Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carnage, would you mind posting the files? The flak cannon is a makeshift weapon, and I have an idea that will really sell it. I don't think anyone will be disappointed.

I totally understand if you want to do it all yourself though. I'm the same way, haha.
    Sound designer, composer, flash game dev, and Unreal mapper. My Soundcloud. My games.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick_D'Amato View Post
      Carnage, would you mind posting the files? The flak cannon is a makeshift weapon, and I have an idea that will really sell it. I don't think anyone will be disappointed.

I totally understand if you want to do it all yourself though. I'm the same way, haha.
      How do you mean about posting it? Like the individual files? If you have a ProTools I can send you the session (granted the plug-ins won't work) but it will be much easier than to export every layer in these sounds are 23 tracks deep!

Comment

The sound of the piston seems too subtle, or too blended into the firing sound - Particularly in regards to loading the next shell into place. Perhaps the bang lasts too long and is obscuring the mechanical sounds?

Listen to the sound UT99 - the mechanics/hydraulics are as big a part of the sound as the firing itself. Hell, in the original Unreal, they're even more pronounced.
        also known as Humphro

Comment

Originally posted by Diode View Post
          The sound of the piston seems too subtle, or too blended into the firing sound - Particularly in regards to loading the next shell into place. Perhaps the bang lasts too long and is obscuring the mechanical sounds?

Listen to the sound UT99 - the mechanics/hydraulics are as big a part of the sound as the firing itself. Hell, in the original Unreal, they're even more pronounced.
          In the first couple of revisions, the piston reload sounds were more pronounced and more apparent. I was given notes on lowering it and make the priority for to the fire sound (nice big boom) In UT99, the secondary fire had a slower fire rate and allowed piston sound to be louder. I can bring the piston sounds back up and perhaps shorten the tail for the initial boom. Are you referring to both the secondary and primary piston sounds or just the secondary fire?

Comment

Originally posted by MaxCarnage View Post
            How do you mean about posting it? Like the individual files? If you have a ProTools I can send you the session (granted the plug-ins won't work) but it will be much easier than to export every layer in these sounds are 23 tracks deep!
            I meant can you post the sounds on Soundcloud with a download option? Not every track individually, just the final mixes. Unfortunately, I don't have Pro Tools yet.
            Sound designer, composer, flash game dev, and Unreal mapper. My Soundcloud. My games.

Comment

I meant can you post the sounds on Soundcloud with a download option? Not every track individually, just the final mixes. Unfortunately, I don't have Pro Tools yet.
              Ah, gotcha. yeah, I can do that. Just give me a day or so. Recording day tomorrow.

Comment

I guess the rev 08 is the latest? The primary fire has a bit too distinctive sound of glass breaking. I'd cut that down a bit and I think it needs more metallic "CLING" and / or "CLANG" sound if you know what I mean.

The Alt fire could be a bit tighter, more punch so to speak.
                Soundcloud / Soundtracks Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Jo.7 View Post
                  I guess the rev 08 is the latest? The primary fire has a bit too distinctive sound of glass breaking. I'd cut that down a bit and I think it needs more metallic "CLING" and / or "CLANG" sound if you know what I mean.
                  You're in luck.

Here's my idea with Carnage's Flak Primary Fire sound:
                  https://soundcloud.com/nicholas-dama...arnage/s-syohg

Here's my sound by itself (still needs a reload):
                  https://soundcloud.com/nicholas-dama...cannon/s-K7na5

It's rough, just a quick concept. But it should feel more brutal, like a piece of mining equipment. Let me know what you think.

To be honest, Carnage, I think we should leave the breaking glass sounds out. It always just sounded like glass or ice to me. For the shards, maybe try lots of subtle, varied ricochet sounds.
                  Last edited by Nick_D'Amato; 04-21-2015, 07:22 PM.

Comment

You're in luck.

It's rough, just a quick concept. But it should feel more brutal, like a piece of mining equipment. Let me know what you think.

To be honest, Carnage, I think we should leave the breaking glass sounds out. It always just sounded like glass or ice to me. For the shards, maybe try lots of subtle, varied ricochet sounds.
                    I wouldn't want to leave it out completely, just that right now you recognize it very easily. The combined Primary sounds just that: combined. Your sound by itself sounds kind of boring and slow and more of an alt fire. The primary should be fast too.
                    Soundcloud / Soundtracks Thread

Comment

You're in luck.

