OpenALSupport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OpenALSupport

All the previous UTs used this sound format.

Can UT4 continue to use this sound format as well?

Makes for an excellent surround sound experience for those that use sound cards + stereo headphones.

OpenAL is not a sound format, its a library.
    And they propably won't use it anyway because its no more supported (last version is from 2005).

Comment

OpenAL is still supported to this day. The problem is, the main library went proprietary when Creative bought them in 2005. There is an open source project that is re-implementing Creative's version, though, and it was last updated today

http://repo.or.cz/w/openal-soft.git
      HABOUJI! Ouboudah! Batai d'va!
      BeyondUnreal - Liandri Archives [An extensive repository of Unreal lore.] - Join us on IRC [irc.utchat.com - #beyondunreal]

Comment

I use the "Old Unreal" OpenAl patch for Unreal Tournament. Love the 3d positional sound.

Comment

The correct term you're looking for is "OpenAL EFX". And yes, do want!

Bit of history:
          Unreal was the first game to use Creative's EAX. Literally the first, EAX 1.0 was first demoed in Unreal. Creative's website even mentioned Unreal (before they removed their EAX website, as it's deprecated). Unreal also used zone reverb effects quite extensively throughout the game.

UT1 also had support for it, but unfortunately not a whole lot of maps made use of that. The "OpenAL patch" adds proper reverb to certain zones (underwater and so).

Unreal II was one of the first games that made use of EAX Advanced HD (I don't remember which one in particular, either EAX 3.0 or EAX 4.0). Though the problem with EAX Advanced HD was that it was exclusive for Creative cards (non-Creative cards could only do up to EAX 2.0). Though nowadays getting it to work, even with Creative cards, is a bit of a pain. Lots of driver juggling needed.

UT2 had support for EAX, too (2.0 I think?). Even non-Creative cards could handle that. Though many level designers forgot to add correct zone metadata, too, so most maps where EAX worked right were from UT2003. Though CTF-BridgeOfFate was glorious with EAX, the high-ceiling halls echoing really makes a difference.

UT3 used reverb zones, IIRC. Notably in the prime nodes of WAR-Torlan and Necris sanctuary levels. Also the pipes in CTF-Hydrosis. Not sure what technology or version they used, but it was claimed to be OpenAL.

Currently, note that EAX is now dead. It's completely deprecated in favour of OpenAL EFX, which solves the mentioned problem of EAX Advanced HD being only for Creative cards. Otherwise, EFX is the same as EAX 5.0, from what I can gather. Though as Sir Brizz noted, OpenAL is now proprietary, so the developers have to license it from Creative.
          But there are options. One is to just license OpenAL; another is to use OpenAL Soft, as Sir Brizz mentioned. OpenAL Soft is cross-platform and does support EFX (though I'm not sure if they support all up to EAX 5.0 feature set).
          AeonWave-OpenAL is another choice. It seems that it has the equivalent of OpenAL EFX, and uses hardware acceleration, plus is cross-platform, but like OpenAL, AeonWave has to be licensed. On the other hand, there is AeonWave Lite, which is free, but only supports up to the equivalent of EAX 3.0.

I'm not sure if other solutions have any equivalent to OpenAL EFX. I hear FMOD can do something of the like, but I'm not sure if it's really equivalent.

Oh, and this is an overview of OpenAL EFX: http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/Allen...penALs_EFX.php
          Unreal Tournament 4 eXpanded MultiPlayer (UT4XMP) efforts
          My website, listing all my Unreal series mods and mutators

Comment

If Epic Use this feature Fix this Issue:
            [1] When using surround sound on the Windows Desktop; works fine
            - Load up Any Unreal Tournament Game and Surround Sound Automatically switches off.

- There is not 1 Unreal Game without some stupid Sound issue... It would be nice if the new consider what people actually wrote.

- I guess that New UT will use OpenAL and the same issues will still be present.

@ Great Emerald:
            What is FMod? is that just for OLDUnreal only?
            [sorry but there are are 12+ threads and man many posts, couldn't find one that explains what it actually is and does.]
            * You seem to be active and extremely knowledgeable with old unreal stuff. Is it ok to ask a few Questions in PM? [so i don't hijack thread ]
            Last edited by TKBS; 06-02-2014, 09:17 AM.
            Download_AllMyStuff | videos_ofmystuff

Comment

Originally posted by TKBS View Post
              If they Use this feature Fix the Issues

[1] When using surround sound on the Windows Desktop; works fine
              - Load up Any Unreal Tournament Game and Surround Sound Automatically switches off.

- There is not 1 Unreal Game without some stupid issue... It would be nice if the new consider what people actually wrote.

- I guess that New UT will use OpenAL and the same issues will still be present.
              That sounds like a Windows issue to me. Not something the game can do anything about.

Comment

so your telling me this is windows[*]issue for
                Unreal Gold, UT, U2, U2XMP, UT2003, UT2004, UT3, All UNeditors etc The ball, Unreal Anthology
                [*]- by windows i mean to say "device driver conflict"- is that what your saying?
                - if you have further info that would be appreciated
                Last edited by TKBS; 06-02-2014, 09:24 AM.
                Download_AllMyStuff | videos_ofmystuff

Comment

Sounds like it. You'd have to be more specific about what hardware you're using, though, but it sounds like something to do with either the drivers or the OS to driver interaction.

