Music concept for space map

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Nice progress on the piece. I love the bells. Sounds like a pretty open and spacious mix, very fitting of the title. Great job Archer6621! Looking forward to hearing more pieces by you!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Pieman22 View Post
    Rice jobb! I do like the changes, but the drums were cool at the intro when they started loud. With less dynamics, however, I think any track will be more suitable for gameplay -- so I guess you better leave its envelope clean and consistent. Overall I think you've made improvement, anyway.
    Well if it's not a big deal, I can always bring them back to their former volume, it's just that they bothered me because they were taking up the space of the other instruments a lot, and this is not the kinda track where I want the drums to be a primary thing.

Thanks for your feedback

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Rice jobb! I do like the changes, but the drums were cool at the intro when they started loud. With less dynamics, however, I think any track will be more suitable for gameplay -- so I guess you better leave its envelope clean and consistent. Overall I think you've made improvement, anyway.
    Last edited by Pieman22; 09-20-2014, 11:20 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Improved clarity to bring it up to par with my other tracks, tried to reduce bells and drums in volume, tried to increase some background synths in volume, widened stereo field a bit.

Here you go https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...6/Orbitv10.ogg

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Mcjansen View Post
    Nice work Archer, what program did u used to compose that track?
    It was composed in Ableton Live 9.1, with individual drum samples from http://sampleswap.org/ (public domain stuff, so no licensing issues).

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Nice work Archer, what program did u used to compose that track?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by FictionalRiot View Post
    Love it so **** much. As an amateur musician, i'm thoroughly fascinated. Great job. Great Unreal vibe.
    Thank you, I'm just an amateur too!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Love it so **** much. As an amateur musician, i'm thoroughly fascinated. Great job. Great Unreal vibe.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by CasueL View Post
    Hey man I really like the tune, the production and sounds used in this one and the retro feel! I'd love to take a moment and give my two cents on where I think music should head for this game though. (In no way am I being disrespectful either, this is just an opinion Music has evolved a lot over the years, it's 2014 and people today listen to a lot of different genres and sounds to what they did 5-10 years ago, and I feel like we should be pushing more forward thinking music/sounds in order to push the game itself forward as a whole, and ultimately, for it to stand the test of time. I totally respect a lot of people wanting to pay hommage to older themes/music styles in the franchise though. I think the tempo and percussion all sounds great but perhaps experiment with some fresh new synths and melodies etc... The question we should ask when making these tunes is, are people going to look back at it in 5-10years from now and is it going to leave an impact on them? Again, this is all personal opinion, music is open minded and doesn't have any boundaries, and in NO way am i intending any disrespect to your demo, or anyone for that matter
    After reading your comment a few times and considering it, I have to respectfully disagree with you (just somewhat though).

The music in games rarely ever was mainstream stuff, or "the genre of the year/decade" stuff. Music in games was made in such a way that it would fit the game. That + having a good quality track that meshes nicely with the in-game sounds are pretty much the only requirements for a game soundtrack, with quality (both mastering and the music itself) especially being important nowadays. There's a good reason why a lot of people still consider the UT franchise soundtracks to be one of the best, it's because the music was simply good quality, and fitted the games very well.

For the record, if you make the game's music in the style that's popular this year, it will actually age much faster than doing something that can stick to the game and fit.

In fact, people that have been paying attention to the gaming world can also observe the interesting throwback to the pixelated games (and their soundtracks) from the early years, but also the throwback to space sims (and their soundtracks), etc etc.. So something that's old could always potentially become "new" again, if you get what I mean.

I basically want to say three things with all the above:
    - Mainstream genres change very rapidly, following them can be much worse than just sticking to something that fits the game better
    - Mainstream genres generally do not apply to games, unless the games are made to attract a mainstream audience (all gamers + non gamers ultimately)
    - Old things can always become new; if they were fit for their purpose back then, they would still fit today for the same purpose.

This does not mean we should not try something new, but it should still fit, and the older games provide fine examples of how their music fitted the game.

What was the power of the UT soundtrack (both 99 and 2004, 3 was basically mostly a remake of 99) though you might ask?

It was variety. There was a bit of everything in there, but all those bits had one thing in common: They fitted the game very well. Barely one track in UT sounded just like the other one, especially true in the oldest of them all, UT99, which was very pleasant because things never became boring like that.

But even in UT2004, there were very stark contrasts between some of the tracks, just look at these two for instance:

This is exactly what I'm trying to do right now, I'm trying to make track concepts in all kinds of genres/types, that still feel as if they belong in an arena FPS like UT, and I think this + having good quality will eventually be the key to a great soundtrack for UT4.

I'm certainly not the best at this, especially lacking in the quality department, but I'm willing to learn and try new things and improve my work to eventually bring it to a more than decent level of quality.
    Last edited by Avalanche._; 09-11-2014, 07:43 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hey man I really like the tune, the production and sounds used in this one and the retro feel! I'd love to take a moment and give my two cents on where I think music should head for this game though. (In no way am I being disrespectful either, this is just an opinion Music has evolved a lot over the years, it's 2014 and people today listen to a lot of different genres and sounds to what they did 5-10 years ago, and I feel like we should be pushing more forward thinking music/sounds in order to push the game itself forward as a whole, and ultimately, for it to stand the test of time. I totally respect a lot of people wanting to pay hommage to older themes/music styles in the franchise though. I think the tempo and percussion all sounds great but perhaps experiment with some fresh new synths and melodies etc... The question we should ask when making these tunes is, are people going to look back at it in 5-10years from now and is it going to leave an impact on them? Again, this is all personal opinion, music is open minded and doesn't have any boundaries, and in NO way am i intending any disrespect to your demo, or anyone for that matter

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by InVader View Post
    Well let's take a tour back in time then:
    UT3 had strong drums, but rarely strong tunes. E.g. even in a track like Temple of Shambala most of the tunes are either "blurred", slightly muffled or quiet compared to the rest. The drums are Then there's Skyward Fire, which is actually a remix. It has more drums of course. In fact, so much, that it kinda pushes the repetitive sharper tunes into the background. That's the secret (I think)! Sharp tunes belong to the background (sort of).

