No announcement yet.

Music (Original Unreal/UT Composer)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, I'm not suggesting to use those styles of music exactly, more just to get an idea across to use other instruments and consider new styles.
    3d Artist
    UT Cosmetic Items |
    UT Cybernetic Build

Comment

Originally posted by Michielvandenbos View Post
      Hi!

My name is Michiel van den Bos and one of the two main composers for the original Unreal and Unreal Tournament. It's been a while and my memory's a bit foggy, but my music has been featured in classic maps like Curse][, Codex, Facing Worlds, Tempest and many others. I've been composing for games ever since, including the universally praised soundtrack for Age of Wonders 3.

I'm writing here because I was getting messages and e-mails telling me I should, due to the announcement of the new UT.

I was wondering if there is any interest in me getting involved and I'm sure I can get Alex to join in too.
      If so, I'd be happy to continue a discussion here or off-forum at mikebossmusic[at]gmail.com.

Thank you for your attention and best regards,
      Michiel van den Bos
      HELL YES!! The very base of Unreal and UT1 atmosphere was their music. Hire these guys!
      "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

Comment

Originally posted by Michielvandenbos View Post
        It's amazing that this thread is still going! Heartwarming, guys (& gals)! Nothing concrete yet, but we're in talks. Your support has been fantastic!
        So is your music. I'm still listening occasionally the unreal1/unreal tournament/ deus ex 1 soundtracks. Deus ex is still my favourite single player game of all time, and the music is also one of the best or the best. I just wish i could have those tracks in a lot higher sound quality.
        Last edited by Hektoerr; 06-27-2014, 03:16 PM.

Comment

I love every soundtrack from every Unreal & UT series, but tbh the one from Unreal 1 is my favourite. So if you want two words - yes please!

Comment

*looks to the right*
            "Now playing: Hub 7 (Unreal, Michiel van den Bos and Alexander Brandon)"
            Unreal Tournament 4 eXpanded MultiPlayer (UT4XMP) efforts
            My website, listing all my Unreal series mods and mutators

Comment

Michiel. You and Alex have made my childhood an epic adventure.

The music you guys made for UT is so extremely good that i would cry if you wouldn't make more soundtracks for the new UT !!!!!!

Comment

*looks to the right*
                "Now playing: Interlude II (Unreal: Return to Na Pali, Alexander Brandon)"
                It's as if my music player was sentient or something.
                Unreal Tournament 4 eXpanded MultiPlayer (UT4XMP) efforts
                My website, listing all my Unreal series mods and mutators

Comment

I started to play UT99 only after Epic had announced the development of the new UT game. Music definitely plays a major role in the gamer experience, and so to have Alex and Michiel on this project is icing on the UT cake! The music in UT99 is awesome! I also love many of the remixes in UT3. I found the UT3 soundtrack on iTunes, but can't find the UT99 soundtrack. Where can I purchase individual tracks from UT99?

Comment

This is absolutely awesome news.

Comment

@danpaz3d

This rather fits Cyberpunk2077 than UT, but some parts of style of those tracks would be very interesting.
                      Unofficial Enforcer Model
                      Redesigning Enforcer Firemodes

Comment

Why can't I pay for the new UT? Take my money!

Comment

Alex and Michiel, you guys have done great work for all the games you soundtracked. Especially for Unreal 1 and UT 1 - I can't believe 15 years have passed since then. I consider myself extremely lucky (and I'm sure I'm not the only one on this thread) to have witnessed those out-of-this-world and revolutionary games. Credit should go all around, to all the programmers and (creative) directors and artists that made all these awing elements of pure art consolidate into the legendary Unreal games we all loved (and still do). I see people use this word a lot on this thread, legendary.

Year 1999 (UT 1) marks the nearing end of the century and WHY(?) I think people have so much nostalgia regarding the original Unreal music - it's because the games and music weren't so technically perfect at that time so they had to make up for it by having a soul. Games nowadays have great graphics and movie-like music and sounds, so they don't really need to impress you with anything else. New music has that more industrial feel to it, having the "I'm too cool for you" approach and kind of forcing you into considering it hip. Alex Brandon and Michiel van den Bos's MOD music still retains that '80s and '90s flavor, it's melodic, it tries to enchant (and succeeds) and it manages to not sound cold and "mechanical" (or, at least, minimally sounds so). The other composers did a great job too: Andrew Sega, Dan Grandpre, Peter Hajba. All the music mentioned simply invites (and embodies) a lot of nostalgia. After I played Unreal 1 (released 1998), never have I felt ever since that the music was pouring out of the level walls and surroundings like it did then. Alexander Brandon and his music for Unreal 1 (and Michiel too) are some of the things that I'll remember till I die (like some other guy already said here).

That being said, I also think some of the tracks from UT 2003 and 2004 are good too. While it's a different style, the music still carries an engaging atmosphere and it simply does not deserve to go overlooked. Kevin Riepl, Starsky Partridge and Will Nevins should also be considered for votes. UT3's music has some good pieces too, even if the industrial/repetitive vibe is permeated a little too much. I actually consider Jesper Kyd to be a great composer, he has quite a resume. He and Rom Di Prisco composed together for UT3. Definitely music that should not be thrown away.

It's quite clear that Alex and Michiel (and their friends?) are on board with the new UT, the fans love them and there's this great demand for them. I was happy with their past work and so were lots of people. I'm usually a type of person that doesn't want "bigger and better" things all the time. We shouldn't place any pressure on these great composers, let them do what they like. If they have adapted to new music trends, that's ok. Even if their new music will not sound as good as it did or as we hoped, I will still be pleased. These guys are our friends and living legends at the same time. We should be happy just that we're amongst them. Though, I've heard Alex Brandon's recent music and albums and they're really awesome!! So, no worries there.

The best thing, nevertheless, would be to consider ALL of the UT series' composers. Let the community vote songs and names, it's the fairest thing to do. They all contributed to UT's fame and success, we shouldn't ignore their efforts. I'm sure Michiel and Alex will come up on top in the votes anyway
                          Last edited by OverflowURS; 07-18-2014, 05:56 AM.

Comment

I hope you both make a comeback to this new UT. The original music of Unreal and UT99 had this great feeling where you could zone into the game and really feel the unique atmosphere of it. And even today, with all the remakes of the classics, it just proves how valuable the original music was and the effect it had on everyone who played the game.
                            Character Sketch

Former IGN: Omega Lord

"Well fans here we are for another edition of the bloodiest sport in the Galaxy. A Tournament where the winners become gods and the losers pay the ultimate price!" - UT Announcer

Comment

One hundred percent YES!
                              The music in U1 and UT99 is one of the main features of those games!

Comment

It may not be clear enough from my previous bigger post but my vote is YES!
                                YES for Alex & Michiel, Unreal Tournament 4 needs you! A **** lot!

Comment

Working...
                                X