Music - Impact Hammer (done)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Music - Impact Hammer (done)

I finished the track, so I decided to post a new thread with a fancy "video", because it catches more attention like that! It's also easier because you can stay on the same page and watch it.

Tadaa

Make sure to watch it in at least 480p if you want semi-decent quality.

The track was composed in Ableton Live 9. The mastering was quite the nightmare to get right, but I guess I learned new things from it : D

People that hate the quality on youtube can check it out in high quality right here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...al%20v7%29.ogg

Leave feedback if you can/want! Latest version is at the bottom of this post!

EDIT: Oh, about the ending, that was just for fun, I can cut it off and make it loop if required.

EDIT2: I want to thank the awesome folks at IRC as well, they gave some great and useful feedback that helped me tons while mastering.

EDIT3: Made tweaks to the piano-ish instrument and the fake brass, cleaned up mastering further, fixed volume errors.. Let me know what you think: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...T4IHtestv1.ogg

EDIT4: If I didn't miss any glaring issues, I think this will be the final version: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...al%20v9%29.ogg

It is officially done now, I will be working on my next concept which will be space-oriented, more about that soon!
    Last edited by Avalanche._; 08-30-2014, 05:14 PM.
    Music Concepts for UT4 (Soundcloud) || Thread || Website

IN-GAME NICKS: Avalanche / <--Archer-<<

15 seconds in I was skeptical. Did you lower my expectations intentionally?

Everything from 0:25 to 2:00 is adrenaline pumping greatness, but then we get 30 secs of those synth pads again (or whatever they are - I'm not a musician) before we go back to the awesome. There's gotta be better pads (or something you can do to them - some kind of wubwub wobble, maybe?) for this track than the ones you used in those segments.

Over all, though, it's a pretty good track.
    also known as Humphro

Comment

Originally posted by Diode View Post
      15 seconds in I was skeptical. Did you lower my expectations intentionally?

Everything from 0:25 to 2:00 is adrenaline pumping greatness, but then we get 30 secs of those synth pads again (or whatever they are - I'm not a musician) before we go back to the awesome. There's gotta be better pads (or something you can do to them - some kind of wubwub wobble, maybe?) for this track than the ones you used in those segments.

Over all, though, it's a pretty good track.
      Tried to mimic a brass section with it, I guess I could try other options then

I synthesize everything from the ground up, so sometimes it can turn out a bit harsher than I intended, plus Ableton's Analog synthesizer has some nasty limitations (or I haven't found out how to lift them yet) that prevent me from making smoother instruments sometimes, but I guess I can get there with some effort. They don't really sound bad to me to be frank though, otherwise I would've replaced them from the very beginning (the pads).

thanks for the comment!
      Last edited by Avalanche._; 08-25-2014, 11:29 AM.

Comment

The final v7 is great. Even if I would prefer to listen the original WAV file, the ogg format sound good

Very UT ! Excellent job & THx for sharing
        Stevie's corner
        My UT4 maps
        Links : UE4 links (guide, tut), UE4 resources, Tools and resources

Comment

Nice one Archer6621. What kind of map do you envision this going along with? I suppose at one point we will need a way to get our music paired up with all of those talented mappers out there.

Comment

Originally posted by MaxCarnage View Post
            Nice one Archer6621. What kind of map do you envision this going along with? I suppose at one point we will need a way to get our music paired up with all of those talented mappers out there.
            Well okay, the track has some futuristic (the heavy synthetic instruments) and some more "mystical/ancient" (choirs, toms, fake brass, harp-like instrument, percussion) parts, but the whole futuristic theme pretty much dominates in it due to the fact that it's mostly synthetic, so I would really want to see this on a futuristic map.

Besides, the track has a "epic" feel to it if you get what I mean, it needs a futuristic map with big open spaces, basically a big interior with stuff in it, kinda like Deck is.

It kinda matches with this map right here that was also shown off during stream, I think DM-Spacer, this is some gameplay from chumbo on it:

I think the track would do very well on that map and on maps with similar open design, also big open CTF maps (that aren't outside) if there are any.

Need to test it yet though, I've only playtested an older version of the track.

