What Music Software Do You Use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What Music Software Do You Use?

I am wondering what software people here are using for creating music either electronic synthesized or with recorded loops of real world sounds? Are there any decent free/open source programs for this or at least reasonably priced? The last time I did any synthesized music creation was...like 2000. Have no clue what people are using now days!

I am running on a MacOSX.

Reaper. Not free but not limited just a nag window.

UT4 modding discussion: irc.globalgamers.net #UTModders
    Contrib Digest | UT2341 - Henrik's UT4 Dev Blog | Twitter

Comment

I use Ableton Live, but it's unfortunately not free.

However, I do know one piece of free music software that's pretty awesome (if you can get used to trackers).

This one: http://openmpt.org/features

If you need some good public domain samples (drum samples for instance), I'd recommend this site: http://sampleswap.org/

Modplug also works with VST instruments and effects, for the best free ones of those you gotta check out this site: http://bedroomproducersblog.com/free-vst-plugins/

For sound editing, I'd recommend getting a copy of Cool Edit 2.1 -somehow- (ahem.. yarrrrr.. ahem)

EDIT: Didn't read you were on a Mac, you could consider getting a dual boot with windows for convenience. I think most mac users mainly use Logic Pro, but that's just a guess though!
      Last edited by Avalanche._; 10-30-2014, 08:49 PM.
      Music Concepts for UT4 (Soundcloud) || Thread || Website

IN-GAME NICKS: Avalanche / <--Archer-<<

Comment

Logic Pro 9 for arrangement and mixing. ProTools 9 for sound design and mixing. Neither are free, but I am a fan.

Comment

FL Studio for music arrangements, EWQLSO Gold Edition for music composition.

Neither are free and the other one is God-****ing expensive.
          But perhaps you can pull some strings to make it much cheaper if you were as lucky as I was (for EWQL's case).
          Formerly known as Gmax5 on Epic Games Forums.

Franklin Iheanacho
          [Pronounced: EEH-HON-A-CHO]

- Game Artist & Programmer
          - Unreal Engine Veteran

My Team
          Our Current Game

Comment

Logic and ProTools.

Comment

I like Impulse Tracker a lot. It may be old (recently got to 20 years), but it has been used
              to write most of the UT99 music (along with Scream Tracker 3 and Fast Tracker 2).
              All of them are (mostly free by now) DOS programs.

I haven't wrote anything with IT yet (too lazy), but I've listened to a lot of good modules in .it format.
              It's a sample-based editor, but it's possible to make samples from VST's using Audacity to record.
              There is a modern clone of IT as well, called Schism Tracker. It's free and works on Mac.

If you're into experimentation, you might like SunVox (also a free PC/Mac tracker).
              It uses included synths (generator, fm, spectravoice, etc) and samples.
              Using the various modules you route the sound. SunVox also has a ton of effects included (full list here).
              Last edited by Extruderx; 11-03-2014, 04:30 AM.

Comment

To make truly good sounding music you have to pay. Sure you can get by with free software, but it's not going to compare to what you can make with Ableton, Massive, Spire, or Omnisphere. And don't even get me started on high quality mixing plugins. Things get expensive quickly.
                BeyondUnreal Podcast
                r/UnrealTournament Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by TheWhiteDragon View Post
                  To make truly good sounding music you have to pay. Sure you can get by with free software, but it's not going to compare to what you can make with Ableton, Massive, Spire, or Omnisphere. And don't even get me started on high quality mixing plugins. Things get expensive quickly.
                  To be frank, there's quite a large selection of amazing free or donation-ware VSTs out there. The largest barrier regarding payment are high quality samples of real orchestra instruments as far as I know, you can't easily find those for free.
                  Music Concepts for UT4 (Soundcloud) || Thread || Website

IN-GAME NICKS: Avalanche / <--Archer-<<

Comment

Working...
                  X