The debris certainly doesn't come across as metal as I would like yet. Although admittedly I focused more on the initial firing sound. I feel like we should still explore the debris sound more considering how prominent it is on the visual side and how iconic it is to the Flak. Perhaps it's a combination of lowering the volume even further or exploring other textures for the debris.

I do want to echo that I also miss the hydraulic sound of the reload that is currently being masked by the debris scattering. As you know the debris is as a separate file from the primary fire sound. I wonder if the debris for the Flak should be in a different sound cue altogether and there for behaves differently than the primary fire sound. More of an environmental sound rather than sound coming from the gun. Some options to explore here.

Comment

Here it is with the debris:

https://soundcloud.com/nicholas-dama...rnage2/s-BloUM

I'll have to listen to it again in a couple days, but I think if my sound was mixed properly with Carnage's, it would probably work well. For primary or alt fire. I like the added heaviness.

Carnage, if you want to work on the Flak alone, just let me know. I completely understand. But I get first dibs on the next weapon.
                        Last edited by Nick_D'Amato; 04-21-2015, 08:35 PM.

Comment

Here it is with the debris:

https://soundcloud.com/nicholas-dama...rnage2/s-BloUM

I'll have to listen to it again in a couple days, but I think if my sound was mixed properly with Carnage's, it would probably work well. For primary or alt fire. I like the added heaviness.

Carnage, if you want to work on the Flak alone, just let me know. I completely understand. But I get first dibs on the next weapon.
                          Haha, no worries Nick! Share and Enjoy! (to quote one of Douglas Adams's book) I am stoked that there are more guys working on SFX. It puts my rear in gear (considering how often I update with new sounds.)

What was that they say in the audio world? "If it sounds good, it IS good." I appreciate that you like my sound enough to jump start your creativity and add to it!

Comment

Out of curiosity, what did you think of my sounds? I feel like your version of the Flak is a little too tight, refined, and busy. I think the dull thud and clang in mine sounds more like a brutal piece of mining equipment. It would need to be mixed properly with yours, but I feel like it would be an improvement.

If it's bad, you can tell me. I didn't spend long on it and my ears might be deceiving me again. I'm better at telling what's going on in music.

I think I tend to like more subtle, realistic sounds so it might be a personal preference.
                            Last edited by Nick_D'Amato; 04-22-2015, 05:33 PM.

Comment

Its definitely a good sound, but it's not sure what it wants to be. Primary and Alt need to sound distinctly different as they do different thigns and provide different feedback to the player. This one probably has too much "boom" for the primary, and too much "flak" for the Alt.

Max is great, but he doesn't hold exclusive rights. Jump in and make something, we'd love to hear what you come up with! We're doing this together, afterall!
                              Jim Brown
                              @EntropicDev
                              Epic Games

Comment

Out of curiosity, what did you think of my sounds? I feel like your version of the Flak is a little too tight, refined, and busy. I think the dull thud and clang in mine sounds more like a brutal piece of mining equipment. It would need to be mixed properly with yours, but I feel like it would be an improvement.

If it's bad, you can tell me. I didn't spend long on it and my ears might be deceiving me again. I'm better at telling what's going on in music.

I think I tend to like more subtle, realistic sounds so it might be a personal preference.
                                Doh'! Forgot to give you feedback on that. Sorry! I am going to echo Entropy a bit here, but I was under the impression that the Primary fire would be focusing on the impact of the Flak ball exploding and shards coming out everywhere, while the secondary focuses more on the expelling of the whole shell, so it gives a deeper thump (like a grenade launcher thump.)

The comment about my Flak sound being busy is something I appreciate. The way I sound design, I just keep adding and adding, and sometimes it adds more by taking things back out. Sometimes the business is lost on me after a while I lose track of it (after listening it to it on repeat for several hundred times. I always appreciate a second (or more) set of ears to provide me perspective. So, thanks for that!

P.S I agree with Entropy, I don't have rights or "dibs" to any sound. It's a community project create, share, and revise and share some more!

Comment

Working...
                                X