Music - Multiple Tracks for Levels?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Music - Multiple Tracks for Levels?

So, with Michiel Van Den Bos and Alexander Brandon both posting on here about contributing music to the game, and the possibility that new composers could also appear in this game, I was thinking that a good idea for this game music wise would be to support a variety of tracks for the levels that would change every time you play it along with a way to adjust how often certain songs appear on certain levels for each individual player instead of there being one static track per level, similar to how music works in Super Smash Bros. Brawl's stages. It could really boost the variety of music the game could offer and it would likely highlight a whole bunch of other musical artists who may want to contribute to this game along with anyone who may want to work on the game's music, making it easier for other talented musical artists to get noticed by people.

I think this could really boost the variety that the game has to offer musically while also providing new music from existing composers that most of everyone wants to see return, I'm just wondering what everyone else thinks of this idea.

I would LOVE a Smash Bros. Brawl-style music manager. Music is personal thing, and everyone has their own tastes. If there's a built-in capacity to set up your own playlists and/or tracks that are tied to maps, it would be wonderful. While UT2004 had a built-in music player with playlist capacity there was no way to tie music to specific levels, or give options to change music for levels short of editing the music file or the map. So it is a HUGE distinction to be able to tie it to levels... music sets the mood. If Map X has a song you don't like, you would be able to change it to something you do like. Give users the ability to choose which songs they want to play for specific levels. Sure someone could make a mutator that does that, but it wouldn't work online unless servers also ran it. If Epic makes a music manager, or simply put the music properties for levels in a user-editable ini file instead of locked in the map's properties, user-selected music would work in all game modes and work online.
    Last edited by jefe; 05-09-2014, 02:03 PM.
    My Invasion Server|Forums|Youtube|Xfire|Downloads

Comment

I actually like a track coupled to a level, makes the level feel more complete.

An OPTIONAL setting to enable random song per level would not hurt i guess.

Comment

I'd go to one specific track per level, WITHOUT that UT3 **** that nearly stopped the music when you were not in combat. That Killed the game's atmosphere.

UT99 levels are memorable because of their soundtracks.

I can name a few level here and everyone will remember their themes:

DM-Deck16
        DM-Morpheus
        Ctf-face

etc.

It was just the same as DOOM, I can say here E1M1 and everyone will remember the song played on that level.

Comment

I agree that tracks for specific levels or sets of levels are great, especially when great songs are chosen. The idea here is that all maps will have defaults that most people will hear if they listen to the in-game music, but if users want to change them, or set up a semi-random playlist for certain levels, they will be able to change the music without breaking online compatibility. This is a great way for players to customize their experience if they choose, and if music is tied to ini files, there aren't any drawbacks. I don't think moving the music properties from the actual map file to a ini file would be an arduous programming task. This sort of thing would work on default maps as well as custom maps -- while this new UT is sure to have a great soundtrack especially if people like Michiel Van den Bos and Kevin Riepl are on board, some mappers don't necessarily choose the best music. If you love a map but it comes with an awful song, wouldn't you want the ability to override it?

BlackOmega, I also agree that UT3's dynamic music system was very disappointing. This proposal isn't anything like that.
          Last edited by jefe; 05-09-2014, 03:29 PM.
          My Invasion Server|Forums|Youtube|Xfire|Downloads

Comment

From a technical standpoint :

UT3 used a mixing system driven by code. Each track was cut into 5/6 parts : ambient, action, etc. The result was that you'd get the epic part when on a multi-kill or carrying a flag. It was really really cool.

Awesomenauts does this as well on multi-kills, it's a lot of fun when you notice.
            Portfolio | DeepVoid (UDK) project leader

Comment

Originally posted by Gwenn View Post
              From a technical standpoint :

UT3 used a mixing system driven by code. Each track was cut into 5/6 parts : ambient, action, etc. The result was that you'd get the epic part when on a multi-kill or carrying a flag. It was really really cool.

Awesomenauts does this as well on multi-kills, it's a lot of fun when you notice.
              It worked well enough for Warfare or VCTF, as those maps are large and do have lulls in combat. For DM or CTF though, I did fell less pumped than I should just traversing the map.

