Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WIP heavy track - Thundercrash

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    WIP heavy track - Thundercrash

    =====
    DONE!
    =====




    Normal MP3: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...undercrash.mp3
    Looping MP3: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...undercrash.mp3

    Normal WAV: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...undercrash.wav
    Looping WAV: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...undercrash.wav




    Original thread below:

    So yeah, working on a new WIP. The reason why I never finish a track first before starting a next one is to prevent myself from forgetting about fresh ideas that I get; have to write everything down I come up with! Another reason is that I often learn quite a bit of new tricks with each track I make, which I can then use to enhance my previous WIP projects. I will try to finish Astra at some point next week, which is intended for FRAG's map

    So enough about that, on to the track.


    This is a bit of an experiment, want to try to make this style of heavy music fit UT. The biggest difficulty obviously remains making it not so distracting in-game. Generally speedy and loud music with a lot of things going on can be distracting, so I'll probably have to nerf either the speed or the loudness/fullness eventually (but hopefully not!). At the other hand, having some heavy music going on while fragging off people's heads can be quite fitting.

    I made some breakthroughs with emulating real-life instruments with synthetics, especially the electric guitar received a lot of enhancements from when it was used @ my track Destroyer which inspired me to come up with this one.


    The track is currently in heavy WIP, which means that I basically mostly copy pasted loops of notes I've written at the appropriate places, and did some minor editing here and there, so basically mostly a blockout with not so many details just to demonstrate the idea. The track will be called Thundercrash because I thought this particular kind of heavy music would fit those guys (it's not as heavy as Juggernaut music would be for instance).

    Anyhow, this is all progress so far: (check below for update)

    Feedback is appreciated


    UPDATE:

    Progress so far: ----check below----


    UPDATE:

    V4: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...rtrackv4-1.mp3
    Last edited by Avalanche._; 03-02-2015, 11:43 AM. Reason: Finished track
    Music Concepts for UT4 (Soundcloud) || Thread || Website

    IN-GAME NICKS: Avalanche / <--Archer-<<

    #2
    I really like it! Definitely a music track that belongs in UT!

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by AndehX View Post
      I really like it! Definitely a music track that belongs in UT!
      I'm glad you like it!


      I've continued work on it, this is what I got so far: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...dercrashv3.mp3

      I'm still pretty much blocking out stuff, but this layout is probably going to stick, maybe made a little bit longer with one extra variation somewhere.

      I plan to add some variation to the guitar as well, because it has some good potential for that. Drums will receive some more attention too, have plans for a nice and zappy sound effect.
      Music Concepts for UT4 (Soundcloud) || Thread || Website

      IN-GAME NICKS: Avalanche / <--Archer-<<

      Comment


        #4
        As said in IRC, this is great as it is in my opinion. 10/10

        Comment


          #5
          V. 3

          Another good one Archer. It sound very UT

          Your my top UT4 sound concepter you know

          My only suggestion would be that when you add synth at 0:49 and 1:53 then remove the guitar. The guitar is great and the synth too but the fact they are added together at the same time doesn't make them stand out while listening. Perhaps start with the guitar and then and after 64 beats switch to the synth or vise-versa ?? That way, the track will last a bit longer too

          It is an excellent start
          Stevie's corner
          My UT4 maps
          Links : UE4 links (guide, tut), UE4 resources, Tools and resources

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by piemo View Post
            As said in IRC, this is great as it is in my opinion. 10/10
            Glad you like piemo, I'll think about the feedback you gave in IRC but it will probably come on its own because it's more a matter of detailing

            Originally posted by Stevelois View Post
            Another good one Archer. It sound very UT

            Your my top UT4 sound concepter you know

            My only suggestion would be that when you add synth at 0:49 and 1:53 then remove the guitar. The guitar is great and the synth too but the fact they are added together at the same time doesn't make them stand out while listening. Perhaps start with the guitar and then and after 64 beats switch to the synth or vise-versa ?? That way, the track will last a bit longer too

            It is an excellent start
            And you are my favorite fan, haha!

            Anyhow, I'll think about your proposal, I generally dislike stripping away things because it reduces intensity, but in this case it might prove to be beneficial. I think by synth you meant the string-ish pads, the problem is that their harmony sequence is not a loop but rather a whole, so I can't swap between that and guitar very easily without making it sound weird. I might just try to remove the guitar and see how that turns out

            I also made minor adjustments to the current version because Ableton Live liked to bother me with phasing issues with one of the synths, so after some figuring I fixed that.

            Stay tuned for more!

            EDIT: Note that I've also setup a website for my music, link is in my sig!

            I'll soon put up downloads overthere!
            Last edited by Avalanche._; 11-11-2014, 04:00 PM.
            Music Concepts for UT4 (Soundcloud) || Thread || Website

            IN-GAME NICKS: Avalanche / <--Archer-<<

            Comment


              #7
              Hey ,

              just listened, some things I noticed:

              I would shorten the intro, it takes nearly a minute before everything is kicking in. When everything kicks in it would be great so see some more variation in what your guitar does, it plays the same for 1minute - which might work for a background context but i think its always important to make a track also interesting for non ingame purposes. The strings you use at 1:49 have a tad too much attack, they sound off beat sometimes.

