My announcer test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Check out this voice, especially from 1:00, maybe it will give you some inspiration
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2DEDo7i0u4

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Plz keep these from UT99 pleeeease!!
    It the only one thing left from the original game. I mean seriously... the Headshot announcer is just amazing!!!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    The secret with the UT Announcer is to not overdo it. The best delivery, IMO, is fairly straightforward and dry. It's intense, but not melodramatic. The same holds true for the mastering. A bit of tweaking is good, but by the time its coming out at frequencies below the human vocal range with reverb and flange and whipped cream and sprinkles, it's jsut too much.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Pretty good concepts, I'd like the ludicrous kill and holy sh** part, don't know why it doesn't
    feature that in UT3.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I've noticed that UT99 multikills don't have Mega Kill. That makes Monster Kill come too early IMHO (after 5 kills only). UT2004 was a little extreme with its 8-kill+ Holy **** reward, but Mega Kill should be in UT4.

This page does incorrectly list Mega Kill:
    https://wiki.unrealengine.com/UT_Reward_Announcer_Audio
    It also does not mention repeated Godlike reward (with sound but no message) which happens every 5 kills after first Godlike (25 kills). Also multikills do not reset upon death, among other mistakes. Page seems pretty outdated.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I'm also for dropping Ludicrous and HS... just unnecessary.

Side note, I did my own take on the announcer a while back, they're quite old by now but I'd be willing to have another go at it if anyone likes them: https://forums.unrealtournament.com/...I-made-in-2010 - actually maybe I'll do it one way or another anyway, I think I nailed Monsterkill, but my equipment quality was suffering a bit back then so some others ended up a bit muffled.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by hleV View Post
    So is getting the person who voiced the reward announcer for previous UT games out of question? I think UT3's rewards were top notch already, just perhaps it could've used more "character" and editing for important rewards like Monster Kill and Godlike (UT2004 default male announcer did it fine).

Also please do not go beyond Monster Kill for multi kills. Ludicrous Kill never sounds better than Monster Kill and Holy **** is too "out there" next to the rest of multi kills that all end with word "Kill".

While slightly less relevant, I'd like to discuss the reward messaging system. In UT3 you had all the stuff at the lower part of the screen besides Multi Kills that were at the upper part and I believe it was done very well. In UT4 everything seems to be at the upper part and some messages tend to get hidden/overriden/delayed when there's a lot to be displayed. Is it gonna change?
    I agree Monsterkill should be the biggest kill of all. Ludacris and Holy **** make me cringe.
    For killing sprees I don't mind Massacre past Godlike.

Yeah the UT3 and UT99 announcers were the best. Certainly not the Tony the Tiger announcer. lol I don't know who did those voices, but unless he wants to do it for free I don't see how it could be done. Unless Epic still has some of his old unused tracks that they already own.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    So is getting the person who voiced the reward announcer for previous UT games out of question? I think UT3's rewards were top notch already, just perhaps it could've used more "character" and editing for important rewards like Monster Kill and Godlike (UT2004 default male announcer did it fine).

Also please do not go beyond Monster Kill for multi kills. Ludicrous Kill never sounds better than Monster Kill and Holy **** is too "out there" next to the rest of multi kills that all end with word "Kill".

While slightly less relevant, I'd like to discuss the reward messaging system. In UT3 you had all the stuff at the lower part of the screen besides Multi Kills that were at the upper part and I believe it was done very well. In UT4 everything seems to be at the upper part and some messages tend to get hidden/overriden/delayed when there's a lot to be displayed. Is it gonna change?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by tarnationsauce2 View Post
    I mixed the raw audio in this video. I am hoping to lend my services an an audio engineer, for mixing and mastering. I've been mixing music for over 20 years. And I have a bit of game audio sound design experience working on mutators and maps in the past.

This is a "rough" mix/master but pretty close to "polished" sounding (it's a 1st mix). I listened to UT99 and UT3 announcers for some inspiration, and to make sure this would be up to snuff.

p.s. @ Archer6621, I don't mean to steal any thunder - I was PMing SatansFather about mixing these vocals back when he had his old take on here.