Comment

it's no fun. the game goes silent most of the time. Music should be playing all the time.

Comment

Music was playing all the time. Just not linearly. But yeah, I'm okay with basic soundtracks in DM.

Comment

I think there should be a dynamic music system, but with the general sound of each section compared to the other sections of a song more like in Unreal 1 or (the original) Deus Ex and less like UT3. The "ambient" section, for example, needs to retain some melodic development from the other sections, too, unlike what was done in UT3, that this section hardly had any melodies to speak of at all.
                    The new UT is coming along nicely...
                    Maybe a new Unreal would be a good idea for Epic's next project? It's certainly somewhat overdue...

Comment

A "track" option at the music section should be enough. "Repeated", "Specific", "shuffle", "in order", "randomized" and user options (User Repeated, User Shuffle...) should solve the problems. (:

Repeated - Default play mode. Default track for the map plays till the end just like old times.
                      Specific - The track you choose (in the options menu or before the game/map loads up) will be played repeatedly instead of the default track.
                      Shuffle - Game chooses random songs to play each time.
                      In order - Game starts with default track and goes on alphabetically after that.
                      Randomized - Game starts with default track and follows a randomized list of the OST.
                      User - Game uses user tracks instead of OST.
                      Tiny Details That Should NOT Be Forgotten & Dynamic Arenas & UT4 Storyline - Story Design & Gametype Designs: Volleyball - 3-Way CTF & Smartphone/Tablet Integration

Comment

If the song is nonlinear within a level, it's still possible to have a certain song for a certain map. This still allows for memorability.

I don't know how I feel about that, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Tycerax View Post
                          A "track" option at the music section should be enough. "Repeated", "Specific", "shuffle", "in order", "randomized" and user options (User Repeated, User Shuffle...) should solve the problems. (:

Repeated - Default play mode. Default track for the map plays till the end just like old times.
                          Specific - The track you choose (in the options menu or before the game/map loads up) will be played repeatedly instead of the default track.
                          Shuffle - Game chooses random songs to play each time.
                          In order - Game starts with default track and goes on alphabetically after that.
                          Randomized - Game starts with default track and follows a randomized list of the OST.
                          User - Game uses user tracks instead of OST.
                          I don't know about that. As a level designer I like to choose the music it goes with, it's part of the level atmosphere. Would you really like Deck with the Face music ?

Comment

Originally posted by coldshiver View Post
                            I actually like a track coupled to a level, makes the level feel more complete.

An OPTIONAL setting to enable random song per level would not hurt i guess.
                            What I'm proposing isn't necessarily completely random music every time you play a level from the entire OST of the game, but you are kind of close.

What I'm proposing is pretty much that every level would have a pool of songs and that each song featured on the level would, by default, be randomly chosen from that pool of songs that match with the level every time that it is played. However, settings for each individual level can be adjusted so that you can make it so that certain songs play more than others, or you can even make it so that some songs don't even play at all until only one song is able to play on the level for you, meaning that people who want the original iconic versions of songs for levels can still have only those songs played on those levels if they adjust the settings for that level to be that way.

Basically, It's a way to add variety to the game's ost while not sacrificing the unique feeling that each level can offer by having a pool of songs for each level that are randomly chosen each time you play on it and how often certain songs play can be adjusted to the player's liking if the player favors some songs over others. And no, This isn't anything related to UT3's dynamic music thing, the tracks that would play would simply play over the map like music in UT99 and UT2k4 did, only this way we could feature many musical artists instead of a few.

Hopefully this clarifies what I'm proposing more to you and anyone else who may be confused.
                            Last edited by MacD11; 05-13-2014, 12:31 PM.

Comment

I'd rather see the original "track-per-level" system, but with an option that allows level developers to create additional dynamics using triggers. Let's say I create a customized level dynamic that severely intensifies the gameplay, during which a more pumping version of the "default" track would be playing.
                              Also known as musilowski.
                              UE user since 1998.

Comment

Working...
                              X