Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, those rev02 sounds are awesome I would love to have a way to try them in game even if just in the editor. Do you have a blueprint or something with the sounds on it?
    HABOUJI! Ouboudah! Batai d'va!
    BeyondUnreal - Liandri Archives [An extensive repository of Unreal lore.] - Join us on IRC [irc.utchat.com - #beyondunreal]

Comment

I don't. I should really look into that. Would it be sufficient for now to provide a download link? Also I can upload them as individual sounds instead of three in one file. I did that originally so that it would be easy to listen to and not have to go back and hit play over and over again. Thanks for listening!

Comment

Originally posted by MaxCarnage View Post
        I don't. I should really look into that. Would it be sufficient for now to provide a download link? Also I can upload them as individual sounds instead of three in one file. I did that originally so that it would be easy to listen to and not have to go back and hit play over and over again. Thanks for listening!
        Yeah, why don't you send me the source sounds and I will try to put them in a blueprint for you.
        HABOUJI! Ouboudah! Batai d'va!
        BeyondUnreal - Liandri Archives [An extensive repository of Unreal lore.] - Join us on IRC [irc.utchat.com - #beyondunreal]

Comment

Originally posted by Archer6621 View Post
          I'm not sure about the new enforcer sounds, perhaps you need to let the reverb do its thing instead of making the sound fade out, so put the sounds in and then just put a reverb over the master if you get what I mean. Could you also post a dry version?

Yeah, I did taper off the reverb. I can do a version where it rings out. Also, I will post a dry version as well. Thanks Archer6621! Keep on pumping out those amazing pieces!
          Last edited by MaxCarnage; 09-26-2014, 03:28 PM.

Comment

The Flak Cannon sounds are mostly good, but what immediately stick out to me was that the ball explosion sound feels more like a good alt fire sound to me.

The ammo pickup seems almost perfect, I would add a click to its end and it's all fine.

The arm weapon sound sounds almost good as well. I would suggest to make one version which includes another higher pitched hydraulic sound near the end, basically something that sounds as if the weapon was just turned on, as if something mechanical would have started. I think this would make a good combination. Then one could compare which one is better suited for weapon equipment.

I'm not exactly sure about the primary fire, it sounds very controlled and "equal" for a somewhat unpredictable weapon like the Flak Cannon, where the primary shards have a random scatter and bounce off walls. I think something might be lacking there as it sounds very bassy, powerful and loud, but it might be still too close to a shotgun shot. Listen to the UT1 and UT3 sounds, I think those were good examples of powerful Flak Cannon shots, they contain a sound effect that yours doesn't (yet?) which I think could work well here to finish this sound.
            What I appreciated about the UT3 Flak Cannon primary sounds was that the shots had quite a lot of variation, this added to the satisfaction when using it imo.

For the alt fire sound, I think that one as a standalone sound might be too weak yet. As I have said, the ball explosion sound sounds quite like something that would suit the alt fire sound, maybe if you shorten its duration by ca. 1/2 you could replace the explosion/bang at the beginning of the alt fire sound with that ball explosion sound? I would suggest to give it a try and see how it sounds.

Now to the Enforcer:
            I think you have done a pretty good job here with this sound combination. It sounds quite good, but as was stated about the reverb, it could sound better if it would ring out.
            The "serial shot" at the end sounds quite convincing and I could imagine that this would fit well into the game.
            Last edited by Sly.; 09-26-2014, 04:00 PM.
            S l y .

Comment

Originally posted by Sly. View Post
              The Flak Cannon sounds are mostly good, but what immediately stick out to me was that the ball explosion sound feels more like a good alt fire sound to me.

The ammo pickup seems almost perfect, I would add a click to its end and it's all fine.

The arm weapon sound sounds almost good as well. I would suggest to make one version which includes another higher pitched hydraulic sound near the end, basically something that sounds as if the weapon was just turned on, as if something mechanical would have started. I think this would make a good combination. Then one could compare which one is better suited for weapon equipment.

I'm not exactly sure about the primary fire, it sounds very controlled and "equal" for a somewhat unpredictable weapon like the Flak Cannon, where the primary shards have a random scatter and bounce off walls. I think something might be lacking there as it sounds very bassy, powerful and loud, but it might be still too close to a shotgun shot. Listen to the UT1 and UT3 sounds, I think those were good examples of powerful Flak Cannon shots, they contain a sound effect that yours doesn't (yet?) which I think could work well here to finish this sound.
              What I appreciated about the UT3 Flak Cannon primary sounds was that the shots had quite a lot of variation, this added to the satisfaction when using it imo.

For the alt fire sound, I think that one as a standalone sound might be too weak yet. As I have said, the ball explosion sound sounds quite like something that would suit the alt fire sound, maybe if you shorten its duration by ca. 1/2 you could replace the explosion/bang at the beginning of the alt fire sound with that ball explosion sound? I would suggest to give it a try and see how it sounds.

