Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Space Metal/Djent Music from the Future!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Space Metal/Djent Music from the Future!

The band Periphery has, through my eyes (or ears), perfected a sound that sounds like it comes from a space-age future that isn't cliché.

They have let their tracks be played on video games before, they name some of their tracks after Final Fantasy Swords (or something) and play games themselves. I'll look into how plausible this is, if the interest is here.

New Groove:

Zero:

Extraneous:

I'm think I'm posting this to see if there is interest for the music I would want to hear in the game, perhaps give an interesting direction to somebody re-imagining a classic UT track and spread the good word of djent.

Cheers for your feedback guys!

Cool music which sounds a lot like Meshuggah at first listen. Probably not the sound most people would associate with an UNREAL game though.

Comment

The music wont work for a background context. Simply because of the reason that this music is extremely demanding to listen to, if you show this kind of music to someone who has never heard will propably say its really ****ty because he cant feel whats happening. Too many time signature changes and overall rhythmic complexity isnt a thing for backgroundmusic, backgroundmusic needs to flow and not raise attention, everything that raises intention(like a time signature change) or demands concentration from the listener wont work since it pulls him away from the gameplay.

I tried some pseudo Djent stuff for Hydraulics, you can check my signature if you want to listen to it.
      Nonemms Music Thread DM-Lea(Youtube Soundcloud )
      Fabian Joosten - composer for media

Comment

Definitely would have to agree with you all round. It works so well for me because I've heard it so many times. I had a listen to your track and its got my vote. Do you plan to make more?

Comment

At the moment - no, long term... maybe. Im not sure yet.
          We will see
          Nonemms Music Thread DM-Lea(Youtube Soundcloud )
          Fabian Joosten - composer for media

Comment

Yeah I think Meshuggah and Periphery were some of the first djent bands. UT is more linked to drum and bass, you're right, but there always has been some variety. Maybe a combination could work.

Comment

You might wanna try Paul Wardingham for inspiration on (instrumental) Space/Cyber Metal if you think Periphery is a good idea:

Comment

You are right ! Up to a minute doesn't even have the problem of being too demanding to listen to. This direction, even if its just hinted at, could work well with the new UT sounds turns into.

Comment

As a huge Progressive Djent Metal fan, I'd say don't put this in UT

Maybe something more along these lines ? But again, it eats up your attention... (good excuse to share some good music at least). If the music is simplified there are very nice melodies and lines in Djent Metal songs.
                  Last edited by Raste; 11-05-2014, 09:24 AM.
                  RASTE IN PEACE !
                  Maps: DM-Hydraulics | DM-Affliction
                  Weapon: Redeemer

Comment

Love Periphery but it just won't fit within the game. I associate drum & bass and techno with Unreal Tournament and is easier to comprehend and listen to in the background. If you do hardcore metal and turn it down for background music it won't sound good because it is best listened to with undivided attention. Especially with music like Periphery which is very complex in its timing.

Comment

Animals As Leaders are wicked technical. A good excuse to share music indeed

Comment

Originally posted by Invisigoth View Post
                        Love Periphery but it just won't fit within the game. I associate drum & bass and techno with Unreal Tournament and is easier to comprehend and listen to in the background. If you do hardcore metal and turn it down for background music it won't sound good because it is best listened to with undivided attention. Especially with music like Periphery which is very complex in its timing.
                        Fair point. I think it just works for me because I've heard the songs enough but putting them in the game would be a bad idea. Down the track players could mod in their own songs (or just use Steam music).

Comment

While listening this song, I felt myself playing an Assault campaign on UT2004. Two Steps From Hell always felt like going into war but this one is different; others make me want to grab a broadaxe, this one made me want to grab a rocket launcher... (:

I love epic music and would love to see (hear) some in UT4...
                          Tiny Details That Should NOT Be Forgotten & Dynamic Arenas & UT4 Storyline - Story Design & Gametype Designs: Volleyball - 3-Way CTF & Smartphone/Tablet Integration

Comment

Working...
                          X