This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nick_D'Amato View Post
    Carnage, have you seen the new Battlefront 3 trailer yet? Check out the blaster sound design. They used the original Star Wars sounds but made them more punchy. The walker cannons are especially awesome (0:44) (1:09).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFtAdOTFSw0
    Dang, not going to lie, it sounds amazing! I see what you mean about the short but punchy hit. Hmmmmm.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick_D'Amato View Post
      I still feel like there's not enough to it. It sounds like air, like room tone with reverb. I think it definitely needs a punch in the lower frequencies.
      Completely agree on the airiness, feels kind of sloppy and un-powerful.
      Soundcloud / Soundtracks Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Jo.7 View Post
        Completely agree on the airiness, feels kind of sloppy and un-powerful.
        After listening to it with some "relatively" fresh ears, I think I understand what you guys mean. The low end is more of a "Roar" than a definitive impact or a blast like in the video Nick_D'Amato linked. Great reference guys Thanks!

Comment

Well MaxCarnage, i added some treble ala Skywalker Sound (i'm also a huge fan of their work, they are mainly my inspiration for every composition) as Nick_D'Amato suggested, heres my result:

Edit: I did all the 3 sounds for the Shock Rifle, including the Combo Explosion sound

Comment

Originally posted by Revilution View Post
            Well MaxCarnage, i added some treble ala Skywalker Sound (i'm also a huge fan of their work, they are mainly my inspiration for every composition) as Nick_D'Amato suggested, heres my result:

Edit: I did all the 3 sounds for the Shock Rifle, including the Combo Explosion sound

I think these are real improvements. Feels tighter, and definitely heading in the right direction.

(1) I wouldn't mind a slightly 'heavier' or 'stronger' sounding effect for the primary fire. It sounds like a blaster pistol, not a rifle shot.
            (2) The core sound has a bit of a 'sour' sound. I don't know how enough to describe more, but I think people will not care for that aspect of the sound and it needs more iteration.
            Join Project: Open Tournament: OpenTournamentGame.com | Project Trello | Discord | YouTube

Subscribe to /r/UnrealSeries - The subreddit for free & uncensored discussion of Unreal series games!

Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol

Comment

IMO the shock core firing sound sounds to me somewhat too mechanical. Like a vehicle of some sort.
              The new UT is coming along nicely...
              Maybe a new Unreal would be a good idea for Epic's next project? It's certainly somewhat overdue...

Comment

Alright, attempt 2.

I made the sound more whippy and removed the flangered echo from secondary fire.

Comment

I think you should make several different renders of the sounds, at least primary fire, because the pitch randomization algorithm of UE4 just sounds poor on it (you can really notice the simple granular pitch-shifting).
                  Maybe a new Unreal would be a good idea for Epic's next project? It's certainly somewhat overdue...

Comment

Shock core sounds so sweet!

Polish community DISCORD server: https://discord.gg/eMRKbAg Join us if you are Polish and let's play some 4v4

Comment

Alright, attempt 2.

I made the sound more whippy and removed the flangered echo from secondary fire.
                      That secondary doesn't do anything for me. It is a complete mismatch between the size and damaging potential of the core and the small and insignificant feeling the sound conveys.
                      Join Project: Open Tournament: OpenTournamentGame.com | Project Trello | Discord | YouTube

Subscribe to /r/UnrealSeries - The subreddit for free & uncensored discussion of Unreal series games!

Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol

Comment

Originally posted by iLikeTheUDK View Post
                        I think you should make several different renders of the sounds, at least primary fire, because the pitch randomization algorithm of UE4 just sounds poor on it (you can really notice the simple granular pitch-shifting).
                        It is intentional, i made the sound with the intention of being controlled by the pitch node, however i set the pitch shift range too high, lowering should do the trick.

Originally posted by Wail View Post
                        That secondary doesn't do anything for me. It is a complete mismatch between the size and damaging potential of the core and the small and insignificant feeling the sound conveys.
                        Hmm right, there are any examples of what the secondary fire could sound good to you? (and anyone who imagines it of course)

For me, this one is my very first test yet but too, i don't think making the shock core firing sound so whip as the primary would give any attraction to it, considering it's a Rifle of energy.

Comment

The formats don't stay the same as the pitch changes, it sounds too simple and cheap. It sounds like you're playing the sound on some old tracker software like they made the music on for U1 and UT99. IMO it'd be best if you make several different renders instead of modulate a single sound in-engine.
                          I think the issue with the alt fire sound is that it's too gentle. It doesn't have a lot of punch, or aggression, or anything that could show how much damage it can do. It sounds weak, underwhelming. Make it sound like more of a threat. Make it sound more like some chunk of energy that if you come into contact with it, it'll be nasty.

Comment

It is intentional, i made the sound with the intention of being controlled by the pitch node, however i set the pitch shift range too high, lowering should do the trick.

Hmm right, there are any examples of what the secondary fire could sound good to you? (and anyone who imagines it of course)

For me, this one is my very first test yet but too, i don't think making the shock core firing sound so whip as the primary would give any attraction to it, considering it's a Rifle of energy.
                            In terms of sound effects, my vocabulary to describe what I like is quite limited. I would just refer you to sounds that have been used previously:

I think UT3's sounds were quite good.

UT99's sounds for the Shock Rifle were also good. UT2003's were awful, and UT2004's primary was alright (but secondary was rather poor).

Comment

The primary fire is a huge improvement, nice job.
                              Sound designer, composer, flash game dev, and Unreal mapper. My Soundcloud. My games.

Comment

Got to love Skywalker sounds! Yeah, they sound great. I like the approach you did with the shock ball. It reminds me a bit of UT 99's shock ball whine, but more updated. I actually really like how clean it sounds, both the primary and secondary fire. Now I want to hear a bigger shock core explosion!

Comment

Working...
                                X