Of course, not everyone loved this (although I'm willing to bet it's mostly just UT3 haters). UT99 soundtrack had a lot of drums, but none were too strong. They were there to keep general feeling of "flowing", while the tunes were mostly smooth. Some were resembling electric guitar, true (like in Organic), but they are used in a way so that you never feel snapped out of the game as you play.

Don't ask me about UT2k4 music. I think it was simply bad, except a very select few (like Cherish You)

Back to your song, around in middle of your song (1:22 - 2:14) you have that 8bit-ish sound going on in the background. See, now that is wonderfully mixed into the music and blends in with the rest of sounds, even though it's a sharp, rough tune. I think that's sort of the aim here (for UT at least). Making that bell sound at the beginning/end slightly quieter would probably solve it for me. I'd even use it on a map, if I was creating one (maybe later when the game is out. I don't have a UE4 subsciption).

So that's that.

Don't let me or anyone else discourage you though! I know I sound most of the time like an ***, but I really like your music. It's just that, you know, this is UT, lol. We are passionate about our games :P Keep doing this! ...at least until competition comes around There's some rumors about the original composers interested in the new UT.

btw. the new version sounds awesome too.

And I figured out which game it reminded me of (it's Turrican, hah, that's epic)... darn it, I'm only 21 and I already feel old xD
    Thanks a lot for your feedback, I appreciate comments like this one a lot, because they're kind and insightful, criticizing the music in a manner that motivates me to improve things!

I will try to soften the bells, but I'm afraid they'll "drown" as a result of it, it will be something I'll look into around the weekend

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Archer6621 View Post
    It's really hard to judge things like that right now for me, UT3 has very punchy sound effects and I'm not sure what direction the sound design will take this time with UT4.

Maybe when some new sounds start popping up, I'll be able to fine tune it to a point where it becomes okay.

The electro bells are a pretty integral part of the track though, I'm afraid I cannot change them much, although I'll keep things like that in mind for my future work.
    Well let's take a tour back in time then:
    UT3 had strong drums, but rarely strong tunes. E.g. even in a track like Temple of Shambala most of the tunes are either "blurred", slightly muffled or quiet compared to the rest. Then there's Skyward Fire, which is actually a remix. It has more drums of course. In fact, so much, that it kinda pushes the repetitive sharper tunes into the background. That's the secret (I think)! Sharp tunes belong to the background (sort of).

Of course, not everyone loved this (although I'm willing to bet it's mostly just UT3 haters). UT99 soundtrack had a lot of drums, but none were too strong. They were there to keep general feeling of "flowing", while the tunes were mostly smooth. Some were resembling electric guitar, true (like in Organic), but they are used in a way so that you never feel snapped out of the game as you play.

Don't ask me about UT2k4 music. I think it was simply bad, except a very select few (like Cherish You)

Back to your song, around in middle of your song (1:22 - 2:14) you have that 8bit-ish sound going on in the background. See, now that is wonderfully mixed into the music and blends in with the rest of sounds, even though it's a sharp, rough tune. I think that's sort of the aim here (for UT at least). Making that bell sound at the beginning/end slightly quieter would probably solve it for me. I'd even use it on a map, if I was creating one (maybe later when the game is out. I don't have a UE4 subsciption).

So that's that.

Don't let me or anyone else discourage you though! I know I sound most of the time like an ***, but I really like your music. It's just that, you know, this is UT, lol. We are passionate about our games :P Keep doing this! ...at least until competition comes around There's some rumors about the original composers interested in the new UT.

btw. the new version sounds awesome too.

And I figured out which game it reminded me of (it's Turrican, hah, that's epic)... darn it, I'm only 21 and I already feel old xD
    Last edited by InVader; 09-10-2014, 03:34 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    This is an experimental version where I tried some exotic tweaks and some less exotic tweaks to hopefully improve the quality of the track, not sure if I succeeded, but here ya go:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...86/Orbitv9.ogg

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by InVader View Post
    That's pretty cool. I'm not a fan of those sharp elektro-bell sounds with which the song begins though. Tried listening to this while playing some UT3 and those sharp sounds kinda snap you out of the game. They remind me of some old Amiga game

However the overall feeling is there! Liked it, saved it
    It's really hard to judge things like that right now for me, UT3 has very punchy sound effects and I'm not sure what direction the sound design will take this time with UT4.

Maybe when some new sounds start popping up, I'll be able to fine tune it to a point where it becomes okay.

The electro bells are a pretty integral part of the track though, I'm afraid I cannot change them much, although I'll keep things like that in mind for my future work.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    That's pretty cool. I'm not a fan of those sharp elektro-bell sounds with which the song begins though. Tried listening to this while playing some UT3 and those sharp sounds kinda snap you out of the game. They remind me of some old Amiga game

However the overall feeling is there! Liked it, saved it
    Last edited by InVader; 09-10-2014, 07:21 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X