Hit sounds/damage numbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hit sounds/damage numbers

i know the original ut99/2k4 didnt have these by default. They were implemented on comp ut servers via the plug in, but is it possible either of these could be implemented by default. I understand if devs/community are sticking to the roots of the game and just leaving them out.
    ive been playing so much comp tf2 the last year that these features have been engraved into my brain that i just cant function without them.
    Thanks anyway

Amarinder

Originally posted by Amarinder View Post
    i know the original ut99/2k4 didnt have these by default. They were implemented on comp ut servers via the plug in, but is it possible either of these could be implemented by default. I understand if devs/community are sticking to the roots of the game and just leaving them out.
    ive been playing so much comp tf2 the last year that these features have been engraved into my brain that i just cant function without them.
    Thanks anyway

Amarinder
    I admit I love the hit sounds as well. I'm sure theres been a lot of heated discussions about this and as you said they were "unofficially" added later on and this will be the case in the future.
    Soundcloud / Soundtracks Thread

Comment

I'd love an option for hitsounds, really got used to them via quake/xonotic, it has this sort of satisfying feel to it that you know for sure that you've hit someone.
      Music Concepts for UT4 (Soundcloud) || Thread || Website

IN-GAME NICKS: Avalanche / <--Archer-<<

Comment

Feedback for damaging your opponent is very important and does feel very rewarding (rewarding = player retention).

The feedback should happen in at least 3 ways:
        1) Opponent blood splat (or sparks off vehicle).
        2) Crosshair momentarily turn red.
        3) An audible sound that is unique.

Nothing is as rewarding as a good hit sound. In past UT's there are hitsounds by means of a slightly louder "pain" or grunt sound from your target.
        It was not nearly as rewarding or as good of feedback as UTComp cowbell hitsound (I think that sound was lifted from TF2). That cowbell sound is too cartoony for UT4 core game, and I remember UT99 has a nice "tink" hitsoundand in the past UT stock hitsounds were far too subtle in the interest of not annoying casual players or detracting from the "realism" of the game.

I think UT4 core game should have hit sounds, configurable by simply saving a "hitsound.WAV" to a directory (or load from the UI), and the hitsound should have volume control and the ability to disable it.

As far as damage numbers, I think that is a bad idea for the core game.

Comment

fair dos. Damage numbers would create less tension during engagements but a pitch adjusted hit sound is always nice. especially when you hit that air flak secondary. the low pitched "dong" is beautiful.

Comment

Hi! Here's my first post in these incredible forums.
            I agree that it would be great to get auditory feedback on hit sounds. Not only does it sound satisfying, but it also assists with the competitive aspect of the game. Players will be easily able to tell when they hit an enemy.
            I was actually conversing with a friend the other day who was into Quake, and he mentioned that the one thing he loved about that game was the hit sound. He went on to talk about how he liked it when games enabled you to customize said sound. From a competitive gamer's standpoint, a hit sound would be really nice. Perhaps later today I will try and design a hit sound for the game, just to test the idea.

Comment

Having spoken to the majority of competitive players, the desired solution is pitch based hitsounds which aren't limited by line of sight etc etc

Persinally I think this is the best way to implement them and it is very obvious that players want this feature as it's been modded into the game in every single version the franchise has seen. I don't understand epic's reasoning for disliking them.
              :|

Comment

cheers for the positive feedback
                as a lot of my friends including myself are quitting comp tf2 due to life and the requirement of finding a team, im encouraging them to start playing this new ut (instead of that overwatch poop). Even if epic dont want hitsounds in the game as a perma feature. At least a tick box allowing us to enable/disable seems to be the best way to go.
                best of both worlds as such.
                ah well would be nice if they take this account
                thanks again
                amarinder

Comment

Working...
                X