Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think that there is already enough games with movie score-like soundtracks. UT always has had a strong identity while managing to offer a variety of different soundtrack styles in the same time and personally I would like this to keep being this way. Also, I think that even though there is variety, electro always took the crown in UT and I believe it should keep in this direction.

Comment

Do we have the ability to dynamically change the EQ of audio tracks in-game? For instance, if I shoot a shot from a pulse gun, can each shot in turn create a dip in the bass? I think it might be interesting to cut a track into parts (kicks, snares, synths, whatever) and have the gameplay dynamically change the BGM a bit. Kill the bass with each shot of a pulse gun and perhaps have the sound of the firing replace a kick?

Comment

Taunts are terrific and a UT trademark (UT3 Bishop had some great ones!), but audio feedback for damage taken would add a new layer of tactics.
        My Unreal game collection.
        Unreal series screenshots (2560x1440)

Comment

I think that soundtrack should be a bit of a mix between UT99 and UT2k4. The 99-styled soundtrack should be used for smaller maps with a bit more ambient, while the bombastic UT2k4 soundtrack should be used for gamemodes such as Onslaught or Assault.

Comment

Hey everybody, I'm aware that I'm somewhat necro-posting in this thread here, but I've been playing a lot of UT today, and thought I should weigh in with some thoughts as to the direction of the soundscape. As a bit of background, I'm just coming off the end of doing a lot of technical audio work for a mod, and have a few thoughts and reflections on that, that I thought might be at least constructive.

Originally posted by Entropy View Post
            If I had to capture the soundscape for THIS UT, I would say:
            - somewhere between Bladerunner and (the original) Highlander in tone
            - technical mix of sci-fi synth and crisp mechanical
            - flippant, but not whimsical

Which of these is your UT? Or is it something else entirely?
            I think whilst it's important to have an overall direction and aesthetic to mesh everything together, there are a lot of modern games that I feel over-emphasise cohesion to the point where the soundscape becomes kind of indistinct. I want to point out two reasons why I feel this approach is not great for UT:

1st - UT, more than a lot of games, relies heavily on a player's situational awareness to 'work'. Being able to tell, for instance, what weapon is being fired where, who just picked up what powerup, etc, is a huge part of the gameplay, and this is something that good sound design can hugely enhance. And sure, the current sound set is kind of unpolished, but it still works in that regard. Simply put, I feel that variety and distinctiveness should take precedent over strong thematic cohesion.

2nd - This is far more personal preference and rose-tinted spectacles, but I always felt that Unreal Tournament 99 and 2004's 'kitchen sink' approach to theme was one of the franchise's real strengths, and it's something I really hope continues here.

Tl;dr, I'm all for technical/mix cohesion (of course), but I feel that having a very strictly defined and cohesive theme does not play to a game like Unreal Tournament's strengths. Hope this ramble makes some sense!

Comment

My opinions...

All the music and sounds from all the iterations of UT are great BUT (A really big BUT) The only music that does it for me is the original UT99, I actually have ALL the music ripped from every iteration and actually have them on my Trucks Hard Drive. Basically the only one that creates real emotion is the UT99 Tracks.

If this game is going to be called Unreal Tournament I believe it needs UT99 sounds.

Please do not tell me how it all needs to be "new" just like everyone else in every forum here keeps saying it is not UT99, well then call it something else other than Unreal Tournament.

The Speed, Movement, Weapons and "feel" need to be Unreal Tournament 99 as doe the sound/music.

The only thing that brought me here was the thought of a modern remake of the original game, not one more bs average game...
              "LET'S MAKE SOME GIANT MAP REMAKES"

Comment

Originally posted by AFVENOM View Post
                My opinions...

All the music and sounds from all the iterations of UT are great BUT (A really big BUT) The only music that does it for me is the original UT99, I actually have ALL the music ripped from every iteration and actually have them on my Trucks Hard Drive. Basically the only one that creates real emotion is the UT99 Tracks.

If this game is going to be called Unreal Tournament I believe it needs UT99 sounds.

Please do not tell me how it all needs to be "new" just like everyone else in every forum here keeps saying it is not UT99, well then call it something else other than Unreal Tournament.

The Speed, Movement, Weapons and "feel" need to be Unreal Tournament 99 as doe the sound/music.

The only thing that brought me here was the thought of a modern remake of the original game, not one more bs average game...
                I agree. Also I really miss old tracks like 'The Course' or 'Run'!
                CHAOS en Krojerk Gaming - UT Maps gameplay, Full Unreal Walkthrough and more!

Comment

I really loved the music from UT3. It was well suited for the style and characters of the game. I also liked how the Map music arrangements were set up with the Intro , Victory , Tension, Action, Suspense, ect. Music would change up when the Flag was taken. It worked well! However new game New style, New Music! Match it up and make it interesting! When it comes to implementing the music...give us options!

Edit: Now after thinking about it. That would be a much needed blueprint (or better yet code) for MapMusic. A blueprint that can read the state of a match and play music depending on said state. Any more thoughts?
                  Last edited by Megasporwic; 01-02-2017, 05:00 PM.
                  Running the Mega Hub for everyone to enjoy!