Now to the Enforcer:
              I think you have done a pretty good job here with this sound combination. It sounds quite good, but as was stated about the reverb, it could sound better if it would ring out.
              The "serial shot" at the end sounds quite convincing and I could imagine that this would fit well into the game.
              Fantastic feedback Sly! I will do a bit more research into the previous Flak sounds. I do like the description about the Flak Cannon being unpredictable. Perhaps a more loose firing sound. Thanks guys!

Comment

The Enforcer sound has a bit too much reverb for my personal tastes. Not every room is going to echo like that and you don't want to hear every shot twice.

The Flak sounds are pretty great though. If you submit the files I'll add them in and play around a bit to see how they feel.
                Jim Brown
                @EntropicDev
                Epic Games

Comment

Originally posted by Entropy View Post
                  The Enforcer sound has a bit too much reverb for my personal tastes. Not every room is going to echo like that and you don't want to hear every shot twice.

The Flak sounds are pretty great though. If you submit the files I'll add them in and play around a bit to see how they feel.
                  Very cool! Let me know how it works out. I did not reference the animation nor the timing of the firing sequence of the current Flak Cannon.

Please refer to the second email with the wetransfer. The second set of tiles should be files with individual SFX.
                  Thanks!

Back to working on the Flak (with some great feedback) and the Enforcer sounds. There is a Shock Rifle design that looks pretty amazing as well that I may start on...

Comment

I took a long look at the Flak audio you submitted, absolutely fantastic stuff! Here are my thoughts:

- The alt impact sound is pretty spot on, except that it has so much reverb. When this gets combined with with map's environmental settings you get echo-echo-echo-echo-echo.... In short, this is because your audio is stereo while the previous one was mono. We made this change for UT3 to save on audio memory, no decision if we'll be doing that this time around. I went ahead and converted that file to mono and it sounds great, very consistent with the UT3 stuff. It would be nice to have one or two more variants.I would suggest one with slightly less reverb to see how it sounds in stereo.

- The primary fire audio is a bit bass heavy; it has a LOT of punch to it, and doesn't have the high end "tinkling" of the individual shards as they eject from the barrel. THAT SAID - it was 100% perfect as an alt-fire sound so I went ahead and moved it over; it sounds great there! It would be nice to have one or two more variants that are very similar. I would request an all new sound for the primary fire, however, that has the shards in it.

- I like the "thump" of the alt fire, but the old sounds have a bit more "explosive sizzle" on the high end of the spectrum to balance them out. Not saying one or the other is better, just that your is slightly different and I want to spend more time with it before making a call. Do you have any thoughts here? I left it in as a variant, and it is growing on me a bit...

- The raise audio is good. It may need tweaking once we have an articulated model, difficult to say. We'll also need a short sound for lowering the weapon. The raise works great for what it is right now, though.

- Lastly, we'll eventually need a sound for picking up the weapon.

{[UPDATE] - I went ahead and created the sounds listed below, so feel free to ignore outside of providing feedback!}

- There were a couple other existing sounds that you didn't recreate, but they're very low priority: the hiss of the alt-fire while its in the air and the impact of the shards on various material types. I would wait on creating these until later, however, as the other weapons/pickups probably take priority.

- The sound for the Flak pickup was a bit too jarring and mechanical. Scared me whenever I when over it. :P I think the screeching of the "mechanical screw" aspect is off. I was thinking more along the lines of "plugging a giant shell into a launcher tube" or "the rattling of a box full of geodes".
                    Last edited by Entropy; 11-07-2014, 11:31 AM. Reason: UPDATE
                    Jim Brown
                    @EntropicDev
                    Epic Games

Comment

I completly agree with reverb, you made some predelay effect on it that comes after "click", or "boom"(then reverb comes). Try using short room reverb, just to colour the sound abit

Comment

Amazing sound.

Comment

Sweet! Thank you for the notes. Lots to play around with. I will return with more sounds shortly!

Comment

Carnage, if you don't mind, what sound libraries are you using? Thanks.
                            Sound designer, composer, flash game dev, and Unreal mapper. My Soundcloud. My games.

Comment

About the enforcer I have to say:

The best single shot sound is the 2th
                              The best burst shot sound is the 6th, by far.

Personaly, I found the 5th quite lame, sorry.
                              Wonder how the 4th was.

Comment

Goodness, there are a good number of them. I used to be a fan of the General 6000 series and such, but honestly I have been gravitating more towards SFX libraries from independent companies; such as Boom, Airborne Sound, Chuck Russom FX, SoundMorph, The Recordist, Hiss and Roar only to name a few. I couldn't tell you which ones I used for these sounds since I pick and choose everything by the sound rather than the library. They are all over the place. But, I am going to try to be more helpful and provide a link that allows you to listen and see what libraries are available. They are often cheap (well, relative to the bigger company libraries anyway) and high quality sounds to play with.

http://www.asoundeffect.com/

Check it out if you are interested. Happy sound design!

Comment

Working...
                                X