Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Done] Written in Black: agressive/driven track for dark/gloomy map

Hi UTers,

this track sets a kind of driven sound that is supposed to get your adrenaline going as you play. It might not sound like the classic UT so much (although CTF-Coret has a similar soundtrack), but I think it's appropriate for a first-person-shooter.

Written in Black

V1: http://jakobmagiera.net/sound/written_in_black.mp3

V2:
    * replaced old school synths with more unusual/interesting ones
    * added more recognizable melodic elements
    * did a proper mix down (adjusted levels, panning, frequency analysis)
    * made a few more interesting transitions
    MP3: http://jakobmagiera.net/sound/written_in_black2.mp3
    WAV: http://jakobmagiera.net/sound/written_in_black2.wav

V3:
    * added various instruments for more variation in selected spots
    * integrated all of Archer's suggestions
    ** intro: faded in the ticking by gradually lowering the frequency of a LP filter
    ** "cheesy phaser": coming from an experienced musician I assume cheesy means "very familiar" so I kept it the way it is because I like it
    ** attempted to give bass drum more punch, found the snare OK, it already sticks out quite a bit in the frequency spectrum
    ** boosted "muddy drums" around 1khz area for "radio feel"
    ** I doubled the electric guitar with a brighter, higher pitched one, panned both slightly, see if you like that better, I'm not entirely convinced
    ** left out/substituted choir in various parts
    * mastered to CD level
    MP3: http://jakobmagiera.net/sound/written_in_black3.mp3
    WAV: http://jakobmagiera.net/sound/written_in_black3.wav

Frag on!
    Last edited by jmagica; 02-04-2016, 04:46 PM. Reason: track done, edited title of thread
    My UT Soundtrack contributions: Out of Reach - Written in Black - Disintegrating Matter

I like the sound of this track, and I think it actually it IS very UT-sounding. I'd say that one thing holding it back right now is the sound of the synths - we're looking for a more modern sound, something that sounds more like real instruments or has a more "professional quality" mastering.

Great job on capturing the feel!
    Jim Brown
    @EntropicDev
    Epic Games

Comment

Thanks for your feedback, Jim, the mix is definitely very rough still. I assume the synth sounds you are talking about are the one kicking in at 0:20 and then 0:38, correct? I'll see if I can dig up something more acoustic as well as improving the overall mix. It's very heavy on the low frequencies currently, making it sound mushy and dull.
      My UT Soundtrack contributions: Out of Reach - Written in Black - Disintegrating Matter

Comment

Love it

Comment

Really like this track, it fits UT like a glove

While it does have a lot's of "punch", it sound very compressed / saturated. Can you plz share the WAV instead of the MP3. Also plz, add a number version so it's easier for us to give specific feedback
          Stevie's corner
          My UT4 maps
          Links : UE4 links (guide, tut), UE4 resources, Tools and resources

Comment

I'm working on a refined version right now, I'll post a WAV for that as well, and, sure, I'll version it for better comparison. The first version probably also sounds compressed/saturated because I didn't do any mix-down or mastering and the levels are a bit on the high end.
            Last edited by jmagica; 01-13-2016, 03:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jmagica View Post
              I'm working on a refined version right now, I'll post a WAV for that as well, and, sure, I'll version it for better comparison. The first version probably also sounds compressed/saturated because I didn't do any mix-down or mastering and the levels are a bit on the high end.
              This is great!!!
              Stevie's corner
              My UT4 maps

Comment

Version 2 is out! See first post for details.

Comment

Tried 3 times to download the WAV but each time it give me a network error when the download is 99% complete?

Will retry later.
                  Stevie's corner
                  My UT4 maps

Comment

Originally posted by Stevelois View Post
                    Tried 3 times to download the WAV but each time it give me a network error when the download is 99% complete?

Will retry later.
                    No problems here...

Comment

Originally posted by Stevelois View Post

Will retry later.
                      It seems to work for me Steve : o

@track
                      Haha, this is pretty cool, it has some sort of eastern/desert vibe to it, pretty much like that UT2004 Onslaught track that plays on the winter map.

I do have some remarks on what could be improved though, will edit this in a moment, need to have a thorough listen.

EDIT: Okay here are my thoughts:

- The phaser at the start is slightly cheesy imo, it sounds too obvious because it is fairly dry, perhaps adding some reverb over it could help with that, or perhaps even other delay effects, or maybe even some overdrive effects to enhance that teary sound, go creative and make something crazy!
                      - That ticking instrument at the start could maybe use slightly more treble because it gets exposed at the start, another solution (maybe preferable) would be to make it fade in as the intro goes.
                      - From 0:20 to 0:56 the mix sounds great, minus the drums, I can barely hear the kick here because it doesn't seem to have a thump, and the snare sounds pretty boring, it probably needs an attack boost and a boost around the 200 hz range. The hats sound great though.
                      - Now at 0:57 an instrument enters the mix and it has a negative effect on it imo, I think it's a guitar with huge resonance around the 2-4 khz range, instead of this instrument I could rather imagine a brighter overdrive guitar with a crunchy sound. The drums also become muddy here, I feel like this is intentionally done as lo-fi effect, but I think it's best to boost the drums around the 0.5-2 khz instead for such an effect (as if they are played through the radio)
                      - The fun part starts again at 1:42, but same feedback here applies about the drums in my third comment.
                      - From 1:00 to 2:56 a background choir can be heard continuously, I suggest to leave it out for a few rows somewhere inbetween to ramp up variation

That's all feedback I got for now, do with it what you feel is best

Overall the composition is pretty fun, I can imagine this stuff for desert CTF maps or even Onslaught maps.
                      Last edited by Avalanche._; 01-15-2016, 01:39 PM.
                      Music Concepts for UT4 (Soundcloud) || Thread || Website

IN-GAME NICKS: Avalanche / <--Archer-<<

Comment

V. 2

Finally,

After 5 times, the WAV download worked!

I must say, this is a **** nice track m8 Even if you may release other versions, I add v. 2 to my UT4 music collection. I like it at it is

I don't really understand the technical stuff Archer is suggesting but his comments are always for the better so it worth continuing working on it, no doubt
                        Stevie's corner
                        My UT4 maps

Comment

That's some fantastic feedback, Archer, I'll integrate it into V3! I'll respond to a few of your suggestions in detail, also...

Glad you like it as it is, Stevelois!
                          Last edited by jmagica; 01-15-2016, 04:04 PM.

Comment

V. 2 suggestions

While I really like v. 2, I've notice 2 small things that I wanted to suggest since your going for v. 3

1. There is a "clap" here and there and repeating at every 8 beats that is to loud imho. It need to be lower, more subtle.
                            2. The overall volume is a bit low comparing the track with other finals releases. I suggest you raise the volume a bit like 3 db or maybe more.

Nothing else to suggest. Continue your great work
                            Stevie's corner
                            My UT4 maps

Comment

Thanks, Stevie, I'll keep your feedback in mind for v3, you have a good point with the "clap".
                              Last edited by jmagica; 01-19-2016, 03:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X