X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Immersive Nice-to-have Sound Features

Hi,

Just a couple of features that jumped into my mind:
    • Stinger alt-fire shards should have a surround "whoosh" sample play as they fly around the victim's body (just like the Ripper used to do in UT99)
    • The staple "whisper" chat sound should have a different pitch for team/friends/public players. It will make it much easier to notice/ignore when needed.
    • A preamble tone should be added (or mixed in) to voice communications. The tone will be different for team/friends/public players. A hang-up tone would be nice too.

What do you think?
    Snir "DDRRE" Hassidim - Living and breathing UT since 2002!
    "When Video Games and the Enterprise Meet" - Read my chronicles of building a gamers club at my workplace.
    Facebook | LinkedIn

Originally posted by DDRRE View Post
    Just a couple of features that jumped into my mind:
    • Stinger alt-fire shards should have a surround "whoosh" sample play as they fly around the victim's body (just like the Ripper used to do in UT99)
    Great idea. Done.

• The staple "whisper" chat sound should have a different pitch for team/friends/public players. It will make it much easier to notice/ignore when needed.
    I thought about this, wasn't sure if it was worth the effort but certainly worth keeping in mind.

• A preamble tone should be added (or mixed in) to voice communications. The tone will be different for team/friends/public players. A hang-up tone would be nice too.
    Isn't voice chat handled through an exterior program right now?
    Jim Brown
    @EntropicDev
    Epic Games

Comment

It would also be nice to have some sound propagation simulation like geometry-based reverb, occlusion, obstruction, absorption, etc.
      The new UT is coming along nicely...
      Maybe a new Unreal would be a good idea for Epic's next project? It's certainly somewhat overdue...

Comment

Originally posted by Entropy View Post
        Great idea. Done.
        Wow... That was kinda badass
        I like to think that you read this, then went into some mess of multi-thousand lined code written in Assembly language, made a few statements to do with amplitude and relative distance, then typed out the 1's and 0's for the "whoosh" audio. All of this in the space of around 10 seconds.

Comment

It would be nice if the doppler effect was used for some of the sounds like flying projectiles and moving lifts, kinda like how UT99 had done it.

Comment

Bumping this again, now that we have audio-related updates in the latest build.
            Snir "DDRRE" Hassidim - Living and breathing UT since 2002!
            "When Video Games and the Enterprise Meet" - Read my chronicles of building a gamers club at my workplace.
            Facebook | LinkedIn

Comment

Working...
            X