Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[WIP] Disintegrating Matter: Experimenting with sound effects, tempo/mood variation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[WIP] Disintegrating Matter: Experimenting with sound effects, tempo/mood variation

Thanks to everyone's feedback I've found the inspiration to make a track out of this concept: https://forums.unrealtournament.com/...r-input-please

Here it is :
    V1: http://jakobmagiera.net/sound/disintegrating_matter.mp3 (this time encoded in 320kbs )

V2: http://jakobmagiera.net/sound/disint...ng_matter2.mp3
    - up'ed tempo from 80/160 bpm to 82/164 bpm
    - removed half a minute from intro (before DnB style starts)
    - smoothed out ending and echoed intro sound for better looping
    - leveled out overall volume
    - removed a few repetitions of main elec-piano synth theme for more variation
    - little tidbits here and there

This one has an unusually long build-up, it just kind of came out that way, maybe I need to change that. I've made this track with the purpose of experimenting a bit with unusual sound samples in my library. While the concept still evolved into an orchestral piece, I've now decided to drop that approach and transition into DnB which seems to fit the UT style more. I've also included the well-known ElecPiano-Synth sound you all know and love from CTF-Face's "Foregone Destruction'. I've also tried to vary the tempo/feel/mood to make the track less repetitive. I'm not sure about the ending yet, do you find it too sudden?

Over and out
    Last edited by jmagica; 02-07-2016, 03:52 AM. Reason: Version 2
    My UT Soundtrack contributions: Out of Reach - Written in Black - Disintegrating Matter

Overall I like it, I could imagine that in morpheus or something. The buildup nearing 2 minutes sounds good, and I know it's been used a lot with unreal stuff, but when the background rhythm part goes down at places like 1:16, I always think it sounds cool

And just a bit of constructive criticism - with the synth that comes in at 2 minutes, the part you've written fits, but there's something about the sound of it I don't like. It's like it's got some extra frequencies which aren't so nice, which might be alright for a unique bit, but since it's repeated for 2 minutes I started to notice it and it got a bit annoying haha (and it's now stuck in my head)

Comment

Hey thanks for the feedback, esp. the criticism! Regarding ElecPiano-Synth that has some "extra frequencies": I personally really like the sound (it really speaks "UT" for me), but I agree about the repetitiveness. I already tried to break it up/vary it a little, but I might have to do it some more if others also find it too much. On the other hand it's not too bad of a sign if something sticks in your head
      My UT Soundtrack contributions: Out of Reach - Written in Black - Disintegrating Matter

Comment

Really like this one

I like the fact you start with a low rhythm and then switch to D&B. The transition is very well made. Arrangements are awesome too all across the track. The only thing that doesn't sound good for me is the synth use at those segments :

2:04 - 2:42
        3:05 - 3:40
        3:52 - 4:00

The type of sound itself is good. It is the way it is played that don't really fit with the rest of the track imho. It just feel disharmonious to my hears with the rest of the randomly-like-effects that are composing the entire track.

My 2 cents.
        Stevie's corner
        My UT4 maps
        Links : UE4 links (guide, tut), UE4 resources, Tools and resources

Comment

Thanks for the feedback, Steve! Interesting that you dislike the part that I found most pleasing when I wrote it, that's why I inserted it in various parts to be the lead theme. Let's see what others say, thanks for listening!

Comment

You are doing a great job with your tunes, man. I really like the sound of this

Also the "disharmonic" synth arrangement sounds great to me.

Comment

Nice compilation posted here, jmagica. (Imo) The intro is a tad bit too long & the ending is sudden. From a map music point of view, you might want to end it so that it can be looped (semi)smoothly. The current tempo feels a tab bit mellow but still brought to mind a map named DM-Chillout.
              Keep up the GoodWorks!
              LoPing
              Explosive High Voltage UT99

Comment

Thanks, DutchSmoke. I share your concerns about the intro. I think I'm going to have to shorten it a little and I'm already working on the ending. Thanks for listening!

Comment

Version 2 is up! Details in first post.

Comment

V. 2

Originally posted by jmagica View Post
                    Version 2 is up! Details in first post.
                    Wow, what a niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice progress here!

Really, I'm impress of the new variations / effects in this version

The only "bad" point... it is so good, it doesn't last long enough now lol

The only thing that I found a tad "not to" smooth is the intro. I mean having a nice fade in or having only the main sound and then add the other secondary sound few seconds after would be better imho.

But in all case, V. 2 is awesome Jakob!
                    Stevie's corner
                    My UT4 maps

Comment

Thank you for the encouragment Steve! Can you elaborate a bit more on which part of the intro you think needs to be more smooth? Which part (e. g. 0:25 - 0:30) do you mean?

Comment

Originally posted by jmagica View Post
                        Thank you for the encouragment Steve!
                        My pleasure Jakob

Can you elaborate a bit more on which part of the intro you think needs to be more smooth? Which part (e. g. 0:25 - 0:30) do you mean?
                        It's not to easy to explain but I'll try my best.

At the beginning, 0:00 there is the first sound and the volume is already very loud, at the max. At 0:03, the second sound arrive.

Instead, start the first sound at a very low volume and make it louder and louder in a step-like-way so we have the impression the music is coming from far away and then when reaching the full volume, introduce the second sound. So, the intro will fade in by step (think of a predator that is slowly approaching on you) and the impact of the second sound will be much more dramatic!

Hope it help
                        Stevie's corner
                        My UT4 maps

Comment

I see what you mean. It's true, it does start out a bit too loud, maybe. I don't think I can make the dynamic range too wide, though, as it's intended to be background music and one shouldn't have to wonder whether the music is playing or not, but I might reduce the initial volume a little and ramp it up slowly.

Comment

It's so much better now haha, and that bit is a lot less annoying now it doesn't repeat for so long

Anyway, the only bad point I have now is the part at 1:14. It's good it changes, but it's a bit too much of a change, like it could work in a film if something happened at that point, but for the sake of background music, I think the two parts should flow into each other a bit more, and in relation to steve's comment, I think it works better coming in full volume, since that part is relatively quiet anyway.

Comment

Very nice update jmagica! and I agree with Stevelois about the intro being a bit loud, I'd say the the first 10sec could maby do with an incremental increase (stereo field rotation/convolution). This would aid in the looping sequence as well imo. Or you could just cut the fadeout at 3:24-26 so that when looped, the transition will go less noticed. Just my 2¢'s worth.
                              Keep Up the GooDWorks!
                              LoPing
                              Explosive High Voltage UT99

Comment

Working...
                              X