No announcement yet.

Robot voices discussion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This thread is unfortunately a bit lower on the totem pole in terms of attention...for now. If you guys are keen on doing it, I would try it anyway, get the roughness out first and as things get polished up it maybe time to think about character vocals and robot voices. I will keep my eye on this thread in the mean time however.

Comment

If I had my music VSTs still installed, I would record a growly voice, detune it, pump up the bass, add a chorus or stereo effect, and then add some sort of growly sub bass and make sure it follows the peaks of the vocal recording. That said, I do have most of that, just not the sub bass.

(Decided to try it whilst I was typing this, anyway. Would probably want to get a woman for female voices.)

https://www.mediafire.com/?op6tuh64d5gi3vi

Comment

Originally posted by Graydar View Post
        If I had my music VSTs still installed, I would record a growly voice, detune it, pump up the bass, add a chorus or stereo effect, and then add some sort of growly sub bass and make sure it follows the peaks of the vocal recording. That said, I do have most of that, just not the sub bass.

(Decided to try it whilst I was typing this, anyway. Would probably want to get a woman for female voices.)

https://www.mediafire.com/?op6tuh64d5gi3vi
        I think you could just make a bass synth sound and run it through a vocoder with the voice as a modulator.
        Also, I think it would be a nice idea to first run the voice through some pitch correction (à la Autotune) to get this synthesized, robotic feel going (that's what I'm trying to do).
        Some ring modulation (especially with a particularly hard-edged waveform such as square) could be cool too.
        The new UT is coming along nicely...
        Maybe a new Unreal would be a good idea for Epic's next project? It's certainly somewhat overdue...

Comment

Originally posted by iLikeTheUDK View Post
          I think you could just make a bass synth sound and run it through a vocoder with the voice as a modulator.
          Also, I think it would be a nice idea to first run the voice through some pitch correction (à la Autotune) to get this synthesized, robotic feel going (that's what I'm trying to do).
          Some ring modulation (especially with a particularly hard-edged waveform such as square) could be cool too.
          Tried the auto-tune earlier, it didn't work out that well. Didn't even think of a vocoder! I'm a dummy.

EDIT:

Tried the vocoder with a Cockos synth. Square and sawtooth mostly, but, put on a good amount of dry. Also added cockos tuner after, didn't change it all that much tbh. Still doesn't sound too "roboty", maybe the attack on the first word could be toned down and then messing around with the EQ? *shrug*

http://www.mediafire.com/download/op...i/untitled.wav

EDIT 2: Reason I added so much dry was clarity - if you reduce the dry by too much it starts just becoming a synth, so.. yeah.
          Last edited by Graydar; 09-21-2016, 11:44 PM.

Comment

Double post! but I actually did a full take of the "robot taunts" from ut2k4 with a vocoder.

https://soundcloud.com/artimus-gray/...taunts/s-gHtUj

Comment

Suggestion - For it to sound more robotic I suggest you play around with EQ and compression for both the modulator and the resulting sound. Also recording in a room as acoustically dry (i.e. no reverb) as possible, I think I can hear what might be a bit of reverb in the carrier.
              The new UT is coming along nicely...
              Maybe a new Unreal would be a good idea for Epic's next project? It's certainly somewhat overdue...

Comment

Working...
              X