Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shivaxi's Music Thread (and collaborations)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shivaxi View Post
    Hey guys. Mellow Sonic and I just collaborated together on a new track titled Nullity. It wasn't originally intended for UT4, but I can easily edit and shorten the length, have it loop properly, etc, for use in UT4. Tell me what you guys think!

https://soundcloud.com/shivaxi/mello...hivaxi-nullity
    Cool one

Like all the variations in this track. Therefore, all track "sections" last much to long. I mean that 1 - 2 times 32 beats of the same stuff is ok but beyond that, it get repetitive and predictable. If you reduce the track length at least by half it will be much better imo. Still, very nice start

A new track by me:

https://soundcloud.com/shivaxi/shiva...-nightmares-v1

Does have a sorta UT vibe to it.
    The mood is good. Indeed it as a UT vide But there are 2 things I can suggest :

1- The melody is good but last forever which get boring after 3 mins.
    2- The track would be better if the length was about 3 mins BUT combine all of the variations of the full length of 6:48.

Again, nice start
    Stevie's corner
    Maps, DM-Dakylian A2, DM-Elik, DM-Akar, DM-Aryth, DM-Aly, CTF-Infiltrate, DM-Delta
    Links, UE4 links (guide, tut), UE4 resources, Tools and resources

Comment

Originally posted by Stevelois View Post
      Cool one

Like all the variations in this track. Therefore, all track "sections" last much to long. I mean that 1 - 2 times 32 beats of the same stuff is ok but beyond that, it get repetitive and predictable. If you reduce the track length at least by half it will be much better imo. Still, very nice start

The mood is good. Indeed it as a UT vide But there are 2 things I can suggest :

1- The melody is good but last forever which get boring after 3 mins.
      2- The track would be better if the length was about 3 mins BUT combine all of the variations of the full length of 6:48.

Again, nice start
      Thanks. And yeah I made Neverending Nightmares in mind to be mixed, hence the extra length. If I was gonna make it for Unreal Tournament, I'd definitely shorten the length, that's a given :P

Comment

Reworked Neverending Nightmares for Unreal Tournament, shortened and resequenced, plus loopable. Retitled to Neverending, updated first post, enjoy!

Shivaxi - Neverending
        WAV --> https://www.dropbox.com/s/7noncdcapc...on%29.wav?dl=0
        MP3 --> https://www.dropbox.com/s/80n968u0bh...on%29.mp3?dl=0

Comment

full support this tunes for ut !! great stuff

Comment

Originally posted by mellowsonic View Post
            full support this tunes for ut !! great stuff
            ez! Nice to see ya on the forums =)

Got another tune I could probably UT-ify.

https://soundcloud.com/shivaxi/ice-melt-short-demo

Comment

Reworked Neverending Nightmares for Unreal Tournament, shortened and resequenced, plus loopable. Retitled to Neverending, updated first post, enjoy!

Shivaxi - Neverending
              WAV --> https://www.dropbox.com/s/7noncdcapc...on%29.wav?dl=0
              MP3 --> https://www.dropbox.com/s/80n968u0bh...on%29.mp3?dl=0
              I really like the fact the track as been shortened, it's better that way

Therefore, it can be a bit more shortened simply because there are sections of the track where there is nothing special happening meaning there is almost no change in the melody, rhythm or sounds effects. The overall track sound very minimalist (no offense) so keeping the track length short will help the listener appreciate it instead of get bored. Sections that I found that can be removed :

- from 1:07 to 1:30 (2 x 32 beats)
              - from 3:00 to 3:57 (5 or 6 x 32 beats)

It would be even cooler when the beat drop at 1:52, only the actual sound would be present to 1:52 to 2:14. I found the "piano" to enter to fast like it is the case at 1:55.

It is not necessary to make the track looping simply because that can be done easily in game. I listen what the community as made on my pc, smartphone & audio system and it's not pleasing to ear a track "cut" for casual listening! Please, there is no need to make it loopable.

It's much better overall but I hope you'll try the suggestions

THX for sharing the WAV file
              Stevie's corner
              Maps, DM-Dakylian A2, DM-Elik, DM-Akar, DM-Aryth, DM-Aly, CTF-Infiltrate, DM-Delta

Comment

Originally posted by Stevelois View Post
                I really like the fact the track as been shortened, it's better that way

Therefore, it can be a bit more shortened simply because there are sections of the track where there is nothing special happening meaning there is almost no change in the melody, rhythm or sounds effects. The overall track sound very minimalist (no offense) so keeping the track length short will help the listener appreciate it instead of get bored. Sections that I found that can be removed :

- from 1:07 to 1:30 (2 x 32 beats)
                - from 3:00 to 3:57 (5 or 6 x 32 beats)

It would be even cooler when the beat drop at 1:52, only the actual sound would be present to 1:52 to 2:14. I found the "piano" to enter to fast like it is the case at 1:55.

