My announcer test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My announcer test

I decided to try my hand (voice?) at an announcer pack. Here is a little demo of multi kill sounds. Take note that the announcer you hear in previous UT games is very produced to sound bigger and boomier. All I have added at the moment is reverb. Feedback appreciated.

Updated 3-4-15 with a brand new take. I found my balls that I had lost last night and went at it again.

There isn't really much production, so if you want raw audio to try yourself, just PM me.
    Last edited by SatansFather; 03-04-2015, 11:53 AM.

The holy **** got me standing up applauding.
    Steam
    irc.globalgamers.net #galaxy #unrealtournament #ut4pugs
    UT Username - nvz
    gg! Galaxy Gaming Community

SPECS
    || Core i5-4670k @ 4.2 gHz || ASUS GTX 1070 4GB VRAM ||ASUS VG248QE ‑ 24in 144Hz || Random 54 inch TV || Mouse - Razer Deathadder Chroma || Keyboard - Microsoft Sindwinder X4 || Case - Cyberpower Titan X || 16 gb DDR3 RAM || Logitech g930 Wireless Surround sound Headset || Steelseries QCK heavy + Mouse pad ||

#PREALPHA

Comment

I feel like its really missing a bit of gruffness to it, not just that but all the lines sound like they're being pronounced casually rather than them being a big deal and that really kind of doesn't give me an "enthusiastic announcer" vibe too.

I feel that it needs to sound more raw, tough, and enthusiastic overall.

Comment

Originally posted by MacD11 View Post
        I feel like its really missing a bit of gruffness to it, not just that but all the lines sound like they're being pronounced casually rather than them being a big deal and that really kind of doesn't give me an "enthusiastic announcer" vibe too.

I feel that it needs to sound more raw, tough, and enthusiastic overall.
        Scratch what I originally posted here, check OP for new take.
        Last edited by SatansFather; 03-04-2015, 11:49 AM.

Comment

Really cool!
          https://vk.com/dealenx

Comment

Originally posted by SatansFather View Post
            Scratch what I originally posted here, check OP for new take.
            I like it! Although, if possible, it could sound a little more "growly" i guess in places (like "Holy ****!"), but overall its much better than what you first had. I'd say the only thing that could keep you back from being used in game is your mic atm, but other than that you are pretty much golden!

Comment

Originally posted by MacD11 View Post
              I like it! Although, if possible, it could sound a little more "growly" i guess in places (like "Holy ****!"), but overall its much better than what you first had. I'd say the only thing that could keep you back from being used in game is your mic atm, but other than that you are pretty much golden!
              Yeah the Holy **** part was what I was least satisfied with overall in this take. I couldn't decide how I wanted it to come out. My mic is a Shure SM58, which is the gold standard (not best) for studio voice recording, but I need to play with the environment and positioning more for a final take. It felt a lot more natural holding the mic and getting in a death metal vocal position lol.

Comment

I would even add the h-h-h-h-h-holy **** just like M-M-M-MONSTER KILL-KILL... or L-L-L-L-LUDICROUS KILL-KILL-KILL....! What would you call that, echo effects, reverb, flanger??? I don't know enough about audio editing software to remember these things...
                Last edited by Dr.ToxicVenom; 03-04-2015, 09:44 PM. Reason: forgot stuff
                Trust me, I'm a doctor.

Dr.ToxicVenom: "How bout we duel, and let our skill decide who's right and who's wrong? I'm in Unreal Carnage [Dallas] Right now. Come join."
                MonsOlympus: "How about you work your way up the ranks first then we'll talk LAN, until then. Have fun trying to find people to play against you and your crappy attitude, good night!"
                Dr.ToxicVenom: "DAAAAAAMN! That dodge was almost as good as my multi-dodge. Nice!"

Comment

Originally posted by Dr.ToxicVenom View Post
                  I would even add the h-h-h-h-h-holy **** just like M-M-M-MONSTER KILL-KILL... or L-L-L-L-LUDICROUS KILL-KILL-KILL....! What would you call that, echo effects, reverb, flanger??? I don't know enough about audio editing software to remember these things...
                  Like this? https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...onsterkill.wav

Just recorded the sound from the vid and messed around with it.

Also made one with lower pitch to see how it would sound, I think it sounds pretty badass: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...terkilllow.wav

The repeating M at the beginning was a bit difficult because it was pronounced a bit differently here, perhaps recording a separate sample with "me" would help, repeating that in front of it.

But good work SatansFather, great announcer voice!
                  Music Concepts for UT4 (Soundcloud) || Thread || Website

IN-GAME NICKS: Avalanche / <--Archer-<<

Comment

Originally posted by Archer6621 View Post
                    Like this? https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...onsterkill.wav

Just recorded the sound from the vid and messed around with it.

Also made one with lower pitch to see how it would sound, I think it sounds pretty badass: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...terkilllow.wav

The repeating M at the beginning was a bit difficult because it was pronounced a bit differently here, perhaps recording a separate sample with "me" would help, repeating that in front of it.

