Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Context music (Main Menu, Loading screen, Post Match, Flag Capture..... )

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey,

here is an updated version of the Menu music, I added some industrial sounds, added some synths and also added a string movement at 1:21.

https://soundcloud.com/fjcomposer/ut...pdated/s-Y1xMG

Originally posted by 1x View Post
    On the loading screen music - definitely sounds like it belongs in Unreal Tournament. Especially upto around 30 seconds, it starts to fall off at around 34 seconds - whats the difference between the edited version and the original?

Also I know you put a lot of time into this & its appreciated, I'm not really feeling it on the post match, defeated,winner, & Flag capture sound cues. they feel too symphonic to fit UT, great quality here but not suiting UT, trying working with the 4 sounds from the original games and seeing if you can come up with variants / hybrids closer to those - I think you have the right stuff to accomplish this based on the Menu music and you nailed that quite well.
    Thanks!
    The edited version includes more synthesizer stuff, compare 0:00-0:17 , I also added a drumkit at 0:28.

In regards of the other stuff you might be right, I do feel the same - the cues lack "soul". Im going go get more ideas going, I needed some time to get a sense for whats working and what not.
    Raxxy also brought up a good point in IRC mentioning that there might be no loading screen. The next "longer" track will be more focused on Post match/map vote type of cue, and i'tll sound less military. I tried adding some synthesizer to the "Post match cue" too, but as you mentioned, the track doesnt really fit in the end.

Regarding the flag capture sounds, its actually interesting to hear the flag captures of the other Ut, they actually do sound often "symphonic", at least 99 and ut3 does. But I might come up with a something better, I propably put too much information in 5 seconds, I'm going for some more minimal stuff.

Thanks for the feedback guys
    Nonemms Music Thread DM-Lea(Youtube Soundcloud )
    Fabian Joosten - composer for media

Comment

These 2 sound great!!
      https://soundcloud.com/fjcomposer/ut...pdated/s-Y1xMG (I'd add some new extra element to it)

https://soundcloud.com/fjcomposer/lo...reenel/s-hJsX1

Comment

This is meant to be constructive criticism. All the cues sound too jolly in my opinion. The victory ones are generic fanfares, and the defeat one could be a victory cue. I would recommend using minor keys, everything should be darker. As others are saying, you should try to make them all fit UT.

When you die in Black Ops 2 Zombies the following cue is played: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tsveg2-Z7d0 It's unique and suits the situation well I think.
        Last edited by Nick_D'Amato; 09-01-2014, 01:45 PM.
        Sound designer, composer, flash game dev, and Unreal mapper. My Soundcloud. My games.

Comment

Originally posted by DDRRE View Post
          The revisited menu and defeat cue are great, but I think everyone's gearing towards electro/dubstep themes for this game (I know I am!).

These would've fit better in UT2004.
          Also, for the revisited menu theme, around the 1:20 mark, it's too dynamic. I'd suggest adding some more background instruments or compressing it.
          Dubstep? No. Just no.

Comment

Okay,

here is some more.

This is an "Post match/Map vote cue" , it will play directly after the "victory/loose cue" and loop till the map vote is through/the next map starts:

https://soundcloud.com/fjcomposer/ut...s/ut-1/s-P3qDo

it has a very simple structure but holds enough energy to keep the player motivated.

I also made some entirely new victory and loose Cues(4 each) that are more aggressive.

Victory Cue:

Here is a Playlist link:
            https://soundcloud.com/fjcomposer/se...etches/s-uU2uL

Loose Cue:

And another playlist
            https://soundcloud.com/fjcomposer/se...etches/s-dUepV

I hope these will help in finding the right direction. Another thing to note is that the Victory/Loose cues end on the same chord the Post Match/Mapvote cue starts, that allows a very fluent transition between the two and wont, at least from a harmonic point of view, sound forced/unauthentic.

As always, Im very grateful for any kind of feedback and most of the stuff you guys brought up was right .
            I hope you enjoy it!

Comment

You're starting to get really close now, fantastic stuff.

The map vote cue, it's almost there, just add some more synthetics. I want to hear a very specific synthetic instrument in it, if you can try that out for me It's that screamy acid bass that gets used in Go Down from UT99 and also in Chemical Burn from UT2004. You can leave it creeping in the background, or have long notes as some sort of hits, but the creeping would do really well if you automate the cutoff freq. a bit (notes every 1/8 maybe, depending on your BPM).

I rendered this for you to give you an idea of the sound: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/51891186/acid.wav

You should get this vsti for it, which is great for that sorta stuff: http://www.g-sonique.com/alien303.html

Just get the demo and record bits of audio from it so the noise won't bother you, or get the full version; it's not too expensive :P

It can be done manually with an analog synthesizer and a saturator too, but requires some fiddling around before you get it sounding right.

I'm glad you made multiple victory and losing cues. The last three victory cues are very good, first one is kinda meh. I think you should settle with the second and the third one! Second one for a flag cap, third one for a victory

The first two losing cues are not so fitting, the third one has the right idea, but the wrong chords, try going from C to F (high C, low F), instead of going from A# to C, that way it sounds more as if you've lost the game. The last one is really nice too, but if you would apply that change I proposed to the third one, I'd prefer that above all.

