Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weapon Sound Design: Shock Rifle

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #76
    Originally posted by Wail View Post
    I still want more "Ooomph" to the Shock Beam sounds. Currently they just sound too smooth and lack the aggressive punch a weapon sound should have.
    I agree. While I like that it kinda sounds like a pew pew gun, id like a little more boom to that pew pew as well.

    Comment


      #77
      Yeah, I really don't like the way the shock primary sounds at the moment. It doesn't sound like a weapon, let alone a strong enough weapon to shoot instantly. It needs to be more impactful than it is at the moment.

      Comment


        #78
        Carnage, I beefed up your Shock sounds. Hope you don't mind. I've played the game for many hours, and the Shock Rifle always felt too light, as others have said.

        https://soundcloud.com/nicholas-dama...e-sound-design

        I think #5 is pretty close to what we're looking for. Let me know what you guys think.
        Last edited by Nick_D'Amato; 04-02-2015, 01:53 AM.
        Sound designer, composer, flash game dev, and Unreal mapper. My Soundcloud. My games.

        Comment


          #79
          Why do these sounds cut off like that? These long, quieter trails give the sounds a lot of impact and power, why get rid of them. I'm not even asking you necessarily - I'm also asking MaxCarnage.
          Last edited by iLikeTheUDK; 04-03-2015, 09:45 AM.
          The new UT is coming along nicely...
          Maybe a new Unreal would be a good idea for Epic's next project? It's certainly somewhat overdue...

          Comment


            #80
            Originally posted by iLikeTheUDK View Post
            Why do these sounds cut off like that? These long, quieter trails give the sounds a lot of impact and power, why get rid of them. I'm not even asking you necessarily - I'm also asking MaxCarnage.
            I think it's because the reverb is added dynamically in the game.

            By the way, 1-4 of those Shock sounds have a trigger pull a fraction of a second before the shot. That usually improves gunshot sounds, maybe it doesn't work for energy weapons. It would probably work for something more mechanical like the Link. Anyway, I took the trigger out for the 5th one, the first in the playlist. Just trying something new.
            Sound designer, composer, flash game dev, and Unreal mapper. My Soundcloud. My games.

            Comment


              #81
              Originally posted by Nick_D'Amato View Post
              Carnage, I beefed up your Shock sounds. Hope you don't mind. I've played the game for many hours, and the Shock Rifle always felt too light, as others have said.

              https://soundcloud.com/nicholas-dama...e-sound-design

              I think #5 is pretty close to what we're looking for. Let me know what you guys think.
              Wow! I really like the clear impact in the bass. I am not hearing much of a difference between all of them though. Are they all subtle things in the bass or did you work on the higher frequencies as well? Thank you for doing this! This is most encouraging for me. I was a little burnt out on the Shock Rifle, but I am glad someone with fresh ears and mindset is taking it on.

              Comment


                #82
                Having said that, do you guys think we should maybe focus on the higher frequencies rather than just the punch in the lower frequencies? I can't help but remember how much longer the tail in the older UT99 shock was. What do you guys think?

                Comment


                  #83
                  Thanks, glad you like them.

                  I layered your two of your shots and pitched one of them down. I added gunshots to the mix and used an EQ to increase the punchiness. There's not much difference between the different versions, I mostly just adjusted the volumes of the samples and tweaked the pitches slightly. Version 5 has a different gun sound in it, it was from that 10GB sound pack. Like I said before, sounds 1-4 have a trigger pull sound. I'd have to try it out in the game to see if it works. For firearms it feels really good, but I don't think the Shock Rifle should sound too mechanical.

                  With a little dynamic reverb, I think the sound length is good as it is. I prefer short weapon shot sounds as opposed to long, drawn-out ones. I find short, punchy gunshots are the most satisfying, especially for smaller, semi-auto weapons. Otherwise they feel too clunky. Not that the Shock is small, but it's not as big as the Rocket or Sniper. But that's just my preference.
                  Sound designer, composer, flash game dev, and Unreal mapper. My Soundcloud. My games.

                  Comment


                    #84
                    Originally posted by Nick_D'Amato View Post
                    Thanks, glad you like them.

                    I layered your two of your shots and pitched one of them down. I added gunshots to the mix and used an EQ to increase the punchiness. There's not much difference between the different versions, I mostly just adjusted the volumes of the samples and tweaked the pitches slightly. Version 5 has a different gun sound in it, it was from that 10GB sound pack. Like I said before, sounds 1-4 have a trigger pull sound. I'd have to try it out in the game to see if it works. For firearms it feels really good, but I don't think the Shock Rifle should sound too mechanical.

                    With a little dynamic reverb, I think the sound length is good as it is. I prefer short weapon shot sounds as opposed to long, drawn-out ones. I find short, punchy gunshots are the most satisfying, especially for smaller, semi-auto weapons. Otherwise they feel too clunky. Not that the Shock is small, but it's not as big as the Rocket or Sniper. But that's just my preference.
                    Rev06

                    Oh dang. I may have read this too late. I revised version and it has a longer tail and the punch is focused more on the higher frequencies rather than all in the bass like in the previous version. It reminds me more of the UT99 Shock Rifle. Judging by your last comment, it may not be to your liking. Also in the Unreal Editor, there are two explosion layers being played along with the Shock firing sound. One of them does linger a bit longer (at least I hear it in the sub.) I am wondering now too if the sub hit from the previous version was muddied up by two files with sub frequencies playing at the same time. This time around I am letting the explosion layer have most of the sub info and lessened the sub frequency on the primary fire file. I understand that not everyone is going to be playing with a sub woofer. The impact should translate without or without having bass.

                    Comment


                      #85
                      No worries, it's just an opinion.

                      I still feel like there's not enough to it. It sounds like air, like room tone with reverb. I think it definitely needs a punch in the lower frequencies.

                      I'd like something like this: https://youtu.be/HDrRpYAD1r4?t=17m54s

                      It just feels so satisfying.
                      Last edited by Nick_D'Amato; 04-12-2015, 05:25 AM.
                      Sound designer, composer, flash game dev, and Unreal mapper. My Soundcloud. My games.

                      Comment


                        #86
                        Not enough high frequencies IMO. Maybe it's because YT compressed it, though.
                        The new UT is coming along nicely...
                        Maybe a new Unreal would be a good idea for Epic's next project? It's certainly somewhat overdue...

                        Comment


                          #87
                          imho, shock needs complete new sounds, this one is same as ut3 shock

                          Comment


                            #88
                            Originally posted by iLikeTheUDK View Post
                            Not enough high frequencies IMO. Maybe it's because YT compressed it, though.
                            Could be, I was warned against having too much high frequency (shrillness) in fear of ear fatigue, but perhaps there is a middle ground.

                            Comment


                              #89
                              Originally posted by artuur View Post
                              imho, shock needs complete new sounds, this one is same as ut3 shock
                              A complete new sound eh? I may explore that idea after I do some other sounds first.

                              Comment


                                #90
                                Carnage, have you seen the new Battlefront 3 trailer yet? Check out the blaster sound design. They used the original Star Wars sounds but made them more punchy. The walker cannons are especially awesome (0:44) (1:09).

                                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFtAdOTFSw0
                                Sound designer, composer, flash game dev, and Unreal mapper. My Soundcloud. My games.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X