Nice production value! Certainly amps up the intensity of the announcer. Love the aggressiveness to it! Great work!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I mixed the raw audio in this video. I am hoping to lend my services an an audio engineer, for mixing and mastering. I've been mixing music for over 20 years. And I have a bit of game audio sound design experience working on mutators and maps in the past.

This is a "rough" mix/master but pretty close to "polished" sounding (it's a 1st mix). I listened to UT99 and UT3 announcers for some inspiration, and to make sure this would be up to snuff.

p.s. @ Archer6621, I don't mean to steal any thunder - I was PMing SatansFather about mixing these vocals back when he had his old take on here.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by SatansFather View Post
    Thanks! I really like the way that sounds with the pitch shift. I tried playing with that on my end but I didn't have a Pro Tools plugin that does it without making it sound unnatural (or maybe I didn't try hard enough with what I had). I'm satisfied with Double Kill and Monster Kill, but I wanna do another take on the rest. I'll try to get around to it tomorrow but we'll see. If I PM you some new sounds and a better "M" sound, could you edit them? I also noticed that you might be able to take the beginning of Multi Kill and use that for the repeating M on monster.
    For the pitch shift it's better to use plain re-sampling, since it's going to be a rather small factor anyway and that way you will not end up with artifacts, what you heard was the sample re-sampled to 110% of its original length.

But sure, if you send over the samples then I'll process them and post them here again

And yes, the multikill 'M' could work, but I'd have to try it first, ideally I'd have something like a dull "muh" repeated in front of the Monsterkill shout.
    Last edited by Avalanche._; 03-05-2015, 04:52 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Archer6621 View Post
    Like this? https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...onsterkill.wav

Just recorded the sound from the vid and messed around with it.

Also made one with lower pitch to see how it would sound, I think it sounds pretty badass: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...terkilllow.wav

The repeating M at the beginning was a bit difficult because it was pronounced a bit differently here, perhaps recording a separate sample with "me" would help, repeating that in front of it.

But good work SatansFather, great announcer voice!
    Thanks! I really like the way that sounds with the pitch shift. I tried playing with that on my end but I didn't have a Pro Tools plugin that does it without making it sound unnatural (or maybe I didn't try hard enough with what I had). I'm satisfied with Double Kill and Monster Kill, but I wanna do another take on the rest. I'll try to get around to it tomorrow but we'll see. If I PM you some new sounds and a better "M" sound, could you edit them? I also noticed that you might be able to take the beginning of Multi Kill and use that for the repeating M on monster.
    Last edited by SatansFather; 03-05-2015, 12:12 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Dr.ToxicVenom View Post
    I would even add the h-h-h-h-h-holy **** just like M-M-M-MONSTER KILL-KILL... or L-L-L-L-LUDICROUS KILL-KILL-KILL....! What would you call that, echo effects, reverb, flanger??? I don't know enough about audio editing software to remember these things...
    Like this? https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...onsterkill.wav

Just recorded the sound from the vid and messed around with it.

Also made one with lower pitch to see how it would sound, I think it sounds pretty badass: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...terkilllow.wav

The repeating M at the beginning was a bit difficult because it was pronounced a bit differently here, perhaps recording a separate sample with "me" would help, repeating that in front of it.

But good work SatansFather, great announcer voice!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I would even add the h-h-h-h-h-holy **** just like M-M-M-MONSTER KILL-KILL... or L-L-L-L-LUDICROUS KILL-KILL-KILL....! What would you call that, echo effects, reverb, flanger??? I don't know enough about audio editing software to remember these things...
    Last edited by Dr.ToxicVenom; 03-04-2015, 09:44 PM. Reason: forgot stuff

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by MacD11 View Post
    I like it! Although, if possible, it could sound a little more "growly" i guess in places (like "Holy ****!"), but overall its much better than what you first had. I'd say the only thing that could keep you back from being used in game is your mic atm, but other than that you are pretty much golden!
    Yeah the Holy **** part was what I was least satisfied with overall in this take. I couldn't decide how I wanted it to come out. My mic is a Shure SM58, which is the gold standard (not best) for studio voice recording, but I need to play with the environment and positioning more for a final take. It felt a lot more natural holding the mic and getting in a death metal vocal position lol.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X