EDIT: Here, this example should be better: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/51891186/acid1.wav

EDIT EDIT: This is my rough take on it, layering it over your track. It's still a bit too noisy (in terms of both actual noise and loudness), because I tried to soften it up with chorus and reverb, because I don't know another way yet: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...86/example.wav

This track here does that soft acid effect very well:

Just to illustrate that effect btw.
              Last edited by Avalanche._; 09-08-2014, 09:27 AM.
              Music Concepts for UT4 (Soundcloud) || Thread || Website

IN-GAME NICKS: Avalanche / <--Archer-<<

Comment

I like the orchestra. I like dubstep too but I feel dubstep is not meant to be in UT. Don't fix something that isn't broken. I feel a perfect tune would be orchestra with some electronic sounds. Just my .02

My wife and I both love the older main theme and I would say a little change but not to the point where you don't recognize it.
                Last edited by IBringsTheRuckus; 09-08-2014, 07:46 PM.

Comment

The between matches music isn't bad, it would fit Blacklight Retribution, but I think it would feel out of place in UT. I'd like the menus to have orchestral music. Save the electronic for the gameplay.

Your newer victory/defeat cues are better, however I think most are indistinguishable. Defeats 1 and 2 could be victories, and victories 3 and 4 could be defeats. The victory motifs should probably ascend and the defeats should descend, I think that might be causing the confusion.
                  Sound designer, composer, flash game dev, and Unreal mapper. My Soundcloud. My games.

Comment

Originally posted by IBringsTheRuckus View Post
                    I like the orchestra. I like dubstep too but I feel dubstep is not meant to be in UT. Don't fix something that isn't broken. I feel a perfect tune would be orchestra with some electronic sounds. Just my .02
                    My wife and I both love the older main theme and I would say a little change but not to the point where you don't recognize it.
                    Hey,
                    could you be more specific on wich tune you mean? Im confused since im very sure that I didnt use any dubstep elements. Just tell me the track and at what second you think its too dubstep'ish and I might overthink what I did .
                    I dont like dubstep at all, thats why im wondering .

Originally posted by Nick_D'Amato View Post
                    Your newer victory/defeat cues are better, however I think most are indistinguishable. Defeats 1 and 2 could be victories, and victories 3 and 4 could be defeats. The victory motifs should probably ascend and the defeats should descend, I think that might be causing the confusion.
                    The idea of differentiating the Map music and the rest is a very good one. I feel an orchestra can easily produce the feeling of beeing part in a tournament and it would also help the player to differentiate between match and non match.
                    Sadly its not that easy, its very hard to make something sound musical, convincing and not boring in less than 5 seconds. The most important part is the harmony, but even then, if only 1 from each category raised your attention they did their job. :P

keep the feedback coming

Comment

Yeah dubstep will never really suit UT.. even tho in some kind of marketing strategy it makes sense, especially because of the new blood that will be coming from UT. Anyway great job man, really cool music so far

Comment

Hey,

here are some more "Flag Capture"-Cues:

https://soundcloud.com/fjcomposer/se...ptures/s-smOqf

Hope you enjoy,

best regards

Comment

The first one sounds too retro with the square wave, the middle one is way too long, and both the middle one and the last one sound too cheerful.

https://soundcloud.com/fjcomposer/se...etches/s-uU2uL

What you did there sounded much more aggressive, much better suited for a game like UT.

I think I mentioned it before, but the second one from those sketches would make an excellent flag capture sound, perhaps you can make another one in the same spirit to represent the other team.
                          Music Concepts for UT4 (Soundcloud) || Thread || Website

IN-GAME NICKS: Avalanche / <--Archer-<<

Comment

Originally posted by hypno View Post
                            Yeah dubstep will never really suit UT.. even tho in some kind of marketing strategy it makes sense, especially because of the new blood that will be coming from UT. Anyway great job man, really cool music so far
                            Yeah i kind agree with the dubstep point. Sure is cool music so far. Finally found this thread as Nonemm was showing me on irc his loading music, which I love
                            http://www.twitch.tv/chumbo_

Comment

Wow, I love the progress you have made on all of these pieces. I love the orchestral elements which is a nice contrast from a lot of the electronic centric pieces. I can hear it playing in front of a menu. I particularly like the cue for voting. I like how it gets more and more intense before it ends, but not too much so that if it loops it won't be too noticeable. Great job!

Comment

Originally posted by MaxCarnage View Post
                                Wow, I love the progress you have made on all of these pieces. I love the orchestral elements which is a nice contrast from a lot of the electronic centric pieces. I can hear it playing in front of a menu. I particularly like the cue for voting. I like how it gets more and more intense before it ends, but not too much so that if it loops it won't be too noticeable. Great job!
                                Thank you Max, I deeply appreciate your comment and im very glad you like it.
                                Im currently working on a different project, I might come back to UT stuff in some weeks.

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to listen to the music, I know its time consuming to give feedback on music - and i appreciate everyones comment here!

Comment

Working...
                                X