Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's interesting, I never thought about primary fire like that. I figured it would just sound like a shotgun as it's essentially the same thing. Shell bursts open, pieces of metal shoot out. A shotgun just sounds like an explosion.

Here's my flak sound with your reload sound:
    https://soundcloud.com/nicholas-dama...arnage/s-yJwiy

It sounds like Flak secondary fire to me. It has the deep thump you talked about. I created the fire sound from artillery samples. That's as close as you're going to get to a real-life Flak cannon. I think it feels more visceral than your sound. Not that yours is bad, but I think it's a little more cartoony.

I think we have different styles. I'm probably trying to be too realistic for UT, and you're good at exaggerating everything. I like simple; the less the original sounds have to be manipulated the better.
    Last edited by Nick_D'Amato; 04-23-2015, 02:42 PM.
    Sound designer, composer, flash game dev, and Unreal mapper. My Soundcloud. My games.

Comment

It's pretty important to me that it is easy to listen to. I will probably hear this sound tens of thousands of times. No high pitched anything. No distortion. Please :]

Comment

Originally posted by Nick_D'Amato View Post
        I feel like your version of the Flak is a little too tight, refined, and busy. I think the dull thud and clang in mine sounds more like a brutal piece of mining equipment. It would need to be mixed properly with yours, but I feel like it would be an improvement.

I think I tend to like more subtle, realistic sounds so it might be a personal preference.
        Tight, refined and busy is exactly what I'm looking for overall UT -sound, same goes for one of the greatest weapon of UT. In MaxCarnages sound(s) theres also clarity, which I don't get from your sounds. As you said you tend to go for more realistic, but I'd go the opposite. Its called Unreal Tournament for a reason. Same thing with the enormous discussion about the Sniper Rifle Concept art and the final product, people are trying too hard to find "realistic" things and real life comparison where they shouldn't.

Yes obviously everyone can contribute, but I'm a bit worried for the fact that there might a Alt Fire by Nick_D'Amato and Primary by MaxCarnage (or vice versa). Rather do it together or let the other one make both.
        Soundcloud / Soundtracks Thread

Comment

Maybe my perception is off because I made it today, but I think my Alt Fire has more clarity than Carnage's. By clarity, I mean readability; it should sound like a makeshift grenade launcher. Carnage's sound doesn't have enough heft/weight.

I think the problem with mine is the second clang needs to be the reload sound. I'll experiment with it.
          Last edited by Nick_D'Amato; 04-24-2015, 12:20 AM.
          Sound designer, composer, flash game dev, and Unreal mapper. My Soundcloud. My games.

Comment

Originally posted by Jo.7 View Post
            Yes obviously everyone can contribute, but I'm a bit worried for the fact that there might a Alt Fire by Nick_D'Amato and Primary by MaxCarnage (or vice versa). Rather do it together or let the other one make both.
            I understand your concern regarding consistency in style for the final overall sound of UT, but I feel like there is still a ton of time for revisions and changes to accommodate that. As of right now we are still trying to figure out, the over all style (audio in particular) of the game. Certainly just because it is in the game currently doesn't mean it is set in stone. There is still so many other sounds to create. I am sure we will come back and revisit these sounds as the game evolves.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick_D'Amato View Post
              Maybe my perception is off because I made it today, but I think my Alt Fire has more clarity than Carnage's. By clarity, I mean readability; it should sound like a makeshift grenade launcher. Carnage's sound doesn't have enough heft/weight.

I think the problem with mine is the second clang needs to be the reload sound. I'll experiment with it.
              If you were going for the alternate fire, I would love to hear some more "thunk" kinda sound as the ball gets launched from the launcher. I liken' it more to a grenade launcher. I like the crispness of the mechanical "clinks." I take it you scooped a lot of the mid range to bring up that clarity, but now I am missing the meat of the explosion. I love the low end, but it doesn't sound like it is being fired right in front of me, rather it is fired at a distance away. Listening to it on my crappy laptop speaker I lose all of that low end power and I am left with some of the high end "clanks." Perhaps split the difference?

