X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weapon Sound Design: Shock Rifle

Rev 06

Went in a little different direction. Less focus on the bass for impact, focused more on the higher frequencies. Added longer sustain resembling the UT99 shock rifle.
    Last edited by MaxCarnage; 04-11-2015, 07:31 PM. Reason: Revision

Nice.

I think the core sound might go too high.

I'd like some more bass behind the primary fire
    HABOUJI! Ouboudah! Batai d'va!
    BeyondUnreal - Liandri Archives [An extensive repository of Unreal lore.] - Join us on IRC [irc.utchat.com - #beyondunreal]

Comment

Sounds like sniper rifle, perfect for that weapon class Working futher might bring verry good results. The first thing we can hear is typical gunshot with reverb, definitely not desired direction for SR. Doesn't feel like shooting with energetic weapon. Try to get inspiration from previous UT games.

Comment

not bad.. maybe to much echo. keep up!

Comment

Sounds extend far too long. Try to cut the length down by a third and it might be good.

Edit: Sorry, I meant *to* 1/3.
          Last edited by HenrikRyosa; 11-19-2014, 11:25 AM.

UT4 modding discussion: irc.globalgamers.net #UTModders
          Contrib Digest | UT2341 - Henrik's UT4 Dev Blog | Twitter

Comment

I agree with Henrik's feedback here, they're too long, otherwise pretty nice.
            S l y .

Comment

The primary has a bit too much thunder & gun sound as opposed to a pulse kind of gun IMO. 2ndary and combo is slightly bit better but still not quite thaaat good.

Comment

Originally posted by MaxCarnage View Post
                Hey guys! I am tackling the Shock Rifle sound effects. So, here is the first rough pass of the Primary Fire, Secondary Fire and the Shock blast.

Primary, Secondary and Shock Blast. All three are downloadable files.

https://soundcloud.com/john-m-repka/...rev-01/s-ITZFC

Let me know what you guys think.
                1. The samples are too long. They have short attack and sustain phase, as needed, but long decay, which sounds (for the most of it) like a reverb tail. I think reverberation will be added by game's audio engine, depending on surroundings and occlusions, so it makes sense to make very dry samples, adding reverberation just for testing purpose. By the way, shock rifle primary or link gun's primary sounds in UT3 were too long also.
                2. The sound of s1 and s3 doesn't suit the futuristic weapon at all.
                3. I don't think SR secondary should be much longer than primary, since projectile has its own sound.
                4. I describe these sounds as sharp, harsh and twangy, which is something you'll be tired to hear often (that was a problem in UT3 in my opinion). I would prefer it to be smooth and springy.

Good example of all these points done right is quake's railgun - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h07hMlU3cM8 .

Originally posted by Sir_Brizz View Post
                Nice.

I think the core sound might go too high.

I'd like some more bass behind the primary fire
                We don't need low frequencies (<100Hz) everywhere. In fact, I think we don't need them at all, maybe except some vehicular weapons. UT3 was over the top with it. Never ending BOOMs from shock combos and trirox sounded like living hell. Hope the declared visual clarity will be accompanied by audio clarity too.

Comment

Originally posted by Bosch View Post
                  We don't need low frequencies (<100Hz) everywhere. In fact, I think we don't need them at all, maybe except some vehicular weapons. UT3 was over the top with it. Never ending BOOMs from shock combos and trirox sounded like living hell. Hope the declared visual clarity will be accompanied by audio clarity too.
                  The more shrill sounds are, the more ear-pain-inducing they are. So, while having too much bass is a bad thing, everything does need it's share of low frequency sound. Shock combo in UT3 was really good. Rockets didn't need as much.
                  HABOUJI! Ouboudah! Batai d'va!
                  BeyondUnreal - Liandri Archives [An extensive repository of Unreal lore.] - Join us on IRC [irc.utchat.com - #beyondunreal]

Comment

Excellent! Lots of great notes to work off of! Thank you guys. I do agree the tail is quite long. I do remember the original shock rifles do have long tails, but perhaps not that long. As far as bass everywhere, there will be frequencies below 100 Hz, that is where the impact (the feeling of impact) lies, but it is good to keep in mind to not over do it. Unreal I feel is about exaggeration and larger than life, so the sound should reflect that too. Also keep in mind that things sound can be adjusted once in the engine as well, so context can shape the sound beyond what you hear as a sample by itself.

Thank you guys so much! I appreciate it.

Comment

Yeah plus it's better to have all frequencies present in the source audio, since as you know you can't add back what wasn't there to begin with. better to EQ it in the engine.

UT4 modding discussion: irc.globalgamers.net #UTModders
                      Contrib Digest | UT2341 - Henrik's UT4 Dev Blog | Twitter

Comment

Shock Rifle... the holy grail of UT. Be ready for strong opinions on this one. As a general direction:

- The primary and combo sound very similar to one another, and too much like a lightning strike for my tastes.

- Maybe push the primary more towards a laser pulse, and the combo more like an explosion (I like to envision reverberations of space rather than the traditional reverberations of audio waves, and imagine how that might sound).

- The secondary fire will have a fire sound, and also an ambient sound that is attached to the ball, so the two don't necessarily need to be combined in one file.

- These are sounds that will be heard A LOT, so screeching/harsh audio will fatigue players and should probably be avoided.
                        Jim Brown
                        @EntropicDev
                        Epic Games

Comment

Oh man my sound was just wide open, it was like a huge explosion with some lightning effects. Nice try tho! This FX would fit more to a potentional new Lightning Gun.

But as Jim stated, avoid all these allround sound effects and keep it more like a laser beam effect, that should work.
                          | Designer | Copywriter | Writer | Editor | Soundtrack lover | Known as 7eVeN^ since UT'99!
                          Follow me at Twitter @Mcjansen

Comment

Not feeling it on any of these sounds. These are all too long and quite piercing. I'd prefer something more like the UT99 sound, which in my mind corresponds pretty well to the wave-like concussive blast of the beam (this is actually represented currently in the visual FX, which is nice).
                            Join Project: Open Tournament: Discord | YouTube

Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol

Comment

Sweet, good note guys. I will start a new. I should have a bit more time this week.

Comment

Working...
                              X