Originally posted by Stevelois View Post
            The final v7 is great. Even if I would prefer to listen the original WAV file, the ogg format sound good

Very UT ! Excellent job & THx for sharing
            Well the .wav is rather large, that's why I didn't upload it, but trust me when I say that the difference is extremely minimal :P
            Last edited by Avalanche._; 08-26-2014, 01:01 PM. Reason: adding reply

Comment

Quite good. As someone how has messed around in FL Studio I know how much a ***** mastering can be. The one thing I would personally change would the the pluck sound present throughout. My idea would be either something more gritty sounding, or more ethereal(smooth/sine-waveish) with reverb and a little delay(the melody is fine, just the instrument of choice I'm talking about).
              Current Projects

WIP: Weapon Inspect Animation: CLICK ME

Comment

Originally posted by Borbarad101 View Post
                Quite good. As someone how has messed around in FL Studio I know how much a ***** mastering can be. The one thing I would personally change would the the pluck sound present throughout. My idea would be either something more gritty sounding, or more ethereal(smooth/sine-waveish) with reverb and a little delay(the melody is fine, just the instrument of choice I'm talking about).
                I could make an alternative version of the track with that and changes to the pad as mentioned by Diode above, offering it alongside with this one instead of replacing it.

Comment

This is rather good

Comment

Originally posted by Archer6621 View Post
                    I could make an alternative version of the track with that and changes to the pad as mentioned by Diode above, offering it alongside with this one instead of replacing it.
                    I'm interested in hearing the change.
                    Current Projects

Comment

Originally posted by sneh View Post
                      This is rather good
                      Thank you

I'm interested in hearing the change.
                      To be clear, you mean the instrument that sounds a bit like a synthetic piano/harp, right?

I will work on it this evening and if I can't finish it I'll most likely do it on friday.

Comment

Yes, the pluck sound.
                        Current Projects

Comment

This is great... The track is SOOO UT. I feel like the piano part could have a harder edge, or perhaps, a little more variation. It's not that it sounds bad or anything, don't get me wrong. It just sounds a little out of place to me. Maybe that's just me though.

It sounds very professional though... The compression is excellent. I love that there is still some dynamic range and that it sounds as if there are no instruments overlapping on the sonic spectrum. No muddiness at all. Very nice mix. You'll have to let me / us know what you did to mix this track. Did you put compressors on each part of your drum kit? Only on the master? How did you use your sends?

I'm not a vegetarian because I dislike meat... I'm a vegetarian because I HATE plants!!

"Brightskins are a sanctioned form of cheating..." -- Mahatma Ghandi

Comment

Originally posted by Modulus View Post
                            This is great... The track is SOOO UT. I feel like the piano part could have a harder edge, or perhaps, a little more variation. It's not that it sounds bad or anything, don't get me wrong. It just sounds a little out of place to me. Maybe that's just me though.

It sounds very professional though... The compression is excellent. I love that there is still some dynamic range and that it sounds as if there are no instruments overlapping on the sonic spectrum. No muddiness at all. Very nice mix. You'll have to let me / us know what you did to mix this track. Did you put compressors on each part of your drum kit? Only on the master? How did you use your sends?
                            I've put compressors on almost every attack-heavy instrument in the whole mix, just not in the same degree on every instrument. The drums were split up in four parts: bass-drum, snare, percussion, hi-hats and other noise; didn't put a compressor on that last one since it wasn't really core stuff. Because I did this split up at the last moment, I sometimes accidentally used two compressors per instrument, but I didn't want to change it because it sounded just right : P

I haven't really used the sends to be honest, or any other advanced track routing, because I decided to not make use of side-chaining, I don't think it would add much to this track.

On the master I've put Ozone4, with a fast limiter, multiband stereo imaging (spreading the bass and treble parts mostly), harmonic exciter (also focusing on the treble and bass mostly), some small amounts of reverb and an EQ to finish it. On most of the other tracks I tried to filter away bandwidth that I didn't need from them, with the bx_cleansweep high/low-pass filter, which was recommended to me by Valis over at IRC.

An important trick was the panning: I did a lot of dynamic panning and pan interchanges between the instruments (like when instrument A would go to the left, instrument B would go to the right).

Anyhow, thanks for your feedback, I'll try to do something about the piano thing as more people are getting bothered by it : P

Comment

I dig it, nice job! Have to say I had the exact same thought as Borbarad101, something more sine/pulse like would be more befitting of a sci-fi vibe. I lack the proper terminology to explain my thoughts but it might also be nice to add a second hook to alternate with the current fast paced pluck you have going to switch up pacing a little bit. Something a bit more sweeping/swelling and drawn out as opposed to hitting every major beat. Does that make any sense?

Comment

Working...
                              X