Announcer demo

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Announcer demo

I'm working on putting an announcer pack together (which will of course be free and open source). I did some dialing in last night and ran a few lines, here are a few preliminary tests. I'd love any opinions and direction on finding the right 'voice' for the announcer character, as well as how exactly to perform each line. Hope for some suggestions, just getting started here.

Bullseye

Killing Spree
    Sharpshooter
    Shock Therapy

EDIT: Probably best to skip to later session posts further down, have received a lot of creative criticism and suggestions, trying to develop something that works.

Bullseye
    Denied
    Dominating
    Double Kill
    Eightball
    First Blood
    Godlike
    Hat Trick
    Headhunter
    Killing Spree
    Lead Taken
    Rampage
    Retribution
    Rocket Science
    Siphon
    Toasty 1
    Toasty 2
    Unstoppable
    Last edited by bitbomb; 05-20-2015, 01:13 PM. Reason: Early concepts, these don't work.

Hey this is awesome, I really liked the actually first session u made, it sounded alot more in your face, just needs abit reveerb. What vst are you using for low pitch effect?

Comment

The first one is Waves PitchShift at -1.5 semitones, the second one I was just trying out a free plugin from SSL that's kind of hokey but the shift is OK called X-Orcism, but there's too much shift on that one. Closer to -2 semitones. I should have a new session soon, try making it sharper like the first batch (I like the more 'in your face' sound of that one too, definitely agree). I'm not really worrying too much about effects right now, more concerned with the performance. Once it's closer to something that sounds right I'll start messing more seriously with the effects. I really appreciate the feedback!

Comment

Hey bitbomb, nice to see you around here as well (Archer from xonotic)

I think the announcer sounds are pretty cool, definitely some over-pronounced K's like you said, but other than that pretty slick stuff. But the best judgement can be made when tested in-game together with all the other sounds/music, not sure how easy it is to make a mutator that would replace the announcer sounds but it would be a great way to test this stuff out
        Last edited by Avalanche._; 04-07-2015, 06:54 PM.
        Music Concepts for UT4 (Soundcloud) || Thread || Website

IN-GAME NICKS: Avalanche / <--Archer-<<

Comment

I would love to do a mix of these! I sent you a PM. ;D

Comment

Yo, Archer! Good to see you around here too. A lot of the feedback I got from the Xonotic sessions was 'it sounds too UT,' so hopefully it fits better here. Xonotic will be tougher because it's going to take live sessions to create a voice that fits the game better.

I have a decent iso booth now, I'll be doing another session as soon as my voice clears up (sick or allergies or something, it's all cracky) and hope to have a test pack soon, because you're right, you can't really tell if it works without trying it in-game.

I have a lot of questions particularly about the drawn out ones like 'Biohazard' and 'Eight ball,' I could really use suggestions about how to perform those. The current takes sound a little ridiculous, like I'm making fun of it.

Comment

Too deep, too distorted, too over-indulgent for my tastes. Remember that the Announcers are about relaying important game feedback, not just filling your speakers with bass, so they need to be clear, concise, and inspiring.
              Jim Brown
              @EntropicDev
              Epic Games

Comment

Originally posted by Entropy View Post
                Too deep, too distorted, too over-indulgent for my tastes. Remember that the Announcers are about relaying important game feedback, not just filling your speakers with bass, so they need to be clear, concise, and inspiring.
                Entropy, can you give example what kinda announcer are you looking for. UT3 had deep voice, and ut2004 and ut99 were different, in which direction would you like us who are recording to go?

Comment

Originally posted by Entropy View Post
                  Do you have any examples of what you are looking for for award announcements? What you say you don't want is what the UT award announcers have always been.

Do you want something that's a completely new direction from the traditional UT award announcer?

[EDIT]
                  As a reminder here's UT99 and UT3 award announcers:
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pyc3fBNoZyw
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwxjYFqP35A
                  Last edited by tarnationsauce2; 04-08-2015, 11:10 AM.

Comment

I've been working on my rig and iso booth, and doing some more testing trying to find a good voice. I'll be posting raw sessions to avoid the trend set by the previous UT games where the announcer voice is thick with effects, and give an opportunity to try something new with it. More coming soon, thanks for your input, guys.

Comment

You're doing a great job getting that Unreal announcer vibe. I would say drop the bass levels down with EQ...you might have to drop low mids too.
                      Trevor B.
                      Voice Work
                      Sound Effects

Mercenary and Gen Mo'Kai ------------------------------------ Link Gun

Comment

OK so instead of submitting treated stuff, I'm just working on finding the voice. Effects come later, probably someone much better with the whole vocal processing thing than I am. These are clips from a session just trying out different things, different variations, experimenting. I'd really like some more criticism, you guys are awesome. So yeah, no pitch shift, echo, reverb, etc. here. I tried some more traditional ones, plus some more aggressive ones. I would love to hear suggestions for other ways to do the lines, especially specific lines that seem like they should be delivered in a particular way. I feel like there's a long way to go to find the proper 'voice.'

First Blood 1
                        First Blood 2
                        Head Shot 1
                        Head Shot 2
                        Head Shot 3
                        Head Shot 4 (Mr Nice Guy Version)

EDIT: Oops, I didn't mean to leave Mr Nice Guy as a .wav, it was just a joke anyway.
                        EDIT 2: Thanks Av3nger! And I wholeheartedly agree about the awful mix, hence just submitting dry stuff for strictly performance evaluation, and tarnationsauce2 offered to experiment with the treatment side. Slight pitch shift if it needs it, other audio magic that will make it sound like it needs to sound in-game.
                        Last edited by bitbomb; 05-19-2015, 06:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X