Comment

The mechanical "whirring" at the end of Max's Flak sounds was something that I actually changed for the version that's in game. I lowered both the pitch and volume of it because the high frequencies were cutting through and masking the "thunk" of the shot itself, especially in the heat of battle (high frequencies will always cut through, especially on low end speakers that can't handle the bass kicks as well). This meant that people were noticing the shot _after_ it had been fired and it made the gun feel "off" as a result. It could probably be reduced even more.
                Jim Brown
                @EntropicDev
                Epic Games

Comment

I think when you say "grenade launcher" you mean that you want that "thoooomp" sound akin to an M79 grenade launcher: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0U2U-CD7MM 2:21. What we also need is a sound like steam coming out of the ducts of the Flak cannon so it can cool off and expel the heat out of its heat shield. So after the launch should be a residual "shhhhhhhh" sound. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ib3Hn188Jwc The sound at 0:02 is perfect!
                  Last edited by av3nger; 05-22-2015, 01:25 AM.
                  Trevor B.
                  Voice Work
                  Sound Effects

Mercenary and Gen Mo'Kai ------------------------------------ Link Gun

Comment

The original Flak Cannon (99) has a sound that plays when the subsequent shell is locked into place. This doesn't seem like a big deal, but I feel like it makes a huge difference in the feel that the weapon is actually operating.

With the 'Rebel' Flak Cannon variant I made, I implemented this post-firing sound, and I feel like it improves the weapon a lot. Check it out in the video here. The 'click-click' sound that happens roughly .33 seconds after firing is actually a distinct sound event. On the original Flak Cannon model this corresponds with the next shell 'locking' into place with teeth-like bars.

Join Project: Open Tournament: OpenTournamentGame.com | Project Trello | Discord | YouTube

Subscribe to /r/UnrealSeries - The subreddit for free & uncensored discussion of Unreal series games!

Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol

Comment

Originally posted by Wail View Post
                      The original Flak Cannon (99) has a sound that plays when the subsequent shell is locked into place. This doesn't seem like a big deal, but I feel like it makes a huge difference in the feel that the weapon is actually operating.

With the 'Rebel' Flak Cannon variant I made, I implemented this post-firing sound, and I feel like it improves the weapon a lot. Check it out in the video here. The 'click-click' sound that happens roughly .33 seconds after firing is actually a distinct sound event. On the original Flak Cannon model this corresponds with the next shell 'locking' into place with teeth-like bars.

oh my god,love me some hydraulics at 0:26, this is so much WIN!
                      Last edited by artuur; 05-22-2015, 04:42 AM.

Comment

Love Rev 7 primary fire, has a real punch to it. Makes you feel like you're actually firing a powerful weapon.

Comment

I can tell that the flak cannon still needs a shell insert sound when the next flak shell is inserted.
                          Trevor B.
                          Voice Work
                          Sound Effects

Mercenary and Gen Mo'Kai ------------------------------------ Link Gun

Comment

Originally posted by artuur View Post
                            oh my god,love me some hydraulics at 0:26, this is so much WIN!
                            they probably recorded some old black and white printer in those years , i agree ut99 sounds fit this flak like a glow!
                            Also love the spread on this "rebel" flak!

Comment

Originally posted by Wail View Post
                              Yeah, this is HUGE, for all the weapons - those sounds help set up the rhythm of firing that is such an important element to the feel of the game. The current sounds were created in somewhat of a vacuum, though, without weapon animations (or even new models), and the intent has always been to go back and revisit once the art was finalized.
                              Jim Brown
                              @EntropicDev
                              Epic Games

Comment

I think the hit sound effects are really important too. The sound it makes when flak hits something in UT99 is really satisfying. 8)

Comment

Working...
                                X