Explosions have too much bass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Explosions have too much bass

Am I the only one to notice this. I recently bought new headphones ( HD 598 ) since my old ones died ( PC 350 ). I tested the game today and immediately noticed that the explosions from a rocket launcher have way too much bass. They dampen all other sounds on the battlefield and even if you're far can still hear them. Now I can correct this to an extent with the equalizer in the Sound Blaster Z control panel to make them sound better, more natural, but it still leads me to wonder if this is done intentional?

EDIT: If so please don't. Strong bass is not sound quality.

Originally posted by Denco View Post
    Am I the only one to notice this. I recently bought new headphones ( HD 598 ) since my old ones died ( PC 350 ). I tested the game today and immediately noticed that the explosions from a rocket launcher have way too much bass. They dampen all other sounds on the battlefield and even if you're far can still hear them. Now I can correct this to an extent with the equalizer in the Sound Blaster Z control panel to make them sound better, more natural, but it still leads me to wonder if this is done intentional?

EDIT: If so please don't. Strong bass is not sound quality.
    Sounds levels like all of the other elements in sounds right now (Music, SFX, and dialogue) are temp and are subject to change. Most of the sounds are still place holders from UT3 which by themselves are bass rich samples. A lot of it will hinge on tweaking the engine to play and duck those sounds so they don't come across as overwhelming. Your concern is certainly valid, the sound and bass management will get better over time.
    Last edited by MaxCarnage; 04-07-2016, 08:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MaxCarnage View Post
      Sounds levels like all of the other elements in sounds right now (Music, SFX, and dialogue) are temp and are subject to change. Most of the sounds are still place holders from UT3 which by themselves are bass rich samples. A lot of it will hinge on tweaking the engine to play and duck those sounds so they don't come across as overwhelming. Your concern is certainly valid, the sound and bass management will get better over time.
      I was really hoping this is the case

Comment

I think it's important to note that any game should have the same efforts spent on mixing and mastering sound effects and music, as you would expect from a popular album or film. Since I know UT4 is still in it's early stages, I don't feel too concerned about the end result right now but pointing out valid flaws with what we currently have doesn't seem such a bad thing because it may spur on some creative ideas that nobody thought of yet.. Like a simple in game mixer with channels for every weapon, team sounds etc..

We've seen a lot of videos and tutorials so far regarding level design, characters, game play and some really interesting discussions about the meat of the game. When the time comes, could we perhaps have some videos surrounding and focusing on sounds/music from a devs perspective and how audio is implemented into the game? I'd really like that.

Comment

Originally posted by [Insta]-Loque View Post
          Like a simple in game mixer with channels for every weapon, team sounds etc..
          THIS, please!

Polish community DISCORD server: https://discord.gg/eMRKbAg Join us if you are Polish and let's play some 4v4

Comment

you can have too much bass? :P
            I don't feel it drowns everything out as you say, in fact, I actually quite like their sound, it sounds... powerful 0.0

But thats just my opinion

Comment

On a related note [MENTION=12959]MaxCarnage[/MENTION] do you know what's with the low pass sweep style filter heard on weapon sounds occasionally? It's been in since Chill was added afaik, I'm guessing it's an effect that occurs when you take damage or an explosion goes off near you or something? Just curious about it.

Comment

All the sounds have to much bass, its hard to focus on sound.
                I have HD7. When you compare ut4 to CS:GO, I must say CS:GO wins in every aspect from ambient to weapon sounds.

UT4 sounds are distorted mostly and heavly processed to have much bass frequencies, while cs:go sounds are clean and sound really sharp in the headset, still having bass, but not so much noticable.

Comment

The only sounds which has too much bass for me is the menu FX. Stinger and Link primary has too little making them very weak feeling/sounding.

Comment

Every weapon sound is too loud for me

Polish community DISCORD server: https://discord.gg/eMRKbAg Join us if you are Polish and let's play some 4v4

Comment

Wow this thread became alive. I absolutely support and idea to have a sound effects mixer but I reckon it will never happen.

Now I'm hoping this thread doesn't become a battleground between people saying "sounds are great" and "sounds have to much bass etc. Before more people reply lets all remember that there are different headsets and headphones with different quality. But even with my old PC350 ( which sadly died ) I found the bass to be to strong. Also some of us use sound cards and DAC/amplifiers which really bring good headphones to life while some choose not to invest too much money on sound and rather choose mediocre headsets which are driven by motherboards integrated sound card. Now don't take this the wrong way I'm only saying this to point out to everyone why there are different opinions. Anyway to the topic at hand.

My opinion on this is that, considering this is a competitive shooter, bass should be strong only so much that it doesn't obstruct other sounds because, for many of us, sound is the most important indicator of what is going around us and who is walking past us. Which is why I'm hoping that developers, if they'll go the bass route, give those of us who invested more money into sound to have an option for bass level in the game. Now like I stated I can already do this trough a eq on my soundcard but I'm hoping there's a better way.
                      Last edited by Denco; 04-09-2016, 07:15 PM.

Comment

I completely agree with your statement Denco. Any music, sound effects or other audio should be mixed and mastered in a dedicated sound studio and be setup in UE to be balanced across all platforms. Having a quick mini mixer within UT4 would save people from exiting the game to make minor tweaks, I hope someone takes up the idea eventually. I use Yamaha HS80M's / Fostex PM1's and SRH940 headphones for my music.
                        Last edited by [Insta]-Loque; 04-10-2016, 04:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RPGWiZ4RD View Post
                          The only sounds which has too much bass for me is the menu FX. Stinger and Link primary has too little making them very weak feeling/sounding.
                          I dont like the menu sounds either. They have too much bass and they are long.
                          But what is more importatnt: If you swipe across the buttons they all play at the same time what results in clipping. And there is no menu interface level slider in the options.

Comment

Working...
                          X