Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WIP - Music concept for temple/castle/mystic maps

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    WIP - Music concept for temple/castle/mystic maps



    MP3: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...fNaPaliM2L.mp3
    WAV: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...fNaPaliM2L.wav

    Old description:

    So with more of these temple/castle themed maps coming up it will also become necessary to make some tracks that are more oriented towards this mystic mood and ambiance. You probably don't want to hear only DnB or other electronic styles on a map like DM-Temple for instance.

    Currently I'm working on a concept that could possibly be useful for this purpose.

    This is my progress after one hour so far, it's basically just a bare concept: Update below

    It might still sound a bit too cheesy for UT regarding the arrangement/sequences, but I got the instrument set and the overall sound almost where I want to work with it, so that's a good thing.

    Stay tuned for updates as I'll be changing and updating this concept, feedback is always welcome


    UPDATE:

    Progress so far: -Check below-

    Added/changed lots, listen for yourself


    UPDATE:

    Cleaned it up a bit, and added another little piece, also tried to partially implement Stevelois' advice: Check below


    UPDATE:

    Progress so far: Update below

    Track will be called Monks of Na Pali


    UPDATE:

    Final version for now: Check below

    Cleaned it up, added various little things and changed notes/arrangement here and there where I felt it was appropriate to do so. Made sure everything transitions more or less smoothly. I'll await feedback from Epic on this one (after I ask obviously ) before it becomes "final final".


    UPDATE:

    Improved clarity/mastering, actual final version until feedback: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...fNaPaliM2L.mp3
    Last edited by Avalanche._; 01-06-2015, 12:46 PM. Reason: Improved mastering, 6-1-2015
    Music Concepts for UT4 (Soundcloud) || Thread || Website

    IN-GAME NICKS: Avalanche / <--Archer-<<

    #2
    A cool song i wish me this for the Temple Maps as Music

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by Chris UT4 View Post
      A cool song i wish me this for the Temple Maps as Music
      Well it's not there yet, I need to put a lot more thought into it, maybe I'll have some time for that tomorrow : P
      Music Concepts for UT4 (Soundcloud) || Thread || Website

      IN-GAME NICKS: Avalanche / <--Archer-<<

      Comment


        #4
        Made progress: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...6/Mysticv2.mp3
        Music Concepts for UT4 (Soundcloud) || Thread || Website

        IN-GAME NICKS: Avalanche / <--Archer-<<

        Comment


          #5
          v. 2

          Really a nice start

          Love all those effects here and there. It suit the theme perfectly.

          Therefore, I have some suggestions :

          1 - The type of sound at the beginning (fade in) is cool but sound a bit techy. I suggest you try a different sound like a flute or something that sound more hand made instrument instead of synthetic.

          2 - The beat is cool but it sound very familiar to the other tracks you've made. You might want to try a slower tempo, like half the actual tempo with more punch instead of a less punchy fast drum.

          I must say, it's a very nice and cool start Archer

          Hope it help !
          Stevie's corner
          My UT4 maps
          Links : UE4 links (guide, tut), UE4 resources, Tools and resources

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by Stevelois View Post
            Really a nice start

            Love all those effects here and there. It suit the theme perfectly.

            Therefore, I have some suggestions :

            1 - The type of sound at the beginning (fade in) is cool but sound a bit techy. I suggest you try a different sound like a flute or something that sound more hand made instrument instead of synthetic.

            2 - The beat is cool but it sound very familiar to the other tracks you've made. You might want to try a slower tempo, like half the actual tempo with more punch instead of a less punchy fast drum.

            I must say, it's a very nice and cool start Archer

            Hope it help !
            Thanks you once again for your valuable feedback Stevelois :P

            I tried a little bit of both points, but in some places drum rhythm is still a placeholder. For the first point I tried to slightly adjust the sound of the instrument, I'm aiming for some kind of low moan, like nali praying or something, so you may see it change still :P

            I also cleaned up the last version and added some more bling: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...6/Mysticv3.mp3
            Music Concepts for UT4 (Soundcloud) || Thread || Website

            IN-GAME NICKS: Avalanche / <--Archer-<<

            Comment


              #7
              This sounds really promising so far. I like the opening portion a lot

              Comment


                #8
                v. 3

                Originally posted by Archer6621 View Post
                Thanks you once again for your valuable feedback Stevelois :P
                My pleasure

                I tried a little bit of both points, but in some places drum rhythm is still a placeholder. For the first point I tried to slightly adjust the sound of the instrument, I'm aiming for some kind of low moan, like nali praying or something, so you may see it change still :P
                Yep, it is the kind of sounds I was referring to (NaPali & such). It's just that I do not know how to translate my ideas in English I don't like to use Google translate neither since results are often more funny than precis.

                I also cleaned up the last version and added some more bling: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...6/Mysticv3.mp3
                I love the additions !

                Your going in the right direction
                Stevie's corner
                My UT4 maps
                Links : UE4 links (guide, tut), UE4 resources, Tools and resources

                Comment


                  #9
                  Haha, got more, just last bits for today though, still have to decide whether I want to make it much longer or not :P

                  https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...6/Mysticv4.mp3

                  Also added some synth action later on in the track as requested by CaptainMigraine, it's still WIP-ish though so it's subject to change.
                  Music Concepts for UT4 (Soundcloud) || Thread || Website

                  IN-GAME NICKS: Avalanche / <--Archer-<<

                  Comment


                    #10
                    v. 4

                    ****, v. 4 is impressive Archer. I really like the changes / additions.

                    At some points, it remind me some Buddha's bar songs because the overall sound is rather Indian for me. You might want to reach a more Aztec / Maya type of sound ?