              My overall concern is the a lack of variation, you currently have 1 A part that goes through the whole track . Try to make a B part and then go for a A B A B scheme or something like that. If you want to stick with one A part you should go for some harmonic changes/variation throughout the song, one very easy way to attract listeners again is to simply transpose everything up by a diminished second after several playthroughs of A.

              Hope this helps
              Nonemms Music Thread DM-Lea(Youtube Soundcloud )
              Fabian Joosten - composer for media

              Comment


                #8
                Another fantastic start, Archer!

                Something about your tracks just sounds so very... "UT" to me. Looking forward to the evolution of this one, and the time when we get some maps to start pairing music with!
                Jim Brown
                @EntropicDev
                Epic Games

                Comment


                  #9
                  Well, I'm sure you will come up with something better for the next version I wish it would last a bit longer too like 3:30.

                  I was looking at your website which I found cool & simple. I was asking myself what is the meaning of (R) beside the track name ?

                  I suggest you add the version beside the track so listeners know what version they're listening like; Remastered, Final v.3 for example

                  Your stating to have a very nice track collection there
                  Stevie's corner
                  My UT4 maps
                  Links : UE4 links (guide, tut), UE4 resources, Tools and resources

                  Comment


                    #10
                    This is fantastic. Well done Archer. Great use of some familiar sounds from the previous Unreal games.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by Nonemm View Post
                      Hey ,

                      just listened, some things I noticed:

                      I would shorten the intro, it takes nearly a minute before everything is kicking in. When everything kicks in it would be great so see some more variation in what your guitar does, it plays the same for 1minute - which might work for a background context but i think its always important to make a track also interesting for non ingame purposes. The strings you use at 1:49 have a tad too much attack, they sound off beat sometimes.

                      My overall concern is the a lack of variation, you currently have 1 A part that goes through the whole track . Try to make a B part and then go for a A B A B scheme or something like that. If you want to stick with one A part you should go for some harmonic changes/variation throughout the song, one very easy way to attract listeners again is to simply transpose everything up by a diminished second after several playthroughs of A.

                      Hope this helps
                      Thanks for the elaborate feedback, I'll definitely think about your points, although I'm probably going to lean towards 1 A part with (harmonic) variations and varying breaks (slightly like how Razorback was), because it suits this kind of track better.

                      I'm not sure what you mean with the "kicking in" though, it just takes 20 seconds for it to start with the guitar+drums which is fine to me. If you mean when the full picture starts (strings + guitar + drums + etc etc) well that's just my style, I tend to build-up a lot instead of starting with the heavy part right at the beginning, although I have some examples where I do this as well :P

                      I'll work on variation when I have the base track entirely blocked out.


                      Originally posted by Entropy View Post
                      Another fantastic start, Archer!

                      Something about your tracks just sounds so very... "UT" to me. Looking forward to the evolution of this one, and the time when we get some maps to start pairing music with!
                      Looking forward to it as well, thank you for commenting!


                      Originally posted by Stevelois View Post
                      Well, I'm sure you will come up with something better for the next version I wish it would last a bit longer too like 3:30.

                      I was looking at your website which I found cool & simple. I was asking myself what is the meaning of (R) beside the track name ?

                      I suggest you add the version beside the track so listeners know what version they're listening like; Remastered, Final v.3 for example

                      Your stating to have a very nice track collection there
                      I'll make it longer deffo

                      About my site: Everything there is latest, unless the final/new version is very different from the original, in which case I add (Rewrite) behind the track and list both the old one and the new one. The (R) is explained above the section, it means that the track might be rewritten some day


                      Originally posted by GnrlSpecific View Post
                      This is fantastic. Well done Archer. Great use of some familiar sounds from the previous Unreal games.
                      Thanks
                      Music Concepts for UT4 (Soundcloud) || Thread || Website

                      IN-GAME NICKS: Avalanche / <--Archer-<<

                      Comment


                        #12
                        The intro reminds me of Unreal's Noork Elbow OST (Hub 4)

                        The rest somehow feels like mix of Unreal Original Series and UT2004

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Amazing. (10 chars)

                          Comment


                            #14
                            This is awesome

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Took long enough, but update on this one: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...rtrackv4-1.mp3


                              It's not finished yet, but getting closer, with more variation and length and some mastering tweaks (wider guitar for instance).

                              It was a bit hard to pick up on it again after some months because I was used to the previous version, but I'll still be tweaking the entire arrangement, might shorten it slightly.

                              Aside from that, it's going to be a matter of polish, some of the new guitar riffs I added need some tweaks to sound less fake.
                              Last edited by Avalanche._; 02-26-2015, 06:13 PM.
                              Music Concepts for UT4 (Soundcloud) || Thread || Website

                              IN-GAME NICKS: Avalanche / <--Archer-<<

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X