Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unreal Tournament OST - Strider (Orchestral Cover)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unreal Tournament OST - Strider (Orchestral Cover)

I have created and released this track a year ago on the UDK Forums simply out of pure boredom. It is basically a orchestral cover of the Strider music track from the original Unreal Tournament. Perhaps this track could be useful to the latest Unreal Tournament. Meanwhile, I am still working on newer creations that could potentially suit the Unreal Tournament gameplay as well as some that will work for my upcoming maps I am also working on behind the scenes for UT(2014).

NOTE - The video is rather outdated compared to the latest download version, bare with me on that.
    Download Strider Z (V3) - https://soundcloud.com/lord-iheanach...ment-strider-z
    Download (V2) - https://soundcloud.com/lord-iheanach...ent-strider-v2
    Last edited by Lord Iheanacho; 01-17-2015, 03:17 AM.
    Formerly known as Gmax5 on Epic Games Forums.

Franklin Iheanacho
    [Pronounced: EEH-HON-A-CHO]

- Game Artist & Programmer
    - Unreal Engine Veteran

My Team
    Our Current Game

So what do you guys think? Any luck with it?

Franklin Iheanacho

- Unreal Engine Veteran

My Team
    Our Current Game

Comment

From an orchestral point of view I could tell you that the piece wouldnt work for a real orchestra.
      • The short String Staccatos in the beginning could never ever work, even if the players rip their strings apart. You should backup the whole staccato figure with woodwinds and/or let the trumpets do that alone, that is the range trumpets are very strong.
      • You are using the trumpets for melody in the beginning, I wouldnt do that. The range they play the melody isnt very nice for trumpets. Its possible to play but its not really good sounding. Id rather crank up the Horns and let them do that alone, when you have 6 guys playing the melody it will work anyway.
      • The overall percussion is way to present for me, leaves the impression that its just a sample mockup because it sounds like the snare for example sits in front of the orchestra(since its so loud)
      • From 0:13, Staccato figures again, I know this is just a remake but some more diversity would be great. A run that leads to a hit or something like that, and again - back that up with woodwinds
      • at 0:42 comes a big problem for me, you hear clipping. Seems like you overcompressed the track or didnt care whats happening with your volume. Also the bottomend seems very overloaded and would need some tweeking.
      • 1:04 again, not a good range for trumpets and I would tone down the strings a bit, they sound too loud compared to the rest of the orchestra
      • 1:48 If you wanted to archive tremolo sound with accented notes with the snare that is not the best way to do it. It sounds very synthi, Arent you using the EW Symphonic orchestra samples? They should have Trem. Snare patches, rather use those.
      • The track becomes more and more overcompressed in the end, clipping in every second(im using the soundcloud example), I highly recommend to remaster it.

All this feedback is meant to be constructive, I know orchestra is overwhelming but only if you know what you do wrong you can learn. If you have more question just let me know and I try to help out and keep working! As long as you enjoy the process of making it everything is fine
      Last edited by Nonemm; 11-07-2014, 05:55 AM.
      Nonemms Music Thread DM-Lea(Youtube Soundcloud )
      Fabian Joosten - composer for media

Comment

Well for starters, there's some heavy limiting going on with the one on Soundcloud.. And overall the one in the video sounds much better and faster paced, much more suitable for a game like UT, I'd simply stick with that version and continue work on it.

That being said, I still think the one in the video lacks a bit regarding the composition for a classical piece of music, I'll give detailed feedback on that later today by editing this post, but to put it short: It doesn't really capture the intensity of the original track, and even nerfs it entirely in some of the key areas (most notably the build up at 0:54, listen to that same build-up on the original).