Comment

use the ut classic soundtrack and itll be fine xD

Comment

Entropy, I appreciate your style of grabbing terms, references, and thoughts to describe sound design.

For me, the one common element of the UT and even Unreal series in general are locales that have a sense of isolation, distance, and age, with the veneer of "sci-fi" over top like a wrapper. It's like ancient fantasy coopted by sci-fi. The UT series has had many different elements of sound that were not congruent in theory, but together made a strange soundscape that worked. Often times the ambient, natural, echoey, nature of the space was overlaid with thick, heavy, mechanical interaction of the players. But absent the players, the howl of the whipping wind... the echo of dripping water off the stone... the wind chimes in the distance... THAT was UT. The drone of some alien corridor leading into the bowels of who knows where... the creaking of some rusty derelict platform... THAT was UT. If I'm in a desert environment, I could HEAR the sand. If I'm up on the precipice of a mountain, I could HEAR the deafening height and thin atmosphere. If I'm in space, I could HEAR the void. (Is that possible? )

Looking through my list there, I also think others on this thread have it right: extreme variety seems to be another staple of UT in both the locales and soundscapes/music therein, and really set it apart from other FPSs in that regard.

I wasn't a giant fan of the YouTube tracks danpaz3d chose to link to as music examples, which veered too much toward random interpretive dub-step and D&B (even though I like the dubstep genre of music.) UT is more akin to chillstep in some ways. I think of UT tracks as having a smooth, ethereal base overlaid with a higher paced techno or simplistic melodic layer. Certainly Timothy Seals hit the nail on the head with this one:

Even the harder tracks in UT maintained a synth quality that made them both unique and "video game nerd" accessible, veering far away from the cliche. I really think everything about the original UMX tracks from UT and Unreal need to be studied very closely, because it's one of the most unique and atmospheric game OSTs available that truly gave UT it's voice. I would even hearken to that retro UMX synth sound when possible in new tracks... not everything needs reinvented. Having those nods as a sort of "motif" would be far more than nostalgic, it would be a key ingredient setting the atmosphere. I'll follow this with a post of good examples of past UT tracks.

In terms of player/weapon sounds, I always like to reference Quake/DooM here. It doesn't matter what FPS you're talking about, ALL FPSs feel better when there's WEIGHT and PUNCH to the weapon/player sounds. Mechanical: YES. Clanky: YES. Power: YES. (On a slightly side note, I've always thought it would be neat to have more subtle sounds associated with weapons that aren't being fired. Brushing, clinking, ratcheting, steam discharging, plasma charging, etc. There should be more to back up the player's movement and general existence than "steps".)

And and for the multiple people in here that mentioned Tokara Forest's music: agreed, one of the best environments and music tracks ever:
                      Last edited by nightcabbage; 03-07-2017, 09:13 AM.

Comment

The following are great examples of the series' OST strong points.

UT99 atmospheric (which are the best type of UT tracks IMO):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Z-hfGqjP0Q
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ql8GWBkA7L0
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qR9kvbXt4tk
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbn_dH9nz6o

UT99 harder (and sometimes tribal) stuff:
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9TJmLrJEzM
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4v5kp3Avz0
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwqb-dIEvM4

UT2k4’s music departed greatly from the original and was cringe-worthy IMO. Often times trying to be dramatic and orchestral, the whole thing reminded me of a poorly made action flick OST. However, it had a few redeemable tracks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6hu6jyA4sw
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-EqnOWOZbc
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wn68156rHcw Tokara Forest baby!

And this could be a downward spiral veering off from UT, but I'll throw one in from Unreal (and a remix no less!):

Last edited by nightcabbage; 03-07-2017, 09:14 AM.

Comment

From memory, UT has always been adrenaline pumping with big guns and cool music tracks. In recent years, the only other game title that gave me similar vibes was the most recent Killer Instinct game on Xbox One.

Audio - During combo
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_npw1PPnCJg

Audio - During normal fight
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62F29Gej5qs

Audio - Another fight
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5U6DQiPm6B0

Everything about that game is musical. The player can just open the menu and as the player moves up and down it creates a mini music track. Every sound effect in the game feels like its own little music track that blends with the rest. And in many ways, I find that Killer Instinct in terms of audio and main theme (combat) sounds really close to UT. It`s brutal, visceral, sci-fi, can be exotic, etc. We can see a little bit of that right now in UT when we use the Linkgun secondary fire mode. It might be unintentional, but it sounds a bit musical. And well... the Announcer in KI is just badass.

Comment

Entropy you mentioned about the community audio meetup thingy ages ago. Any idea if that spawned any guidelines, wishes, or actual roadmap items?

For me, UT has always sounded rusty, mechanical, punchy, but soothing at the same time. Nothing like the cranky clang of a flak cannon while a smooth and techy arpeggio tingles in the background music.
                            Also known as musilowski.
                            UE user since 1998.

Comment

Found one video, it sounds like Necris electro music. Interesting combination of music, in something suitable for the UT game.

Comment

Working...
                              X