X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my take on weapon sounds after january update

Enforcer: sound is fine

Bio Rifle:
    good characteristic of weapon, you feel like you are shooting goo, I like it

Shock Rifle:

primary: annoying, weird follow up sound after shot should be removed, not enough punch in it in my opinion, should be more satisfying, ut2k4 sound was really good
    secondary: same thing, annoying high pitch follow up sound that serves no purpose, take a look at ut2k4 sound
    implosion: not enough energy weapon characteristic, echo at the end should be removed, once again take a loot at 2k4

Pulse Gun:
    primary: WTF, it's really bad, like straight from 1980 movies
    secondary: I feel like sound is behind something, overall sounds quite boring

Minigun:
    I know it is still a placeholder.

Flak cannon:

primary: like it, punchy and not overwhelming
    secondary: explosion sound is good, I dont like inintial sound, like two sounds merged togather, should be more ut99 like, also I don't enjoy hearing the parts after explosion, either lower this sounds or remove them

Rocket Launcher:
    sounds weird, I get the feeling like someone far away from me shot this in some kind of big hall, explosion sound is ok, should be short, punchy but not overwhelming when multiple people shoot at each other.

Sniper Rifle: It fits the model, zoom sound is good.

Simplicity and satisfaction should be main motto of sound makers. Follow up sounds of weapons like shock ones should be avoided. It is fun for a while but after many hours it gets really annoying and will be disturbing in competitive play when you really watch out for the footstep and stuff. Sounds should be punchy, but not to the point where it wrecks your ears after 2 hours of playing.

Originally posted by theo87 View Post
    Enforcer: sound is fine

Bio Rifle:
    good characteristic of weapon, you feel like you are shooting goo, I like it

Shock Rifle:

primary: annoying, weird follow up sound after shot should be removed, not enough punch in it in my opinion, should be more satisfying, ut2k4 sound was really good
    secondary: same thing, annoying high pitch follow up sound that serves no purpose, take a look at ut2k4 sound
    implosion: not enough energy weapon characteristic, echo at the end should be removed, once again take a loot at 2k4

Pulse Gun:
    primary: WTF, it's really bad, like straight from 1980 movies
    secondary: I feel like sound is behind something, overall sounds quite boring

Minigun:
    I know it is still a placeholder.

Flak cannon:

primary: like it, punchy and not overwhelming
    secondary: explosion sound is good, I dont like inintial sound, like two sounds merged togather, should be more ut99 like, also I don't enjoy hearing the parts after explosion, either lower this sounds or remove them

Rocket Launcher:
    sounds weird, I get the feeling like someone far away from me shot this in some kind of big hall, explosion sound is ok, should be short, punchy but not overwhelming when multiple people shoot at each other.

Sniper Rifle: It fits the model, zoom sound is good.

Simplicity and satisfaction should be main motto of sound makers. Follow up sounds of weapons like shock ones should be avoided. It is fun for a while but after many hours it gets really annoying and will be disturbing in competitive play when you really watch out for the footstep and stuff. Sounds should be punchy, but not to the point where it wrecks your ears after 2 hours of playing.
    Hey bud, thanks for the feedback and taking the time to write it up.

BioRifle: Sound was still imported from UT3, and is still a placeholder.

Shock: the follow up sound is the "reload" sound, it's to indicate when the gun is ready to fire. there is a similar mechanic on the secondary fire, but that is to indicate when the primary is ready to fire to detonate the secondary ball. I admit, the execution can be changed in the future, but those sounds themselves do serve a purpose.

Pulse gun: I have gotten a few feedback regarding the "old sci-fi" sounding primary fire and I can see where they are coming from with that comparison. The Secondary fire sounds a bit wonky at the moment because the pitch is being modified depending on the surface the beam is hitting. It's a quick and dirty way to do it and alternative ways are being explored.

Your description of simplicity and satisfaction is not wrong. Sounds should be punchy, but unique. Time to experiment with some more sounds.

Comment

Working...
    X