Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michielvandenbos View Post
    Hi!

My name is Michiel van den Bos and one of the two main composers for the original Unreal and Unreal Tournament. It's been a while and my memory's a bit foggy, but my music has been featured in classic maps like Curse][, Codex, Facing Worlds, Tempest and many others. I've been composing for games ever since, including the universally praised soundtrack for Age of Wonders 3.

I'm writing here because I was getting messages and e-mails telling me I should, due to the announcement of the new UT.

I was wondering if there is any interest in me getting involved and I'm sure I can get Alex to join in too.
    If so, I'd be happy to continue a discussion here or off-forum at mikebossmusic[at]gmail.com.

Thank you for your attention and best regards,
    Michiel van den Bos

i love you UT goty had the best sountrack also add Colossus my favorite song <3

Comment

Greetings everyone,

It's easy to get confused if communication doesn't take place. So to clarify, Michiel and I wrote a revised title theme and submitted it. Whether it is in, I'm not sure. But we won't be providing additional music. This isn't because we don't want to, or that we demand unreasonable things, or that our "time is gone" (both of us have written quite a bit of music since, just not for UT, and things just change, it's the way of this and other industries... Alexander Courage was the original composer for Star Trek but half a dozen composers have taken on Star Trek scores since then). It's because this is a community built game, and compensation to us wouldn't be fair to the other community composers. I totally understand this, Michiel understands this, Epic understands it. And yes, the difference between the community writers and us is that this is our living and how we pay our bills.

Having said that I can't lie: it's a huge, huge bummer. But we understand and accept the rationale and look forward to playing the great new content being developed by a new breed of developer, and hope you continue to listen to our tunes, as we will never stop writing!

-Alex

Comment

Just a thought:

If skins/models can be bought in this game, couldn't music? If AlexanderBrandon & Michiel Van Den Bos make a track and post it on the marketplace I know I'd press the buy button faster than a shock combo.

Comment

There is an alternate route that still gets the fans new music, still under discussion.

Comment

Thanks for the clarification of the matter, Alexander. I take it that neither of you were hired on to the official UT4 team and were pretty much on the same level as the other contributors that made content for free, right?

The reason I'm wondering is because there are mappers on this forum that are contributing to the game and making maps for free (Not that many maps are being put into the game, but Epic are currently showing off CTF-Pistola and DM-Lea and have them in the game, I believe), but there's someone who used to work on official maps for UT99 that's currently on the official team, and I'm assuming that he's getting paid for his work. With that in mind, it would be kinda weird that fair compensation would be the reason that you two didn't get hired.

Comment

Interesting. I'm afraid I can't speak to what is official or unofficial, or if the assumption that the original UT99 mapper being paid is correct. But... interesting. To directly answer your question, you're right, we weren't hired to be part of any official team.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexanderBrandon View Post
                Interesting. I'm afraid I can't speak to what is official or unofficial, or if the assumption that the original UT99 mapper being paid is correct. But... interesting. To directly answer your question, you're right, we weren't hired to be part of any official team.
                Alexander, i dont know if anybody asked it already or not, but is there any way to get the unreal, unreal return to na pali, unreal tournament and deus ex soundtracks in some (at least) cd quality format? I think many of us would like it. yeah, i'd pay a great deal for it.

Comment

That's definitely been asked for and the closest thing was a "History of Unreal Music" in the Anthology. That was published by Midway but I believe Epic still owns all rights to the original score. If you want it, email 'em and ask! Couldn't hurt to see if they'd release the original tracks for sale or otherwise.

Comment

If anyone wants to hear more current tunes, my stuff is here:

https://soundcloud.com/funkyrustic

And Michiel's Age of Wonders 3 soundtrack is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ve2RgrC3OMA

Comment

Unreal inspired track

There's also this, which was specifically written inspired by the Unreal / UT universe:

http://alexanderbrandon.bandcamp.com...eam-of-na-pali

Comment

What about that game you and Michiel are providing music for?
                        The new UT is coming along nicely...
                        Maybe a new Unreal would be a good idea for Epic's next project? It's certainly somewhat overdue...

Comment

Originally posted by iLikeTheUDK View Post
                          What about that game you and Michiel are providing music for?
                          Voidrunner has a main composer, Ismail, and Michiel and I were invited to write the multiplayer music, but it was dependent on a Kickstarter stretch goal that wasn't reached. The lead designer on the game insists he'll do his best to find a way to engage us though, and we're optimistic, as the game looks utterly gorgeous! Just what we thought about Unreal when it was first made...

Comment

Someone told me this thread hadn't died yet, and some clarification was needed. I see Alex has beaten me to the punch, so I'll just mirror his sentiments. When this is your job, and it's not like I'm raking in the dough or anything, I'll provide some music for free if I have the spare time to make any tunes between jobs. Giving it away to a company that has the means to compensate us fairly just feels...wrong, especially when you do this to pay the bills which is an obligation I have to meet through paid work.

It's a gigantic letdown, because I was absolutely psyched to revisit Unreal Tournament. I wasn't just a composer on the original, but I've played particularly UT99 and UT2k4 completely to death, so I'm also a huge fan of the franchise. I doubt I'll be able to rack up frags today with my diminished reaction-skills but that's beside the point

Maybe Epic will come around, maybe they won't, but this iteration of UT looks stunning and I'm happy to see so much talent on display.

Like Alex said, we're going to be doing our own thing soon. Details will follow at a later date. If you wish to stay updated, give us a Like:

https://www.facebook.com/mvdbos/
                            https://www.facebook.com/Alexander-Brandon-96845182620/

I want to thank each and every one of you for the overwhelming, largely positive response to this topic. It's a shame it didn't pan out, but stay tuned.

Comment

Why don't we just start a funding campaign for you guys? I'd happily put some money in to help you guys off the ground, you could wait around until alpha/beta when theres more of a community and put word round

Comment

Originally posted by Michielvandenbos View Post
                                Giving it away to a company that has the means to compensate us fairly just feels...wrong
                                Just for the sake of clarity, we did have many long conversations with the UT composers; some chose to contribute, some did not. With those that did not contribute, we did discuss several forms of compensation, but were unable to come to terms that satisfied everyone involved. AFAIK there's no bad blood, and we have stayed in touch on and off through the months (often just on a personal note - we're fans here as well, and I look at some of these guys as friends after our years of working together). And of course, we'd openly welcome their involvement in the future, especially once we're out of pre-alpha and have more established systems in place.
                                Jim Brown
                                @EntropicDev
                                Epic Games

Comment

Working...
                                X