OpenALSupport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ~SS~ View Post
    How do you use OpenAL Soft with UT2003/04 etc? I can't get it to work.
    It's the only way to get sound to work on Linux at all. Simply install OpenAL-soft, remove System/openal.so, and make it a symbollic link to /usr/lib64/libopenal.so.1 (ln -s /usr/lib64/libopenal.so.1 openal.so)

If you're asking about Windows, I don't really know, but probably you can do the same thing with removing the OpenAL DLL and replacing it with the one provided by OpenAL Soft. Also make sure to test the sound settings, there is an option to use system sound drivers which I think should be turned off (on means use whatever is in \Windows\system32, off means use whatever is in UT2004\System, IIRC).
    Unreal Tournament 4 eXpanded MultiPlayer (UT4XMP) efforts
    My website, listing all my Unreal series mods and mutators

Comment

Originally posted by Dr.Flay View Post
      The only real drawback with OpenAL, is that Realtek and Creative have dropped direct support since Vista, and you need to use their special tools to fix it.
      What? That's not right. DirectSound was dropped since Vista, and the 'special tools' are to use OpenAL to emulate DirectSound. Games that used OpenAL in the first place were unaffected by the changes made from Vista onwards.

Anyway, I hope this game doesn't use OpenAL, because in my experience it's way too inconsistent across different hardware. Creative cards seem to be the only one's capable of getting decent sound out of UT2004, for example, while anything using a non-creative chip has subtle issues.

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
      ...you can do the same thing with removing the OpenAL DLL and replacing it with the one provided by OpenAL Soft. Also make sure to test the sound settings, there is an option to use system sound drivers which I think should be turned off (on means use whatever is in \Windows\system32, off means use whatever is in UT2004\System, IIRC).
      That never works. It's encouraging that you say you have it working in Linux, because that surely means that UT2004 has no inherent issue with OpenAL Soft. But so far I've had no luck with it in Windows.
      Last edited by ~SS~; 08-24-2014, 01:11 AM.

Comment

We could, alternatively, try to implement an actual wave-traced reverb and sound propagation engine or library. Software libraries for this have started gaining prominence in the last 3-4 years, and since A3D was able to do this kind of stuff back in the late 90s with the first generation Unreal games, why not try to bring that back finally?
        The new UT is coming along nicely...
        Maybe a new Unreal would be a good idea for Epic's next project? It's certainly somewhat overdue...

Comment

It's something for UE4 to suport first in order for see it in UT4

Comment

Sorry, what?
            Maybe a new Unreal would be a good idea for Epic's next project? It's certainly somewhat overdue...

Comment

iirc UE3 moved to xAudio2 shortly after UT3 was released and was later updated to. OpenAL probably holds the best compatibility for cross platform but in Windows specifically xAudio2 has the advantage of allowing users to experience features in software at a low performance cost that would normally require audio hardware in OpenAL and Directaudio based APIs.
              noise for games
              zYnthetic.com

Comment

Originally posted by iLikeTheUDK View Post
                We could, alternatively, try to implement an actual wave-traced reverb and sound propagation engine or library. Software libraries for this have started gaining prominence in the last 3-4 years, and since A3D was able to do this kind of stuff back in the late 90s with the first generation Unreal games, why not try to bring that back finally?
                This! There are already a few middleware audio engines, which a compatible with UE4.

Comment

HEEEEYYYYYYYYYYY!!!! This thing supports UE4, via Wwise! Wavetracing could finally make a comeback!! http://twobigears.com/3dception.html

Comment

Working...
                  X