Nothing to do with OpenAL EFX, though. EFX is not for surround sound, it's for environmental effects (different reverb in different rooms, geometry blocking off sound, that kind of thing).

Oh, and I didn't notice your edit there. FMOD is an alternative audio library. Unreal 227 uses it to play music and is one of the two options to play sounds IIRC. And sure, you can PM me as well.

Comment

You guys talking about Unreal Engine feature rether then Unreal Tournament. And yes Unreal Engine does support OpenAL, but it seems to be used only for Linux and HTML5, Windows build uses XAudio2 (i just checked in engine source code)

Comment

The Unreal Tournament feature is the support for environmental audio. It relates to the engine, yes, but it has to be implemented into the game specifically as well. For one, it would be cool to have zone sound effects be customisable as config files, so that we could manually fix maps the mappers forgot to add the effects into.

And hmm, I haven't heard about XAudio2 in terms of environmental audio. It would be a real shame if we didn't have environmental audio just because the Windows build defaults to something that doesn't support it...

Comment

I think the primary issue is that the UE4 doesn't have an actual audio engine per se. The UE4 just forwards all the DSP work to various libraries (PC/XBOX1 : XAudio2, Mac : CoreAudio, Linux : OpenAL, PS4 : Sony etc.) which have different processing technologies and feature sets. If the engine actually had a real audio engine, we could have expanded with much better enrionmental and reverberation systems (and many other effects) very quickly compared to the mentioned libraries.

Either we have to wait for Epic to create the foundation of a new audio engine which we can build upon or wait for fmod/wwise to release their audio platforms for the UE4.

Comment

But OpenAL is cross-platform... Why isn't there an option to just build everything with OpenAL?

Comment

Originally posted by Sir_Brizz View Post
                            OpenAL is still supported to this day. The problem is, the main library went proprietary when Creative bought them in 2005. There is an open source project that is re-implementing Creative's version, though, and it was last updated today

http://repo.or.cz/w/openal-soft.git
                            Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                            But there are options. One is to just license OpenAL; another is to use OpenAL Soft, as Sir Brizz mentioned. OpenAL Soft is cross-platform and does support EFX (though I'm not sure if they support all up to EAX 5.0 feature set).
                            How do you use OpenAL Soft with UT2003/04 etc? I can't get it to work.

Comment

Steve was talking about getting sound occlusion right, at the end of this weeks stream, so I figure the audio renderers are something they will be looking at in some way.

I'll chip-in what I know from testing and evangelising OpenAL on behalf of Papa-Smirf.

Smirftsch has recently swapped over to the new "OpenAL Soft" branch so currently there are only beta renders available for 3 U1 games Unreal, UT and Deus Ex).
                              He is the Unreal developer with the most knowledge on this subject and the person to ask for deeper insight.
                              We have not had much feedback from the UE1 community but, as it we aren't being shouted at, this must be a good thing.
                              The new build is designed to overcome a certain problem for newer Windows.

The only real drawback with OpenAL, is that Realtek and Creative have dropped direct support since Vista, and you need to use their special tools to fix it.
                              I posted a thread covering your options at OldUnreal
                              http://www.oldunreal.com/cgi-bin/yab...num=1397216546
                              I have been testing the new branch on 64bit Win7 with a Realtek and it works well for me.

FMOD is, or was one of the parallel options, built from the FMOD project. It has its own pros and cons, but I believe it was only intended as a fallback if OpenAL did not work for you.
                              Recently this was superseded by an alternative SwFmod build, which frankly is nerdtasticly endowed with options ! and is a seriously good option if OpenAL will not work for you.

[11.11.2012] 227i release
                              Added SwFMOD, some new sounddevice like OpenAL or FMod, but unlike old FMod (FMOD 3) its based on FModEx (FMOD 4). Dots reworked some old code I found for DeusEX and updated it to newest version while also fixing a lot of bugs, also the ambient presets known out of OpenAL are supported. It's new and of course there is a good chance of new bugs, but it has a lot of potential, not only for Windows but also for Linux users.
                              http://www.oldunreal.com/wiki/index...._release_notes

From a mapping point of view it is the easiest thing in the world to add EFX-Zone info (as long as you zone your map), then choose from the list of presets. From a player point of view, makes the environment so much richer and you more aware of it, and your place in it, and where other people are, even if they are the same distance away.
                              I spend most of my time updating old but well zoned maps with EFX, and it takes care of the sound occlusion very nicely.
                              People tend to focus on the pin-point accurate surround-sound, but I think the raytraced sound and occlusions are a much bigger deal.

http://www.oldunreal.com/cgi-bin/yab...pl?board=Sound
                              http://www.oldunreal.com/wiki/index.php?title=OpenAL
                              http://www.oldunreal.com/wiki/index.php?title=FMOD
                              Who wants a UT99 FOOD FIGHT ?

Comment

Working...
                              X