Jo.7's Soundtracks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[PROTOTYPE] Jo.7's Soundtracks

I make soundtracks for maps and in general. All feedback is welcome. Updated 24.3.2017.

Test for AS-Ballistic
    4.0, 3.0

Shared Dig

Future Skaarj

Test for UT4 Menu Theme

Robot (Based on Gooba's Robot Concept)

Foregone Destruction

Test for DM-Biotower

Test for DM-Deadfall

Test for DM-Outpost23

Test for DM-CrashSite

Next Phase (Test for DM-Overlord)

Castle Chant

Titan Pass Cinematic Soundtrack

Test for CTF-Valhalla

Heavyend Stinger (Test for match end)

This Is Izanagi (Based on Izanagi Sniper Concept Art by Gooba)

Test for CTF-Outside

Last edited by Jo.7; 03-23-2017, 10:09 PM.
    Soundcloud / Soundtracks Thread

It might be a better idea to focus on something else than the menu theme, as it has been chosen already: https://forums.unrealtournament.com/...New-Menu-Music

That being said, I think your concept sounds a little bit boring compared to the original menu themes and the new one.

The reason I think that is because the rhythm is very pronounced while the harmony is rather dim and sometimes barely present. You emphasize on the rhythm, while the rhythm is the most monotonic part of the track. Instead, you could turn it around and throw in more interesting harmony and make it louder in general, that's how the old UT99 theme did it, since it had a pretty monotonic rhythm as well. I especially aim at 1:58 and onwards of your track, which sounds lacking.

Aside from that, you seem to be doing a remake of a remake here, you're trying to remake the UT3 track which was a remake of the UT99 track, this is more of a personal concern but I would've liked to hear something new from people for the menu for UT4 instead of same old, kinda like how UT2003 had its own glorious theme.

But ... Perhaps you could stop working on this one and instead try brainstorming about themes for maps

Think about a castle theme for instance, or a theme for oceanic/water-related maps, perhaps one for Egyptian maps, or simply a theme for industrial maps!

Another good thing to do is finding busy mappers around here and try making some music for their maps if they agree.

I'm pretty sure EPIC will start looking for music around here to accompany their maps soon, so trying to look at the themes of the currently included maps and making something fitting for them is helpful too.

These are just tips though, it's just that I think you'd be better off putting the effort in other things like map music, consider it, but if you want to do your thing, just do your thing!
    Music Concepts for UT4 (Soundcloud) || Thread || Website

IN-GAME NICKS: Avalanche / <--Archer-<<

Comment

Originally posted by Archer6621 View Post
      It might be a better idea to focus on something else than the menu theme, as it has been chosen already: https://forums.unrealtournament.com/...New-Menu-Music
      Oh, I didn't know that was decided to be the official menu theme?

Comment

Hey verry cool soundtrack for the new UT4 Menu Theme verry cool man

Comment

Originally posted by Jo.7 View Post
          Oh, I didn't know that was decided to be the official menu theme?
          Well it is in the builds for a while now, the chance is slim that it will suddenly be replaced.

Comment

I wouldn't assume almost any content in the game at this stage is 'final.' Even if it were, I can see all kinds of events and such that might want utilize different menu music.

Looking forward to seeing what else you come up with though!
            Join Project: Open Tournament: OpenTournamentGame.com | Project Trello | Discord | YouTube

Subscribe to /r/UnrealSeries - The subreddit for free & uncensored discussion of Unreal series games!

Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol

Comment

Originally posted by Wail View Post
              Even if it were, I can see all kinds of events and such that might want utilize different menu music.
              This would actually be pretty neat, not that many games do it, but I liked it in the ones I know that did.

Comment

All speculation aside, in regard to the music itself, it's on the right track but I think it could stand more polish in the composition and quality of sounds used. To me some of them almost sound jamaican-ish or something, I get a weird vibe from them. The introduction is too sparse for too long, I think it should get down to business sooner.

