Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weapon Sound Design: Armor Pickups

REV 02

Revised the sound to include more of a "wearing" sound and some electronic elements to them. Let me know what you guys think. Also extended the Shield Belt sound to match the older one.
    Last edited by MaxCarnage; 04-09-2015, 04:25 PM.

The helmet, pads and chest all sound fine to me, but yes as you said, the sheild belt isn't there yet. Not being a sound guy myself, or having any idea about any of it, all I can really say is that to me it lacks 'oomf'. Like there's no power in the powerup.

Comment

Yeah, I will revisit the shield belt some more with the "Oomf." Thanks for the feedback!

Comment

I think one thing you're doing wrong with the shield belt SFX is making it fade out at the end.

For the armor pieces it is understandable since the sound they produce generally comes from reverb/echo (especially at the end), but for the shield belt sound it is basically a power-up sound, so it should not fade to zero the way reverb/echo does. I think the delay between the first "click" and the power-up sound could be reduced too (still talking about shield belt SFX).

I think the armor vest sounds a bit too clanky, it has too much tone I think (as if something big and metal with moving parts was thrown at something), helmet sound too much like what you hear at a blacksmith or something metallic falling on the ground, but the thigh pad sound is pretty much perfect in my opinion.

I think for the other armor sounds (vest/helmet) you need to make it sound more as if the player is putting them on somehow, and reduce the sharpness of the metal clanking.

But that's all just what I think
        Music Concepts for UT4 (Soundcloud) || Thread || Website

IN-GAME NICKS: Avalanche / <--Archer-<<

Comment

Shield Belt: Too long, charging effect on the sound here lengthens it too much so it becomes disconnected from the pickup event.

Vest: Sounds like a clang of a narrow metal bar or something. It's too high pitched, not short & punchy enough. I would also encourage incorporating some fabric-like sounds too. Modern kevlar armor isn't going to make clangs like a suit of empty plate mail.
          Helmet: Same issues as above, this sound doesn't even really give me the impression of donning a helmet at all. (Getting that right is tricky, I know.)
          Thigh: This one is the closest to feeling right, probably because the metallic pitch is lower and sounds a little muffled. I would still experiment with some more fabric / organic sounds here, and reduce the influence of the metallic clanking. I wouldn't be afraid to experiment with some more synthesized game-y sounds either. This is a game and a sci-fi game to boot. You've got the right idea with making armor have pretty strong metallic vibe, but you can improve these sounds by making them punchier & more multilayered.
          Join Project: Open Tournament: Discord | YouTube

Subscribe to /r/UnrealSeries - The subreddit for free & uncensored discussion of Unreal series games!

Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol

Comment

Originally posted by Archer6621 View Post
            I think one thing you're doing wrong with the shield belt SFX is making it fade out at the end.

For the armor pieces it is understandable since the sound they produce generally comes from reverb/echo (especially at the end), but for the shield belt sound it is basically a power-up sound, so it should not fade to zero the way reverb/echo does. I think the delay between the first "click" and the power-up sound could be reduced too (still talking about shield belt SFX).

I think the armor vest sounds a bit too clanky, it has too much tone I think (as if something big and metal with moving parts was thrown at something), helmet sound too much like what you hear at a blacksmith or something metallic falling on the ground, but the thigh pad sound is pretty much perfect in my opinion.

I think for the other armor sounds (vest/helmet) you need to make it sound more as if the player is putting them on somehow, and reduce the sharpness of the metal clanking.

But that's all just what I think

Good call, the clanky armor maybe an outdated concept. I am hoping for someone to design some futuristic looking armor to fit the style. The current place holder does resemble the clanky armor.

I will also keep working on the Shield belt. Thanks for the input!

Comment

Originally posted by Wail View Post
              Shield Belt: Too long, charging effect on the sound here lengthens it too much so it becomes disconnected from the pickup event.

Vest: Sounds like a clang of a narrow metal bar or something. It's too high pitched, not short & punchy enough. I would also encourage incorporating some fabric-like sounds too. Modern kevlar armor isn't going to make clangs like a suit of empty plate mail.
              Helmet: Same issues as above, this sound doesn't even really give me the impression of donning a helmet at all. (Getting that right is tricky, I know.)
              Thigh: This one is the closest to feeling right, probably because the metallic pitch is lower and sounds a little muffled. I would still experiment with some more fabric / organic sounds here, and reduce the influence of the metallic clanking. I wouldn't be afraid to experiment with some more synthesized game-y sounds either. This is a game and a sci-fi game to boot. You've got the right idea with making armor have pretty strong metallic vibe, but you can improve these sounds by making them punchier & more multilayered.
              More cloth and less and lower pitched clanks got it. Yeah, very similar to Archer's comment. Thanks for listening!

Comment

i want a son of yours...

is amazing!
                unrealer since 1998

Comment

Originally posted by Tirias View Post
                  i want a son of yours...

is amazing!
                  Haha, I will take that as a compliment. Thanks!

Comment

REV 02

Revised the sound to include more of a "wearing" sound and some electronic elements to them. Let me know what you guys think. Also extended the Shield Belt sound to match the older one.

Comment

yes its not Bad Idea MaxCarnage i hope this com in the Game

Comment

I feel like the Thighpads and Helmet should be swapped but other than that they are very nice. The Shield is a bit long for my taste though.
                        Sound designer, composer, flash game dev, and Unreal mapper. My Soundcloud. My games.

Comment

Latest ones sound great, but I have to agree that the belt sound is way too long. I like the effect on the big armor at the end
                          Music Concepts for UT4 (Soundcloud) || Thread || Website

IN-GAME NICKS: Avalanche / <--Archer-<<

Comment

Originally posted by Nick_D'Amato View Post
                            I feel like the Thighpads and Helmet should be swapped but other than that they are very nice. The Shield is a bit long for my taste though.
                            Interesting, I kinda figured the Helmet would have some electronic components (HUD power up sound and whatnot) where as the Thighpads would be void of any electronic components. But I can swap it and see how it sounds. Thanks for the feedback bud!

Comment

Originally posted by Archer6621 View Post
                              Latest ones sound great, but I have to agree that the belt sound is way too long. I like the effect on the big armor at the end
                              Yeah, I do feel the same about the shield belt. The previous (UT3) Shield Belt had a long tail as well, (it was more of a lingering hissing sound, which may not have been as noticeable as the one I made.) I can certainly shorten it. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X