But good work SatansFather, great announcer voice!
                    Thanks! I really like the way that sounds with the pitch shift. I tried playing with that on my end but I didn't have a Pro Tools plugin that does it without making it sound unnatural (or maybe I didn't try hard enough with what I had). I'm satisfied with Double Kill and Monster Kill, but I wanna do another take on the rest. I'll try to get around to it tomorrow but we'll see. If I PM you some new sounds and a better "M" sound, could you edit them? I also noticed that you might be able to take the beginning of Multi Kill and use that for the repeating M on monster.
                    Last edited by SatansFather; 03-05-2015, 12:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SatansFather View Post
                      Thanks! I really like the way that sounds with the pitch shift. I tried playing with that on my end but I didn't have a Pro Tools plugin that does it without making it sound unnatural (or maybe I didn't try hard enough with what I had). I'm satisfied with Double Kill and Monster Kill, but I wanna do another take on the rest. I'll try to get around to it tomorrow but we'll see. If I PM you some new sounds and a better "M" sound, could you edit them? I also noticed that you might be able to take the beginning of Multi Kill and use that for the repeating M on monster.
                      For the pitch shift it's better to use plain re-sampling, since it's going to be a rather small factor anyway and that way you will not end up with artifacts, what you heard was the sample re-sampled to 110% of its original length.

But sure, if you send over the samples then I'll process them and post them here again

And yes, the multikill 'M' could work, but I'd have to try it first, ideally I'd have something like a dull "muh" repeated in front of the Monsterkill shout.
                      Last edited by Avalanche._; 03-05-2015, 04:52 AM.
                      Music Concepts for UT4 (Soundcloud) || Thread || Website

IN-GAME NICKS: Avalanche / <--Archer-<<

Comment

I mixed the raw audio in this video. I am hoping to lend my services an an audio engineer, for mixing and mastering. I've been mixing music for over 20 years. And I have a bit of game audio sound design experience working on mutators and maps in the past.

This is a "rough" mix/master but pretty close to "polished" sounding (it's a 1st mix). I listened to UT99 and UT3 announcers for some inspiration, and to make sure this would be up to snuff.

p.s. @ Archer6621, I don't mean to steal any thunder - I was PMing SatansFather about mixing these vocals back when he had his old take on here.

Comment

Originally posted by tarnationsauce2 View Post
                          I mixed the raw audio in this video. I am hoping to lend my services an an audio engineer, for mixing and mastering. I've been mixing music for over 20 years. And I have a bit of game audio sound design experience working on mutators and maps in the past.

This is a "rough" mix/master but pretty close to "polished" sounding (it's a 1st mix). I listened to UT99 and UT3 announcers for some inspiration, and to make sure this would be up to snuff.

p.s. @ Archer6621, I don't mean to steal any thunder - I was PMing SatansFather about mixing these vocals back when he had his old take on here.

Nice production value! Certainly amps up the intensity of the announcer. Love the aggressiveness to it! Great work!

Comment

So is getting the person who voiced the reward announcer for previous UT games out of question? I think UT3's rewards were top notch already, just perhaps it could've used more "character" and editing for important rewards like Monster Kill and Godlike (UT2004 default male announcer did it fine).

Also please do not go beyond Monster Kill for multi kills. Ludicrous Kill never sounds better than Monster Kill and Holy **** is too "out there" next to the rest of multi kills that all end with word "Kill".

While slightly less relevant, I'd like to discuss the reward messaging system. In UT3 you had all the stuff at the lower part of the screen besides Multi Kills that were at the upper part and I believe it was done very well. In UT4 everything seems to be at the upper part and some messages tend to get hidden/overriden/delayed when there's a lot to be displayed. Is it gonna change?

Comment

Originally posted by hleV View Post
                              So is getting the person who voiced the reward announcer for previous UT games out of question? I think UT3's rewards were top notch already, just perhaps it could've used more "character" and editing for important rewards like Monster Kill and Godlike (UT2004 default male announcer did it fine).

Also please do not go beyond Monster Kill for multi kills. Ludicrous Kill never sounds better than Monster Kill and Holy **** is too "out there" next to the rest of multi kills that all end with word "Kill".

While slightly less relevant, I'd like to discuss the reward messaging system. In UT3 you had all the stuff at the lower part of the screen besides Multi Kills that were at the upper part and I believe it was done very well. In UT4 everything seems to be at the upper part and some messages tend to get hidden/overriden/delayed when there's a lot to be displayed. Is it gonna change?
                              I agree Monsterkill should be the biggest kill of all. Ludacris and Holy **** make me cringe.
                              For killing sprees I don't mind Massacre past Godlike.

Yeah the UT3 and UT99 announcers were the best. Certainly not the Tony the Tiger announcer. lol I don't know who did those voices, but unless he wants to do it for free I don't see how it could be done. Unless Epic still has some of his old unused tracks that they already own.

Comment

Working...
                              X