OpenALSupport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    HEEEEYYYYYYYYYYY!!!! This thing supports UE4, via Wwise! Wavetracing could finally make a comeback!! http://twobigears.com/3dception.html

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by iLikeTheUDK View Post
    We could, alternatively, try to implement an actual wave-traced reverb and sound propagation engine or library. Software libraries for this have started gaining prominence in the last 3-4 years, and since A3D was able to do this kind of stuff back in the late 90s with the first generation Unreal games, why not try to bring that back finally?
    This! There are already a few middleware audio engines, which a compatible with UE4.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    iirc UE3 moved to xAudio2 shortly after UT3 was released and was later updated to. OpenAL probably holds the best compatibility for cross platform but in Windows specifically xAudio2 has the advantage of allowing users to experience features in software at a low performance cost that would normally require audio hardware in OpenAL and Directaudio based APIs.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Sorry, what?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    It's something for UE4 to suport first in order for see it in UT4

Leave a comment:

• replied
    We could, alternatively, try to implement an actual wave-traced reverb and sound propagation engine or library. Software libraries for this have started gaining prominence in the last 3-4 years, and since A3D was able to do this kind of stuff back in the late 90s with the first generation Unreal games, why not try to bring that back finally?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Dr.Flay View Post
    The only real drawback with OpenAL, is that Realtek and Creative have dropped direct support since Vista, and you need to use their special tools to fix it.
    What? That's not right. DirectSound was dropped since Vista, and the 'special tools' are to use OpenAL to emulate DirectSound. Games that used OpenAL in the first place were unaffected by the changes made from Vista onwards.

Anyway, I hope this game doesn't use OpenAL, because in my experience it's way too inconsistent across different hardware. Creative cards seem to be the only one's capable of getting decent sound out of UT2004, for example, while anything using a non-creative chip has subtle issues.

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
    ...you can do the same thing with removing the OpenAL DLL and replacing it with the one provided by OpenAL Soft. Also make sure to test the sound settings, there is an option to use system sound drivers which I think should be turned off (on means use whatever is in \Windows\system32, off means use whatever is in UT2004\System, IIRC).
    That never works. It's encouraging that you say you have it working in Linux, because that surely means that UT2004 has no inherent issue with OpenAL Soft. But so far I've had no luck with it in Windows.
    Last edited by ~SS~; 08-24-2014, 01:11 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by ~SS~ View Post
    How do you use OpenAL Soft with UT2003/04 etc? I can't get it to work.
    It's the only way to get sound to work on Linux at all. Simply install OpenAL-soft, remove System/openal.so, and make it a symbollic link to /usr/lib64/libopenal.so.1 (ln -s /usr/lib64/libopenal.so.1 openal.so)

If you're asking about Windows, I don't really know, but probably you can do the same thing with removing the OpenAL DLL and replacing it with the one provided by OpenAL Soft. Also make sure to test the sound settings, there is an option to use system sound drivers which I think should be turned off (on means use whatever is in \Windows\system32, off means use whatever is in UT2004\System, IIRC).

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Steve was talking about getting sound occlusion right, at the end of this weeks stream, so I figure the audio renderers are something they will be looking at in some way.

I'll chip-in what I know from testing and evangelising OpenAL on behalf of Papa-Smirf.

Smirftsch has recently swapped over to the new "OpenAL Soft" branch so currently there are only beta renders available for 3 U1 games Unreal, UT and Deus Ex).
    He is the Unreal developer with the most knowledge on this subject and the person to ask for deeper insight.
    We have not had much feedback from the UE1 community but, as it we aren't being shouted at, this must be a good thing.
    The new build is designed to overcome a certain problem for newer Windows.

The only real drawback with OpenAL, is that Realtek and Creative have dropped direct support since Vista, and you need to use their special tools to fix it.
    I posted a thread covering your options at OldUnreal
    http://www.oldunreal.com/cgi-bin/yab...num=1397216546
    I have been testing the new branch on 64bit Win7 with a Realtek and it works well for me.

