Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Originally posted by Michielvandenbos View Post
    It's a gigantic letdown, because I was absolutely psyched to revisit Unreal Tournament. I wasn't just a composer on the original, but I've played particularly UT99 and UT2k4 completely to death, so I'm also a huge fan of the franchise. I doubt I'll be able to rack up frags today with my diminished reaction-skills but that's beside the point
    This has actually made me really sad but I understand your position, I really hope you do get some free time and Unreal inspires you once more! Just remember youre not just doing this for Epic, as a fan of UT yourself youre part of the community, you would be doing it for all of us and the length of this thread proves how greatful the fans would be even after more than a decade. I was really looking forward to hearing how far everyone had come since the original, perhaps even more collaboration on tracks even with the artists who wernt on the original UT soundtrack, a huge opportunity wasted it seems.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Correct, Andrew Sega did Mechanism Eight for UT99. Andrew still is a producer, keyboard player and guitarist for the band Iris and composes under his own pseudonym "The Alpha Conspiracy". His main job is a senior engineer for Zynga in NYC. Like Michiel and myself I'm sure he'd love to write new stuff. But, he's been performing and writing professionally for years, and the same deal would apply.

https://xyzzy.bandcamp.com/

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Yeah, I believe that Andrew Sega just did Mechanism Eight in UT99.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Gebloner View Post
    sans hyperblast
    Andrew Sega didn't make the music for Hyperblast...It's "Go Down", by Alexander Brandon, which also appears in Deck16][.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I wonder where Andrew Sega is in all of this. I really enjoyed his tracks the most out of everything (sans hyperblast) Is there any chance of someone contacting him about this, or has he already spoken in here? I'd love for a modern version of Isotoxin to come about, it's legit one of my favorite tracks in the franchise. (Though his entire work previously in the game 'In Pursuit of Greed' is utterly stellar and would be a welcome addition.)

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by AlexanderBrandon View Post
    There's also this, which was specifically written inspired by the Unreal / UT universe:

http://alexanderbrandon.bandcamp.com...eam-of-na-pali

That's great! Really captures the atmosphere of the series...

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Yeah, should have mentioned that there is no bad blood whatsoever. Everything was handled amicably and dialogue between us and Jim/Steve was well handled. We just didn't reach an agreement that suited all parties. Hopefully things will change in the future. Thanks, Jim!

Cheers,
    Michiel

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Michielvandenbos View Post
    Giving it away to a company that has the means to compensate us fairly just feels...wrong
    Just for the sake of clarity, we did have many long conversations with the UT composers; some chose to contribute, some did not. With those that did not contribute, we did discuss several forms of compensation, but were unable to come to terms that satisfied everyone involved. AFAIK there's no bad blood, and we have stayed in touch on and off through the months (often just on a personal note - we're fans here as well, and I look at some of these guys as friends after our years of working together). And of course, we'd openly welcome their involvement in the future, especially once we're out of pre-alpha and have more established systems in place.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Why don't we just start a funding campaign for you guys? I'd happily put some money in to help you guys off the ground, you could wait around until alpha/beta when theres more of a community and put word round

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Someone told me this thread hadn't died yet, and some clarification was needed. I see Alex has beaten me to the punch, so I'll just mirror his sentiments. When this is your job, and it's not like I'm raking in the dough or anything, I'll provide some music for free if I have the spare time to make any tunes between jobs. Giving it away to a company that has the means to compensate us fairly just feels...wrong, especially when you do this to pay the bills which is an obligation I have to meet through paid work.

It's a gigantic letdown, because I was absolutely psyched to revisit Unreal Tournament. I wasn't just a composer on the original, but I've played particularly UT99 and UT2k4 completely to death, so I'm also a huge fan of the franchise. I doubt I'll be able to rack up frags today with my diminished reaction-skills but that's beside the point

Maybe Epic will come around, maybe they won't, but this iteration of UT looks stunning and I'm happy to see so much talent on display.

Like Alex said, we're going to be doing our own thing soon. Details will follow at a later date. If you wish to stay updated, give us a Like:

https://www.facebook.com/mvdbos/
    https://www.facebook.com/Alexander-Brandon-96845182620/

I want to thank each and every one of you for the overwhelming, largely positive response to this topic. It's a shame it didn't pan out, but stay tuned.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by iLikeTheUDK View Post
    What about that game you and Michiel are providing music for?
    Voidrunner has a main composer, Ismail, and Michiel and I were invited to write the multiplayer music, but it was dependent on a Kickstarter stretch goal that wasn't reached. The lead designer on the game insists he'll do his best to find a way to engage us though, and we're optimistic, as the game looks utterly gorgeous! Just what we thought about Unreal when it was first made...

Leave a comment:

• replied
    What about that game you and Michiel are providing music for?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Unreal inspired track

There's also this, which was specifically written inspired by the Unreal / UT universe:

http://alexanderbrandon.bandcamp.com...eam-of-na-pali

Leave a comment:

• replied
    If anyone wants to hear more current tunes, my stuff is here:

https://soundcloud.com/funkyrustic

And Michiel's Age of Wonders 3 soundtrack is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ve2RgrC3OMA

Leave a comment:

• replied
    That's definitely been asked for and the closest thing was a "History of Unreal Music" in the Anthology. That was published by Midway but I believe Epic still owns all rights to the original score. If you want it, email 'em and ask! Couldn't hurt to see if they'd release the original tracks for sale or otherwise.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X