My music inspired by Unreal Tournament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My music inspired by Unreal Tournament

Hi guys. I am currently recording my first album called Soul System Override, it is designed for visual media, especially for video games.
    I wanted to share this song with you since It was influenced by Unreal Tournament (Frank Klepacky, John 5 , Sonic Mayhem are just some of my fav. artists)
    Let me know what you think:
    Last edited by Mrazomor; 12-13-2014, 02:26 PM.

Neither of the three artists you mentioned ever made a track for any UT or Unreal. They're more the guys that did stuff for quake and C&C series (Klepacky and Sonic Mayhem at least).

Therefore I'd say the track more or less sounds like something from those games instead (I can hear quite a bit of Red Alert 2 influence, and some bits from quake 2).

Comment on the track itself: maybe you can try to widen up the guitar a bit, much like in this one from RA2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxhna1wNO2k

Also, the snare drum sounds weird being cut off like that (especially in the "first" slap in a bar), you should either add some re-verb to it or not cut it off.

For a five minute track there sure is a bit of repetition present. I personally believe that repetition can be a good thing when used correctly, repeating awesome bits of the track at the right time can prove beneficial to the overall composition, but excessively doing it can have quite a negative effect.

For instance, the first part 0:00 - 1:07 basically gets repeated in almost exact the same state. If you would've changed some more of the rhythm, melody or harmony for that second part it would've sounded a lot better.

Especially the fact that you're saying that this is for visual media (games etc), and then repeat that same part at the end again makes it even more repetitive because when it loops you would essentially hear the same part 3 times after each other. If this part would've been small, it would not have mattered that much, but in this case we're talking about nearly 3 minutes of same sound.

The rest of the track is cool, too much of that square screaming effect present for my taste, but the track is mastered well and it feels good to hear that familiar sound from them good old games
    Music Concepts for UT4 (Soundcloud) || Thread || Website

IN-GAME NICKS: Avalanche / <--Archer-<<

Comment

Originally posted by Archer6621 View Post
      Neither of the three artists you mentioned ever made a track for any UT or Unreal. They're more the guys that did stuff for quake and C&C series (Klepacky and Sonic Mayhem at least).

Therefore I'd say the track more or less sounds like something from those games instead (I can hear quite a bit of Red Alert 2 influence, and some bits from quake 2).

Comment on the track itself: maybe you can try to widen up the guitar a bit, much like in this one from RA2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxhna1wNO2k

Also, the snare drum sounds weird being cut off like that (especially in the "first" slap in a bar), you should either add some re-verb to it or not cut it off.

For a five minute track there sure is a bit of repetition present. I personally believe that repetition can be a good thing when used correctly, repeating awesome bits of the track at the right time can prove beneficial to the overall composition, but excessively doing it can have quite a negative effect.

For instance, the first part 0:00 - 1:07 basically gets repeated in almost exact the same state. If you would've changed some more of the rhythm, melody or harmony for that second part it would've sounded a lot better.

Especially the fact that you're saying that this is for visual media (games etc), and then repeat that same part at the end again makes it even more repetitive because when it loops you would essentially hear the same part 3 times after each other. If this part would've been small, it would not have mattered that much, but in this case we're talking about nearly 3 minutes of same sound.

The rest of the track is cool, too much of that square screaming effect present for my taste, but the track is mastered well and it feels good to hear that familiar sound from them good old games
      Thank you for your review.
      I absolutely agree with you. Exactly the same things you noticed actually bothered me a little bit and I am glad that you pointed them out

1- I cut off the snare bcs I kinda wanted trance drums like in GOA or PSYTrance and not punchy snare since I have defined kick drum. Hopefully I wont make that mistake in next song.

2- Repetition of main part without additional harmony and progression:
      I actually didn`t wanted repetition but I did it 3 times as you mentioned bcs I expected that it would be too much for people these days XD,
      that is why I left main part simple and added a little bit of shredding in the middle of the song to brake the brain-dead repetition.
      Second and main reason why I left it so simple and repetitive was for players so they could immerse in gameplay without paying 2 much attention on music progression.
      It seems today that people like simple music and that was keeping me away from adding another harmony and articulations in part from 0:00-1:07.

Thank you for analysis, I really needed someone to tell me this. I was stubborn to listen myself :P
      You are good listener.
      Best regards
      Last edited by Mrazomor; 12-13-2014, 10:04 PM.

Comment

Pretty much what Archer said. It's too present and the player will be more attentive to the music than the game. Also this doesn't really sound UT to me. (just my opinion)
        RASTE IN PEACE !
        Maps: DM-Hydraulics | DM-Affliction
        Weapon: Redeemer

Comment

Working...
        X