EDIT: I'll leave the feedback to Nonemm above, he's familiar with orchestral stuff and pretty much outlined most of the problems, although I'll still try to elaborate a bit later today
        Last edited by Avalanche._; 11-07-2014, 03:58 AM.
        Music Concepts for UT4 (Soundcloud) || Thread || Website

IN-GAME NICKS: Avalanche / <--Archer-<<

Comment

Originally posted by Nonemm View Post
          From an orchestral point of view I could tell you that the piece wouldnt work for a real orchestra.
          • The short String Staccatos in the beginning could never ever work, even if the players rip their strings apart. You should backup the whole staccato figure with woodwinds and/or let the trumpets do that alone, that is the range trumpets are very strong.
          • You are using the trumpets for melody in the beginning, I wouldnt do that. The range they play the melody isnt very nice for trumpets. Its possible to play but its not really good sounding. Id rather crank up the Horns and let them do that alone, when you have 6 guys playing the melody it will work anyway.
          • The overall percussion is way to present for me, leaves the impression that its just a sample mockup because it sounds like the snare for example sits in front of the orchestra(since its so loud)
          • From 0:13, Staccato figures again, I know this is just a remake but some more diversity would be great. A run that leads to a hit or something like that, and again - back that up with woodwinds
          • at 0:42 comes a big problem for me, you hear clipping. Seems like you overcompressed the track or didnt care whats happening with your volume. Also the bottomend seems very overloaded and would need some tweeking.
          • 1:04 again, not a good range for trumpets and I would tone down the strings a bit, they sound too loud compared to the rest of the orchestra
          • 1:48 If you wanted to archive tremolo sound with accented notes with the snare that is not the best way to do it. It sounds very synthi, Arent you using the EW Symphonic orchestra samples? They should have Trem. Snare patches, rather use those.
          • The track becomes more and more overcompressed in the end, clipping in every second(im using the soundcloud example), I highly recommend to remaster it.

All this feedback is meant to be constructive, I know orchestra is overwhelming but only if you know what you do wrong you can learn. If you have more question just let me know and I try to help out and keep working! As long as you enjoy the process of making it everything is fine
          Will do. I will work on the track some more.

This was originally an experimentation attempt after all. It was not really designed for use in a major project such as the latest Unreal Tournament. I just simply uploaded the music track in such a state to test the reaction and response of the audience so i can see what i was doing wrong with some of my music scores, but barely gotten much response on that in the UDK Forums last year. I am glad I am finally getting some real responses here now.

Thank God for backups on FL Studio right?
          Last edited by Lord Iheanacho; 11-08-2014, 04:44 PM.

Franklin Iheanacho

- Unreal Engine Veteran

My Team
          Our Current Game

Comment

It's got a good sound, but I really dont like the change in tempo throughout the song. I think the drums could be slightly more muted too.

Comment

I'd love for the game to have orchestral music like 2k4. But as someone else said, it doesn't sound realistic. The strings especially. Aside from that, my main complaint would be the snare drums part at 1:40, it's way too repetitive and boring. Stick a french horn melody over it, or a choir. Or both.

It just needs some work.
              Sound designer, composer, flash game dev, and Unreal mapper. My Soundcloud. My games.

Comment

Alright folks, been quite a while since I posted (mostly due to college devouring my time), but I have worked on a newer version of the track. Hopefully it will fit the music style of Unreal Tournament (though the Strider track was already an orchestral score to begin with). Though I can not exactly consider this an orchestral cover anymore. Might have to change the title.

https://soundcloud.com/lord-iheanach...ment-strider-z

Still improving on the track as i can't consider it done yet.
                Last edited by Lord Iheanacho; 01-16-2015, 11:42 PM.

Franklin Iheanacho

- Unreal Engine Veteran

My Team
                Our Current Game

Comment

Any luck with the newer version thus far?

Franklin Iheanacho

- Unreal Engine Veteran

My Team
                  Our Current Game

Comment

I'm not sure what's going on at 0:55 - 1:15, it's very dissonant, it seems not all the instruments are playing in the same key. The brass particularly.

Comment

Those synths are really out of place. They're also too loud. Not saying synths can't work, but not that specific sound.
                      You should open up the original UMX in OpenMPT or something, and listen to every channel on every pattern to find some of the parts you've missed. Adding in many of the missing parts would really help make the whole thing more interesting. For example, in the bridge that's in 0:23-0:34 in your version, in the original version there was also an arpeggio between several notes, played in the original on pizzicato strings.
                      The new UT is coming along nicely...
                      Maybe a new Unreal would be a good idea for Epic's next project? It's certainly somewhat overdue...

Comment

Working...
                      X