Feedback on my music

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feedback on my music

I'm not sure if this thread belongs here, but I want to compose music for UT when I get better at it.

I'm very new to this stuff, I just got my new samples running a week ago. I've done a little composition before that but the Mixcraft default instruments are pretty bad and they held me back a lot.

I especially feel bad posting CoD music here. But my friend and I had a lot of fun with this game when it came out, and it is nostalgic for me.

https://soundcloud.com/nicholas-dama...-adaption-wip4

I've tried improving it over the last couple days but keep getting stuck. I know the mixing is poor at 0:28. Part of the problem is I'm still trying to figure out what I want to do there. 0:45 on is original, except the underlying guitar riff was based on something else in the game. I know it's pretty generic, but this is just for practice. I compose more advanced piano music, it's just hard to compose something great in software I'm still learning to use.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Here's the original piece for reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAPTY9qKV04
    Sound designer, composer, flash game dev, and Unreal mapper. My Soundcloud. My games.

To me the drums sound wrong if you're looking to point at something. They should be more powerful, right now they're a bit thin; not so much bass and very narrow on the stereo field, also quite the lack of re-verb, they don't feel as if they're being played in the same room as the other instruments. They don't accompany the more dramatic instruments too well because of this. They seem to get more bass around 1:19, but it sounds strange, the bass lacks punch and seems to have too much release, making it sound like a more continuous stream of bass rather than punches, some compression would help there, or perhaps a different instrument choice.

Other than that, I feel that another thing that makes the piece sound a bit dry is the lack of presence in the background instruments that make up the main harmonies, for instance at 0:35-0:41 the brass basically takes over and the background harmony that should be accompanying it cannot be heard anymore. This also becomes slightly better around 0:53, but still a tiny tiny bit too soft for my taste.

Also, the lead guitar you used is too narrow, needs to be wider, this is pretty usual for lead guitars according to what I've heard so far, it's also like that in the original you linked.
    Music Concepts for UT4 (Soundcloud) || Thread || Website

IN-GAME NICKS: Avalanche / <--Archer-<<

Comment

I definitely see what you mean regarding the drums. I will try to fix that. I'm just glad the timing didn't bother you too much. Everything was played by ear with little MIDI editing. I couldn't quantize because I'm working in the wrong tempo as I didn't know what the tempo was supposed to be. My music knowledge has some gaps. I'm working on that as fast as I can.

I was thinking the same thing about the accompaniment at the climax. I was trying to make the brass the most prominent so the listener had something to follow and it didn't sound muddy. I probably overdid it.

When you say the guitar is too narrow, what do you mean? Should it play more octaves? I'm not using a good sample, it's actually just a built in Mixcraft instrument with some EQ.

Thanks so much, this definitely gives me something to go on.
      Sound designer, composer, flash game dev, and Unreal mapper. My Soundcloud. My games.

Comment

When I say narrow, I'm always talking about the stereo field

Narrow = mostly centered, not much going on left and right
        Wide = instrument has a good amount of presence in the sides and feels like it surrounds the music
        Music Concepts for UT4 (Soundcloud) || Thread || Website

IN-GAME NICKS: Avalanche / <--Archer-<<

Comment

Working...
        X