                    If I can make a little suggestion ; I think that if you can incorporate some sample dialog from Unreal 1 NaPali's peoples it would be great. I remember they said few words in the game. A simple word or 2 well put into the track would be enough imo.

                    In all, v. 4 is great and very different from your previous track which is really awesome. It demonstrate you are a versatile music creator
                    Last edited by Stevelois; 12-10-2014, 11:20 AM.
                    Stevie's corner
                    My UT4 maps
                    Links : UE4 links (guide, tut), UE4 resources, Tools and resources

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by Stevelois View Post
                      ****, v. 4 is impressive Archer. I really like the changes / additions.

                      At some points, it remind me some Buddha's bar songs because the overall sound is rather Indian for me. You might want to reach a more Aztec / Maya type of sound ?

                      If I can make a little suggestion ; I think that if you can incorporate some sample dialog from Unreal 1 NaPali's peoples it would be great. I remember they said few words in the game. A simple word or 2 well put into the track would be enough imo.

                      In all, v. 4 is great and very different from your previous track which is really awesome. It demonstrate you are a versatile music creator
                      Might be because I used some east-asian -ish instruments in it, but this is hard to change now and might require a completely different approach/concept.

                      I went ahead and finished it for now though :P (Unless I notice a problem that somehow eluded me).

                      This how it turned out: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...6/Mysticv5.mp3

                      Lots of cleaning up and tried to change the drums to sound a bit more "massive" and spacey. Also lots of small addition here and there, I'm sure you'll notice ;D

                      I recommend people to put this one while fragging in DM-Temple and then tell me how it feels, if it meshes well enough with the concept etc.

                      In the mean time I'll ask Jim/Entropy for some feedback on this one.
                      Music Concepts for UT4 (Soundcloud) || Thread || Website

                      IN-GAME NICKS: Avalanche / <--Archer-<<

                      Comment


                        #12
                        v. 5

                        Well, your fast !

                        I understand and the track is great with the last changes. I dig the latest changes and this new track will become one of favorite when final

                        In case you might want to incorporate some sounds, I found some samples

                        Sample 1, Sample 2, Sample 3, Sample 4
                        Stevie's corner
                        My UT4 maps
                        Links : UE4 links (guide, tut), UE4 resources, Tools and resources

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by Stevelois View Post
                          Well, your fast !

                          I understand and the track is great with the last changes. I dig the latest changes and this new track will become one of favorite when final

                          In case you might want to incorporate some sounds, I found some samples

                          Sample 1, Sample 2, Sample 3, Sample 4
                          And from a familiar face even! I know Unfa from Xonotic, he's cool, mainly sound designer, but also a musician

                          However I can fairly easily recreate those samples with synthesizers, which allows me to give them more fidelity when necessary, these samples are very "warm" if you get what I mean, they lack a high end and might be better to build around instead of just mixing in.

                          Sample 4 is interesting (hilarious comment from the author below it too), but not for this track, I might keep that one although I don't like the little license that hangs underneath it, because I usually morph/modify my samples until they can't be recognized anymore; I can probably achieve a similar sound with some reverb tricks.

                          In fact now I think of it, I once made a sample all by myself that might fit here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/kim5l8u54hwp0nd/COOL.wav?dl=0

                          It just needs some EQ tweaking, but nothing problematic.

                          I might think about contributing to that website (freesound), seems fun for when I feel like messing around with sounds, I got a little folder with stuff I made a while back but it's nothing that much interesting though: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ozmzd13jy...EdDT_Fapa?dl=0
                          Last edited by Avalanche._; 12-10-2014, 12:27 PM.
                          Music Concepts for UT4 (Soundcloud) || Thread || Website

                          IN-GAME NICKS: Avalanche / <--Archer-<<

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by Archer6621 View Post
                            And from a familiar face even! I know Unfa from Xonotic, he's cool, mainly sound designer, but also a musician

                            However I can fairly easily recreate those samples with synthesizers, which allows me to give them more fidelity when necessary, these samples are very "warm" if you get what I mean, they lack a high end and might be better to build around instead of just mixing in.
                            Yep, I know what you mean.

                            Sample 4 is interesting (hilarious comment from the author below it too), but not for this track, I might keep that one although I don't like the little license that hangs underneath it, because I usually morph/modify my samples until they can't be recognized anymore; I can probably achieve a similar sound with some reverb tricks.

                            In fact now I think of it, I once made a sample all by myself that might fit here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/kim5l8u54hwp0nd/COOL.wav?dl=0

                            It just needs some EQ tweaking, but nothing problematic.
                            I didn't thought this kind of sounds could be easily synthesis ! In fact, this Cool sample fit's very well with the track You can use it for intro or outro you know, your call

                            I might think about contributing to that website (freesound), seems fun for when I feel like messing around with sounds, I got a little folder with stuff I made a while back but it's nothing that much interesting though: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ozmzd13jy...EdDT_Fapa?dl=0
                            The link doesn't work for me but indeed, it can be fun
                            Stevie's corner
                            My UT4 maps
                            Links : UE4 links (guide, tut), UE4 resources, Tools and resources

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by Stevelois View Post
                              The link doesn't work for me but indeed, it can be fun
                              Strange, it works for me

                              Anyhow, added vid + MP3 and WAV version to the thread, will do the same for my main music thread.
                              Music Concepts for UT4 (Soundcloud) || Thread || Website

                              IN-GAME NICKS: Avalanche / <--Archer-<<

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X