UT4 modding discussion: irc.globalgamers.net #UTModders
                Contrib Digest | UT2341 - Henrik's UT4 Dev Blog | Twitter

Comment

Pretty good start for the main theme music! It may sound a
                  little similar to the UT3 main menu theme music, but hey,
                  nice job! Like the almost ending part.
                  Have fun fragging in the tournament! - ShrapnelAD aka "FlakTaryd" or "FlakT"

Comment

Updated DM-Circuit. Thanks for the feedback.

Originally posted by HenrikRyosa View Post
                    All speculation aside, in regard to the music itself, it's on the right track but I think it could stand more polish in the composition and quality of sounds used. To me some of them almost sound jamaican-ish or something, I get a weird vibe from them. The introduction is too sparse for too long, I think it should get down to business sooner.
                    I was indeed trying to recreate UT99 and UT3 themes and they are pretty similar. I'm worried about the Jamaica thing, it must be from the Pizz. I think most of the soundtracks made by the community so far lacked the UT -feel and were more like Unreal 1, people should be careful with the cliché electric guitars and overly dramatic synths.
                    Last edited by Jo.7; 03-18-2015, 04:49 PM.

Comment

I liked the theme. It's very UT3'ish, with some resemblance to UT99's main theme. Not bad, but there is already a more fitting one being used for the test plays. But don't quit! Keep delivering!
                      Olá!
                      Take a look (listen) at my Portfolio!
                      https://soundcloud.com/illya_benkard/sets/portfolio

Audiophile and cinematophile...this is me

Comment

Who says that Epic cant, or wont add multiple menu themes though? I believe there was talk about having multiple menu themes and having them play in a random order whenever the main menu is being used awhile back.

Anyway, as for the theme music itself, I think its pretty good Jo.7! It would be neat to see it on the main menu alongside the current theme, but im unsure what Epic has in mind in that regard entirely. I think it could probably use a little more of an "Oomph" at the beginning though, like the original theme for UT99.

As for your DM-Circuit theme, This one's my favorite of your tracks right now. It really fits Circuit very well, and I think it would sound awesome if it were used in the map. I cant really find much to ask for in terms of improvements for it atm, except that I wish there was more.

Hope you will be iterating on these tracks some more!

Comment

Originally posted by MacD11 View Post
                          Who says that Epic cant, or wont add multiple menu themes though? I believe there was talk about having multiple menu themes and having them play in a random order whenever the main menu is being used awhile back.
                          I guess I missed that then.

I just thought that working on map music would probably be more productive, since the majority of the music in the game is going to be map music, and it would be great if people with good production skills like Jo for instance would focus more on that and on coming up with multiple concepts for the various themes that will be in the game.

Of course he's doing that now, which is great.

I can't comment on the Circuit track right now because Soundcloud is apparently having a seizure, will check it out tomorrow.

Comment

Test for DM-Circuit 2.0 updated into the OP (obviously the picture in the is there to brainwash you into thinking it fits!)

Originally posted by MacD11 View Post
                            This would be nice, but the maps should stick with their music.

I can't comment on the Circuit track right now because Soundcloud is apparently having a seizure, will check it out tomorrow.
                            Will upload some on Bandcamp or Picosong soon, SoundCloud does that a lot.
                            Last edited by Jo.7; 01-28-2015, 07:53 AM.

Comment

Okay, I had a listen to the Circuit track (v 2.0), I think it's quite good and along the right road.

However, I also think it lacks a bit of intensity. It seems that it is preparing for an intense part during the entire track, but that intense part never comes showing up.

So my recommendation is this: Try to fit in a more intense part somewhere right after 1:20, or maybe at another later time.

Examples:
                              -Tribes 2 Ice theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKPNSErp1m0

In this one, it keeps preparing from 0:00 to 1:28, while becoming intenser. After 1:28 it becomes very intense and stays like that for a while, but that might be too long for your track.

-Unreal II Sulferon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xmom38QP2sY

In this one you have (one of) the intense part(s) after 2:42, the build up starts at 2:00.

-UT 2004 Level 11: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mR97HYW-Gy8

Obvious one, rough part starts at 2:39, everything before it is mostly preparation.

Hope the feedback makes sense.

Comment

Working...
                              X