Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sound carries too far

Hi,

I've been testing ut4 for a couple of days now. I find sound travels too far. As a ut99 player, Im used to only hearing my imidiate surroundings. Now I can hear when some1 picks up belt 2 rooms away. I think sound should travel less far. This for overal gameplay and competitive purposes.

i totally agree with you, there is so much sound/noise that I basicly losing my head in it. You literally cant surprise enemy with sudden attack from back or something, because he can hear your footsteps from miles away.

Comment

Agreed here, it has a very disorienting effect for some reason, I tend to use sound a lot in other games.
      Music Concepts for UT4 (Soundcloud) || Thread || Website

IN-GAME NICKS: Avalanche / <--Archer-<<

Comment

Our audio setup is currently based on what you would potentially hear in an open, unobstructed space. My initial settings were loosely based on UT3, and we've done a fair amount of tweaking since then. I don't believe we have any audio occlusion in at this time, however, so that's probably what you're noticing.

There's still a significant amount of work to be done in this area, we're just resource constrained right now. Our hope is that one day we'll have a much more robust audio system that will handle this, and many other, cases.
        Jim Brown
        @EntropicDev
        Epic Games

Comment

Yea this audio is so confusing for me since you can't rely on the sound at all, it's impossible to tell if the player is around the corner or on the other side of the map, therefore you have to rely on your vision 100% so far. :P It's a bit PITA for me personally who is used to a very accurate positioning so that I can tell roughly distance and direction and if it's on a higher or lower floor but yea UT4 I just have to constantly watch my back since I have no idea from where the enemies comes from due to non-working positioning and depth retrieval. :P

I'm using 5.1 speakers with headphones so could be 5.1 setting is even more broken than stereo, I haven't tried but yea I stick to 5.1 constantly and this is like the first time I felt such a lack of positional cues in any game I've played so it's a bit "interesting contrast". :P In CTF I've had bio sounds appearing right in my face being in the middle of the map despite the shots comes from like the bases somewhere lol.

UT3 for example it worked very well and also UT2k4. UT99 was quite okay.
          Last edited by RPGWiZ4RD; 11-18-2014, 03:53 PM.

Comment

The biggest problem is the bio rifle, no matter where on the map its fired it always sounds like its on top of you, causing you to do a pointless 360 as no one is around. Its got a lot better i admit but its still the by far the worst offender.
            Join the community Facebook page
            https://www.facebook.com/pages/Unreal-Tournament-4-Community/302380673298678

Comment

Okay, good to know it's not just me. Didn't get answers regarding this in other threads. This is one of the things that makes the current game really hard for me to play. Yeah the bio is rough. I'm always turning around for that. Well it sounds like it will be addressed at some point so there's hope.
              Unreal Carnage.com UT4 Maps: DM-Maelstrom DM-SpaceNoxx

Comment

I've had a few duels and it's impossible to hear whether the enemy is behind or in front of you either. I don't like the sound at all

Comment

Originally posted by code187 View Post
                  The biggest problem is the bio rifle, no matter where on the map its fired it always sounds like its on top of you, causing you to do a pointless 360 as no one is around. Its got a lot better i admit but its still the by far the worst offender.
                  I think I just fixed this one. #FingersCrossed
                  Jim Brown
                  @EntropicDev
                  Epic Games

Comment

Wooooohooooo! \o/

Comment

Agreed. I can't tell where any sounds are coming from. My fancy sound card doesn't do a thing for this game.

Comment

Originally posted by Entropy View Post
                        My initial settings were loosely based on UT3, and we've done a fair amount of tweaking since then.
                        To be honest though, UT3 wasn't very good for sound either. Everything were either way too loud or too low, to this day I haven't found a volume at which I'm fully comfortable playing UT3. Explosions blows everything else out of the water, hell - they blow the water away entirely. I get it, they do this in real life, but Unreal isn't. I'd like to be able to hear my mates without either turning the game volume way down or the VOIP volume way up. I would very much like to keep my hearing from degrading further since I'm already hearing impaired
                        Both UT1 and UT2004 is fine sound so I've no idea how the UT3 soundmess happened to begin with
                        Last edited by dac; 12-06-2014, 09:22 PM.

Comment

In all honesty, as a headphone user I have no problem telling where sounds are coming from. The 3D positioning is fine. The sounds do carry too far away, however, I wouldn't obstruct it to the point where you can't hear stuff that happens in the next room.

Comment

Working...
                          X