This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by iLikeTheUDK View Post
    Any other NI software you use, BTW? Alexander Brandon himself has recommended Absynth once.
    Right now I am using Massive for a lot of my synth needs, I heard absynth is pretty powerful as well but not as familiar with it myself. Honestly, any synth will work great if you know what features to use, there are so many out there.

Comment

Originally posted by Archer6621 View Post
      That's a bit of a vague statement, could you show some examples? You mean it should have less noise and more tone/thump at the beginning of the sound?

EDIT: Wail, how's this: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...primalt9v8.wav

Or this, (very subtle difference in thump): https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...imalt9v8v2.wav

I wanted to keep the sound a bit flowy, that's why I didn't go for a strong thump previously.
      I don't like that flangy sound near a bit after the initial shot. I think it would be great if it was removed.
      The new UT is coming along nicely...
      Maybe a new Unreal would be a good idea for Epic's next project? It's certainly somewhat overdue...

Comment

Hehe, I'm old school, still using good old Cool Edit Pro 2.1 for the sounds.

I don't like that flangy sound near a bit after the initial shot. I think it would be great if it was removed.
        I'll try to make a version without it tomorrow
        Music Concepts for UT4 (Soundcloud) || Thread || Website

IN-GAME NICKS: Avalanche / <--Archer-<<

Comment

Originally posted by Archer6621 View Post
          Hehe, I'm old school, still using good old Cool Edit Pro 2.1 for the sounds.
          Good ol' ProTools here (and Logic Pro!) but honestly, any tool is great if it fits your work style!

Comment

Originally posted by MaxCarnage View Post
            Good ol' ProTools here (and Logic Pro!) but honestly, any tool is great if it fits your work style!
            Can't disagree with that

@iLikeTheUDK, is this better? https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...primalt9v9.wav
            Music Concepts for UT4 (Soundcloud) || Thread || Website

IN-GAME NICKS: Avalanche / <--Archer-<<

Comment

Rev 04
              Latest sounds for Shock Rifle revised, ammo pickup sound, weapon pickup sound, raise and lower weapon sounds. What do you guys think?
              https://soundcloud.com/john-m-repka/...rev-03/s-YDGa7

There are three Primary fire mixes. All subtle changes, some have more impact than others. Just for variations.

Enjoy! Let me know what you guys think!

Comment

They sound pretty good to me, maybe if anything all the sounds are a little too similar.

Comment

Rev 04
                  Latest sounds for Shock Rifle revised, ammo pickup sound, weapon pickup sound, raise and lower weapon sounds. What do you guys think?
                  https://soundcloud.com/john-m-repka/...rev-03/s-YDGa7

There are three Primary fire mixes. All subtle changes, some have more impact than others. Just for variations.

Enjoy! Let me know what you guys think!
                  Mix02 was the best one, but still a bit too airy. WeaponPickup reminds me of Sonic. AmmoPickup has this kind of end reverb that bothers me, just a short click would've done it. WeaponRaise and Lower were both really good.
                  Soundcloud / Soundtracks Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Jo.7 View Post
                    Mix02 was the best one, but still a bit too airy.
                    By "airy" are you referring to the static tail after the initial impact of the gun firing?

WeaponPickup reminds me of Sonic.
                    I think I know which sound you are reacting to. Is it the tail where the pitch goes up a bit and it reminds of you of Sonic accelerating?

AmmoPickup has this kind of end reverb that bothers me, just a short click would've done it.
                    The reverb you are referring to is what was meant as a powering up sound after the clip was put into the gun (of course implied sound, since you don't actually see a reload animation.)
                    I would agree with you in regards to just adding a clicking sound except, I would like to incorporate a more audible cue to differentiate between what ammo the player just picked up. Perhaps the tail is too long? Or the pitch up sound needs to start sooner?

Thanks for the feedback!

Comment

The reverb you are referring to is what was meant as a powering up sound after the clip was put into the gun (of course implied sound, since you don't actually see a reload animation.)
                      I would agree with you in regards to just adding a clicking sound except, I would like to incorporate a more audible cue to differentiate between what ammo the player just picked up. Perhaps the tail is too long? Or the pitch up sound needs to start
                      One or more (if not simply all) of the sounds need to be lowered down in pitches, or at least thickened in its frequency range (thickened downwards, of course; it's mostly treble-y enough as it is), to get some more basses.
                      The new UT is coming along nicely...
                      Maybe a new Unreal would be a good idea for Epic's next project? It's certainly somewhat overdue...

Comment

@Jo.7: I reduced the tail a bit and accented the clicking sound by your recommendation. I do like that it is a bit tighter sounding.

One or more (if not simply all) of the sounds need to be lowered down in pitches, or at least thickened in its frequency range (thickened downwards, of course; it's mostly treble-y enough as it is), to get some more basses.
                        Ok, Challenge accepted! At first I was a bit unsure about lowering the pitch in fear of losing that crispness that will cut through game with all of the other sounds going on, but after toying around it a bit. I agree with you. It did sound pretty brittle. I didn't lower the pitch (I may save that for later.) but I did lower the higher frequencies and brought up the mid to lower frequency by EQing. I also added a bit more bottom end. I took away all of the older mixes to avoid clutter. Take a listen, it should be a bit beefier.

Rev 05
                        https://soundcloud.com/john-m-repka/sets/ut-shockrifle-shock-rifle-rev-03/s-YDGa7
                        Last edited by MaxCarnage; 01-20-2015, 03:29 AM.

Comment

Like the direction these are going, and rev 5 is definitely close. I'm making this thread official, and will start plugging the sounds into the game so we can do some tweaks in real time.
                          Last edited by Entropy; 04-02-2015, 09:16 AM.
                          Jim Brown
                          @EntropicDev
                          Epic Games

Comment

Hi

i also have created two possible sounds for the Shock's Primary fire that has a fast attack and a short delay and is a bit in upper frequencies.

https://soundcloud.com/silvennoinen/...ary-01/s-pBtBJ

https://soundcloud.com/silvennoinen/...ary-02/s-vxcPi

Please tell me your opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Sucker View Post
                              Hi

i also have created two possible sounds for the Shock's Primary fire that has a fast attack and a short delay and is a bit in upper frequencies.

https://soundcloud.com/silvennoinen/...ary-01/s-pBtBJ

https://soundcloud.com/silvennoinen/...ary-02/s-vxcPi

Please tell me your opinion.
                              The synth element is a good start. I would tackle the impact of the rifle next. I needs a blast, a bigger sound, an explosion of synth sounds (how you get there is up to you!). Lots of low booming frequencies and a sense of larger than life. I am biased towards my sound at the moment (since it's the only thing I have been listening to for the past few days) so I don't feel that it would be fair for me to give you specifics to make it sound like the sound I made (Variety is great!)

So, to recap. More layers, bigger booms, thicker sounds, more bass and think larger than life!

I hope this helps at least a little.

Comment

Yeah, after playing some rounds of UT4 i found it thin myself.
                                I'll come backto this tomorrow and add some big boom.

Comment

Working...
                                X