It is not necessary to make the track looping simply because that can be done easily in game. I listen what the community as made on my pc, smartphone & audio system and it's not pleasing to ear a track "cut" for casual listening! Please, there is no need to make it loopable.

It's much better overall but I hope you'll try the suggestions

THX for sharing the WAV file

I'm glad you like the tune, but I'd actually have to disagree about shortening the track further, especially 1:07 to 1:30. Compare this track to something like Foregone Destruction:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ql8GWBkA7L0

If you take note, both my track Neverending and Foregone Destruction are almost exactly the same length, mine with a few more seconds, and both songs "drop" (kick in with the bassline) at the same time, 0:45. Foregone Destruction proceeds to roll with the same flow for 64 beats, or until 1:30, again same as my track. There are also many sections in Foregone where it's long sweeping pads and ambiance, not to mention the long chorus at the end everybody loves, that go on for quite a while. And remember, Foregone is one of if not the absolute most famous tune from Unreal Tournament's history, and I take my inspiration directly from it and other UT99 soundtracks. I don't think length is a problem, as I'd like to think most players will be focused on the actual battle in the game, and the music is there to flow and keep the mood going. (Mechanism Eight is also over 6 minutes long)

On a side note, I'd personally prefer tracks in UT to be longer, considering that they are going to be repeating several times for as long as the match lasts, which could be 15 minutes to 45 minutes, and you'll be listening to the same track over and over for that length of time. It'd be good for a longer tracks to be able to keep changing up constantly without sounding too repetitive (which is also why it's important to make sure a track for a game like this loops properly so it doesn't sound too much like stopping and starting again. you don't want players to notice the loop)
                Last edited by Shivaxi; 10-24-2014, 09:40 AM.

Comment

Neverending

Well, I don't compare music track to any other simply because each track is unique and what as been a success in the pass won't mean that a similar track will get the same success today.

I understand you're inspire by earlier UT tracks, which are great pieces of inspiration indeed but those track represent that time too. People that listen electronic music since 15 years are more critics than before simply because almost as been ear, so the track must have something unique, special to be a "reference" or else it become just an "ok", average track that people will soon forget.

Foregone Destruction is a classic for sure and it last long. Therefore, if it was shorter maybe it would have been even better, who knows ? Beside matches can be played really quick dependending of various factors. Speaking for me, I play around 5 mins in a map.

I know music for games are much different that music for listening. Still, as many other, I do listen UT music once in a while simply because it's good audio tracks and I don't necessarily link them to UT but rather electronic.

Anyway, keep up the very good work
                  Stevie's corner

Comment

I just listened to the 3 tracks in the first post, I really like that stuff, it definitely captures the UT audio ethos.

Comment

I've gotten permission from Mike (aka Shoebox, who is the owner of Section 8 Recordings and Plush Recordings, 2 labels that I am signed to and also the owner of DnBRadio, the station I DJ on) to use tracks released on Section 8 and Plush for Unreal Tournament. There were some tracks I had in mind from these labels, including some of my own, hence I asked for permission. What do you guys say about this track here?

LeStR - Big Step Forward - https://www.dropbox.com/s/wg6pqaae3o...T4%29.mp3?dl=0

Note that I've cut up and mixed the track to be shorter and loop smoothly. I think this fits pretty well with the UT feel and theme.

Comment

Here's a demo I am working on, Cannonade remix. Still an early work in progress. https://www.dropbox.com/s/pzcixfzjtf...01%29.mp3?dl=0

Just kinda messing around with this one so I don't know
                        Last edited by Shivaxi; 10-30-2014, 06:13 PM.

Comment

Here's a demo I am working on, Cannonade remix. Still an early work in progress. https://www.dropbox.com/s/pzcixfzjtf...01%29.mp3?dl=0

Just kinda messing around with this one so I don't know
                          Nice work, I want to provide some feedback.