FMOD is, or was one of the parallel options, built from the FMOD project. It has its own pros and cons, but I believe it was only intended as a fallback if OpenAL did not work for you.
    Recently this was superseded by an alternative SwFmod build, which frankly is nerdtasticly endowed with options ! and is a seriously good option if OpenAL will not work for you.

[11.11.2012] 227i release
    Added SwFMOD, some new sounddevice like OpenAL or FMod, but unlike old FMod (FMOD 3) its based on FModEx (FMOD 4). Dots reworked some old code I found for DeusEX and updated it to newest version while also fixing a lot of bugs, also the ambient presets known out of OpenAL are supported. It's new and of course there is a good chance of new bugs, but it has a lot of potential, not only for Windows but also for Linux users.
    http://www.oldunreal.com/wiki/index...._release_notes

From a mapping point of view it is the easiest thing in the world to add EFX-Zone info (as long as you zone your map), then choose from the list of presets. From a player point of view, makes the environment so much richer and you more aware of it, and your place in it, and where other people are, even if they are the same distance away.
    I spend most of my time updating old but well zoned maps with EFX, and it takes care of the sound occlusion very nicely.
    People tend to focus on the pin-point accurate surround-sound, but I think the raytraced sound and occlusions are a much bigger deal.

http://www.oldunreal.com/cgi-bin/yab...pl?board=Sound
    http://www.oldunreal.com/wiki/index.php?title=OpenAL
    http://www.oldunreal.com/wiki/index.php?title=FMOD

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Sir_Brizz View Post
    OpenAL is still supported to this day. The problem is, the main library went proprietary when Creative bought them in 2005. There is an open source project that is re-implementing Creative's version, though, and it was last updated today

http://repo.or.cz/w/openal-soft.git
    Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
    But there are options. One is to just license OpenAL; another is to use OpenAL Soft, as Sir Brizz mentioned. OpenAL Soft is cross-platform and does support EFX (though I'm not sure if they support all up to EAX 5.0 feature set).
    How do you use OpenAL Soft with UT2003/04 etc? I can't get it to work.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    But OpenAL is cross-platform... Why isn't there an option to just build everything with OpenAL?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I think the primary issue is that the UE4 doesn't have an actual audio engine per se. The UE4 just forwards all the DSP work to various libraries (PC/XBOX1 : XAudio2, Mac : CoreAudio, Linux : OpenAL, PS4 : Sony etc.) which have different processing technologies and feature sets. If the engine actually had a real audio engine, we could have expanded with much better enrionmental and reverberation systems (and many other effects) very quickly compared to the mentioned libraries.

Either we have to wait for Epic to create the foundation of a new audio engine which we can build upon or wait for fmod/wwise to release their audio platforms for the UE4.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    The Unreal Tournament feature is the support for environmental audio. It relates to the engine, yes, but it has to be implemented into the game specifically as well. For one, it would be cool to have zone sound effects be customisable as config files, so that we could manually fix maps the mappers forgot to add the effects into.

And hmm, I haven't heard about XAudio2 in terms of environmental audio. It would be a real shame if we didn't have environmental audio just because the Windows build defaults to something that doesn't support it...

Leave a comment:

• replied
    You guys talking about Unreal Engine feature rether then Unreal Tournament. And yes Unreal Engine does support OpenAL, but it seems to be used only for Linux and HTML5, Windows build uses XAudio2 (i just checked in engine source code)

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Sounds like it. You'd have to be more specific about what hardware you're using, though, but it sounds like something to do with either the drivers or the OS to driver interaction.

Nothing to do with OpenAL EFX, though. EFX is not for surround sound, it's for environmental effects (different reverb in different rooms, geometry blocking off sound, that kind of thing).

Oh, and I didn't notice your edit there. FMOD is an alternative audio library. Unreal 227 uses it to play music and is one of the two options to play sounds IIRC. And sure, you can PM me as well.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X