Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Robot voices discussion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Robot voices discussion

    So with bots on the cards, what sort of vibe are we all hoping for among the three types of planned bots? Should the three groups all talk differently from each other? Would phase one bots quote more mining terminology in their speech patterns while the phase 2 and three are more fluent/sophisticated?

    At the very least I'm hoping that this time around female/feminine robot will have female/feminine voices unlike those in 2k3/4

    #2
    jesus christ people just because a bot is mining does not mean it is retarded. they rebeled after all it means they are intelligent af, plus they are faster thinkers than humans as long as any a.i system of that level goes. when epic sticks to mining bot, they mean it is not heavily armored and that's about it. those bots are not weak and retarded systems : >

    as to taunt, talking terminology i would like it to differ of course, for diversity reasons but no because one level of robots are not smart enough for trash talk :d Also robots have no sex...

    I'd just love them to be mean to biological forms of life and insult skaarj, humans and possibly gen mokai? differently and furiously.

    while phase 3 bots talk with sort of authority and even when you are ordering them they give back punchy feedback :d

    Comment


      #3
      If you'll kindly note, I never said they had to. Nor did I say there weren't intelligent. I am merely asking questions to open a discussion. Is that ok?

      Comment


        #4
        i am just stating my opinion as well?

        i do not agree that mining terminology would be used in combat by bots of any sort, but it could be kind of part of their humor perhaps if someone can come up with clever refrences and jokes. like you smell like this and this-that has something to do with minig shaft etc. But i think that will take an expert of its own

        Comment


          #5
          Since this is still an exploratory stage, I think anything is fair game at this point. Either wait for Epic to record vocals (in which they will end up writing it themselves), or record our own. Hopefully by some community members with good quality mic and a good acting performance. As far as mining robots having intelligence or not, I can go either way. If a machine was built to just mine I don't see it needing a vast vocabulary (doesn't mean they are not intelligent). Although I wouldn't mind a sassy robot either. Robots have no gender, but we can put personality into them and personify them into a male or female character. I don't see anything wrong with that. I would also like a gender-less killing machine that only talks in single word sentences. "Death" "Kill" "Blooooooooooood" Haha.

          Comment


            #6
            Now that the multiple phase idea has been abandoned (whoa, we're talking over half a year ago here...), we've got considerably less to worry about.
            A bit of me wishes that it didn't happen, because we could take that to interesting directions, and IMO it would've led to objectively better results, but let's look at the bright side of it - Less work that's actually needed.
            I have an idea for the sound of a robot voice, might send a demo/draft of that here.
            The new UT is coming along nicely...
            Maybe a new Unreal would be a good idea for Epic's next project? It's certainly somewhat overdue...

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by iLikeTheUDK View Post
              Now that the multiple phase idea has been abandoned (whoa, we're talking over half a year ago here...), we've got considerably less to worry about.
              A bit of me wishes that it didn't happen, because we could take that to interesting directions, and IMO it would've led to objectively better results, but let's look at the bright side of it - Less work that's actually needed.
              I have an idea for the sound of a robot voice, might send a demo/draft of that here.
              Yeah! Please do, I would love to see more love on the dialogue side of the project.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by MaxCarnage View Post
                Yeah! Please do, I would love to see more love on the dialogue side of the project.
                Of course, the lines need to be finalized, and as heard in game should be recorded by considerably better voice talent... but this is a test for the effect.
                http://www.mediafire.com/download/51...driBotTest.rar
                The new UT is coming along nicely...
                Maybe a new Unreal would be a good idea for Epic's next project? It's certainly somewhat overdue...

                Comment


                  #9
                  Whew, finally the forum is back online!
                  So in the last few days I did another jab at this. Here's the latest concept: https://www.mediafire.com/download/c96g68znr1o71tf
                  The new UT is coming along nicely...
                  Maybe a new Unreal would be a good idea for Epic's next project? It's certainly somewhat overdue...

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by iLikeTheUDK View Post
                    Whew, finally the forum is back online!
                    So in the last few days I did another jab at this. Here's the latest concept: https://www.mediafire.com/download/c96g68znr1o71tf
                    IMO the female voice sounds like the no mans sky voice which doesnt suit taunting some one who you just destroyed and the male no where near bad **** enough. Keen to hear more. As a Xan user the bar is high.
                    Join the community Facebook page
                    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Unreal-Tournament-4-Community/302380673298678

                    Comment


                      #11
                      I listened to them... and I'll be honest, I don't like them at all. They sound like some kind of weird rave bot on a 80's party.

                      Remember, these bots need to be clearly audible and understandable. As they need to communate either for team strategy in the tournament, or for mining directive and reports. As well as for the taunts and entertainment of the crowd.
                      There's too much wub wub (or whatever this effect is called) in your voices.

                      You should re-listen to the robot voices in previous games, not to totally copy it, but get some inspirations and ideas :
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCfqoUIug64
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUdp_DbJnRQ
                      (Couldn't find a video with UT3's corrupt's taunts unfortunately).

                      Comment


                        #12
                        The 2004 robots were ut99's talking through a toilet paper roll
                        Join the community Facebook page
                        https://www.facebook.com/pages/Unreal-Tournament-4-Community/302380673298678

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by code187 View Post
                          IMO the female voice sounds like the no mans sky voice which doesnt suit taunting some one who you just destroyed and the male no where near bad **** enough. Keen to hear more. As a Xan user the bar is high.
                          This is mostly a technical concept, on the way of achieving the sound of those voices. The parameters won't necessarily match the final version (and probably won't anyway).
                          Looking back I should've probably also done some ring modulation as well. Maybe next version.
                          The new UT is coming along nicely...
                          Maybe a new Unreal would be a good idea for Epic's next project? It's certainly somewhat overdue...

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by MaxCarnage View Post
                            Yeah! Please do, I would love to see more love on the dialogue side of the project.
                            back late again to the party, but is there a list of voices or dialogs that need to be done that I can check out? I did some robot voices for a couple versions of UT and custom characters that were pretty popular when we were able to use voicepacks.
                            Sioux
                            www.unrealgrrl.com

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by UnrealGrrl View Post
                              back late again to the party, but is there a list of voices or dialogs that need to be done that I can check out? I did some robot voices for a couple versions of UT and custom characters that were pretty popular when we were able to use voicepacks.
                              That would be cool. Though I think you better ask someone from Epic, probably Jim Brown. And either way this thread isn't getting the attention it should for it to impact the game in any way (except for Rick Kohler apparently quite suddenly posting on KazeoHin's BioRifle design thread and declaring it official).
                              The new UT is coming along nicely...
                              Maybe a new Unreal would be a good idea for Epic's next project? It's certainly somewhat overdue...

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X