I think right now, it has too many silent bits, I mean I love more silent stuff myself as well, but somewhere in the middle of the track there's like nearly 1:30 minutes of music without any drums, it kills the flow a bit. You need to add some subtle drumming there, or maybe cut it out/short :P

That being said, the pieces with the fast drums are awesome and are atm the strongest parts of the track. The softer intro drums (conga I think) sound too soft and dry, they need to be made harsher and more verby, like big hall reverb or something. The strings need this too, actually, you might be better off putting quite some reverb over everything, maybe less so on the drums.

The track overall is too bassy atm I think (at least it sounds like that to me, relatively seen), which makes it sound slightly muddy. The reverb should help with getting more mids in, but you'd need to EQ it a bit as well. Maybe you need to reduce bass on certain instruments, and keep it more on others, that way you'll still get quite some bass while also making it more dynamic. Saw lead at 3:25 is way too bassy for instance and makes you unable to hear nice strings (might be intentional). Some stereo tricks might help too with this.

The piano around 4:36 bothers me a bit, not because it sounds bad, it just doesn't seem to fit in a UT game, adds too much of the wrong kind of drama (imagine it, piano playing while you perforate somebody with a flak cannon), maybe you could replace it by a synth that produces a similar sound, or put so many effects over it that it doesn't sound like a piano anymore. This is of course my opinion, and if you disagree you should disregard it

Hope the feedback is of any use to you!
                          Last edited by Avalanche._; 10-31-2014, 05:47 AM.
                          Music Concepts for UT4 (Soundcloud) || Thread || Website

IN-GAME NICKS: Avalanche / <--Archer-<<

Comment

Originally posted by Archer6621 View Post
                            Nice work, I want to provide some feedback.

I think right now, it has too many silent bits, I mean I love more silent stuff myself as well, but somewhere in the middle of the track there's like nearly 1:30 minutes of music without any drums, it kills the flow a bit. You need to add some subtle drumming there, or maybe cut it out/short :P

That being said, the pieces with the fast drums are awesome and are atm the strongest parts of the track. The softer intro drums (conga I think) sound too soft and dry, they need to be made harsher and more verby, like big hall reverb or something. The strings need this too, actually, you might be better off putting quite some reverb over everything, maybe less so on the drums.

The track overall is too bassy atm I think (at least it sounds like that to me, relatively seen), which makes it sound slightly muddy. The reverb should help with getting more mids in, but you'd need to EQ it a bit as well. Maybe you need to reduce bass on certain instruments, and keep it more on others, that way you'll still get quite some bass while also making it more dynamic. Saw lead at 3:25 is way too bassy for instance and makes you unable to hear nice strings (might be intentional). Some stereo tricks might help too with this.

The piano around 4:36 bothers me a bit, not because it sounds bad, it just doesn't seem to fit in a UT game, adds too much of the wrong kind of drama (imagine it, piano playing while you perforate somebody with a flak cannon), maybe you could replace it by a synth that produces a similar sound, or put so many effects over it that it doesn't sound like a piano anymore. This is of course my opinion, and if you disagree you should disregard it

Hope the feedback is of any use to you!

The long silent parts and piano are because I wasn't necessarily making this for Unreal Tournament, but as a full track first =P I will UT-ify it later, don't worry haha. Thankyou for the feedback though! I've already made a lot of progress with the tune and need to post another demo.

EDIT:

Also put together another UT4 edit this morning for one of my favorite from Plush Recordings:

NCQL - Spiritual Motions Of A Beast (Shivaxi UT4 Edit)
                            MP3 --> https://www.dropbox.com/s/rmmdpc17nf...it%29.mp3?dl=0
                            Last edited by Shivaxi; 10-31-2014, 10:49 AM.

Comment

I want to give some feedback on Cannonade as well, as it's one of my UT99 favourites.
                              1. Overall the remix was good. The piano is ok IMHO. Like Archer said, the beginning should be made harsher.
                              2. At 2:50 I'd maybe put the solo part from (1:34 at the original), where it's well used to make a bridge between the end of the track and the new in-game loop.
                              3. The theme is named Cannonade. For me, the defining feature of the track was, well, the cannons (at 1:14 of the original), but I dunno if they fit in this version.
                              Last edited by Extruderx; 11-06-2014, 05:35 AM.

Comment

Still working on music just haven't had time to post anything current. I'd like to reach out though and ask any mappers if they would like custom music for their maps. I'd love to design a song around a certain map based on what the mapper is looking for or something, that's always a lot of fun and I'm eager to try and get some of my work out there! Lemme know, hit me a PM or whatnot, I'll try to get some more tunes up soon!

Comment

Working...
                                X