhé
                            Stevie's corner
                            My UT4 maps
                            Links : UE4 links (guide, tut), UE4 resources, Tools and resources

Comment

Originally posted by Stevelois View Post
                              Your welcome

Well, I listen the track on my audio sound system and on my PC which audio components are high quality. The output overall volume is much lower than the rest of the songs when I'm listening a bunch of tracks. Note that when you upload something on YouTube, it automatically compress video and audio. The audio / video quality is greatly affected and most people don't know that.

If I may ask, can you PLZ put a download link for the original WAV file so I can listen the track in full quality ?

I'm looking for your next song héhé
                              Mm yep quite aware Youtube recompresses stuff, but what I meant is that if I upload with 320 kbps audio and you listen using 480p or 720p the audio should generally be still decent quality, certainly no way in hell it should sound like 96kbps at least.

I'll try to upload you a slightly remastered version in high bitrate mp3, unless you really *must* have WAV, most others wouldn't want to download 40 megs just to listen to a song. :P

Comment

I'll try to upload you a slightly remastered version in high bitrate mp3, unless you really *must* have WAV, most others wouldn't want to download 40 megs just to listen to a song. :P
                                Oh trust me, this guy does
                                Music Concepts for UT4 (Soundcloud) || Thread || Website

IN-GAME NICKS: Avalanche / <--Archer-<<

Comment

Working...
                                X