Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MIni-Gun sounds awful

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    MIni-Gun sounds awful

    The sounds for the mini-gun have been on a downhill trend since UT2003. UT99 still has the best minigun sound FX. why not build off from that?
    Why is there icicles on the mini-gun secondary fire?

    Honestly, I would just like a version of UT99 with new graphics engine sometimes... It was like playing FPS Mortal Kombat, very intense. all that is gone now.

    #2
    It's just currently using UT3 placeholder and UT3's stinger simply fires ice. Primary fire is also firing very small ice shards or fragments, it's not just 2ndary which fires ice, it's just a design choice of UT3. Maybe it will change, maybe not. Ice shards have the benefits of being easier to come up with "believeable" additional mechanics (ice getting stuck in the wall etc).

    I agree the sound is awful though and my least preferred weapon sound in UT3 simply because it feels/sounds so weak.
    Last edited by RPGWiZ4RD; 06-09-2015, 07:34 AM.

    Comment


      #3
      I'd be happy to find back a real sound for the minigun... a few leads maybe ?

      A good suggestion

      This one sounds really nice hahahahhahahaaha, we need that in the game !!! Watch at 1 minute


      Other samples and ideas

      Some samples, I like the second one:


      In this one, the way the sound actually saturates is really nice:


      The stopping sound could be really loud and like this:
      RASTE IN PEACE !
      Maps: DM-Hydraulics | DM-Affliction
      Weapon: Redeemer

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by enhder View Post
        The sounds for the mini-gun have been on a downhill trend since UT2003. UT99 still has the best minigun sound FX. why not build off from that?
        Why is there icicles on the mini-gun secondary fire?

        Honestly, I would just like a version of UT99 with new graphics engine sometimes... It was like playing FPS Mortal Kombat, very intense. all that is gone now.
        I agree, UT 99's minigun has the best sound and firemodes so far, althoguh I found this sound doing a little research, it's not so bad

        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6F0DXFmYtFo
        MY VOICE DEMOS POST|| MY SOUNDCLOUD

        Comment


          #5
          We have to take several things into account while thinking about this gun. This is not a regular rifle or one shot gun. We are talking about a machine gun. A very fast one, so we have to think about:

          - Moving parts: The Minigun is not a regular machine gun. It's a death machine with a rotary barrel and a very sophisticated internal mechanism that makes A LOT of noise. We're in the 23/23th-ish century, so we can abuse pneumatic and hydraulic machine sounds. Five instances at least must be created imho: deploy, wind up, continuous firing, wind down and alternate fire.

          - VERY fast rate of firing: We are talking about 1200 rpm and above. There's a difference in sound to other regular automatic weapons. The more revolutions or instance of the sound played, the more the sound will get closer to a continuous buzz, so we need to take the rate of fire into account.

          - What the gun is firing: Are we sticking with UT3 Tarydium crystals or are we going back to bullets like the ol' UT99? There's probably going to be a difference between a regular bullet crack to a shard of highly unstable crystal flying at Mach 3 kissing your ears.

          - Alternate firing mode: Big shards of Tarydium or hell unleashed in the form of a higher rate of fire?

          I've been a bit busy and couldn't lurk these threads for a while.
          Olá!
          Take a look (listen) at my Portfolio!
          https://soundcloud.com/illya_benkard/sets/portfolio
          ________________________________________________

          Audiophile and cinematophile...this is me

          Comment


            #6
            Well since you haven't been on the forums in awhile I'll fill you in on a little tidbit. Judging from the posts from Epic devs they are going back to minigun and ditching the stinger and tarydium shards. I'm not 100% positive but thats what it sounds like.

            You're right that a weapon that spins at that RPM has a constant whine or buzz, but that doesn't necessarily make for a cool sound, you still want to hear the bullets firing. Just like other areas of game design sometimes you have to sacrifice realism for fun. The weapon sounds posted above of real life mini-guns do not sound as cool as the one posted in the Expendables movie which isn't really realistic but sounds way better.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by nes710 View Post
              Well since you haven't been on the forums in awhile I'll fill you in on a little tidbit. Judging from the posts from Epic devs they are going back to minigun and ditching the stinger and tarydium shards. I'm not 100% positive but thats what it sounds like.

              You're right that a weapon that spins at that RPM has a constant whine or buzz, but that doesn't necessarily make for a cool sound, you still want to hear the bullets firing. Just like other areas of game design sometimes you have to sacrifice realism for fun. The weapon sounds posted above of real life mini-guns do not sound as cool as the one posted in the Expendables movie which isn't really realistic but sounds way better.
              This is the line we need to keep in mind realism / fun. And that's GREAT NEWS since they are finally scrapping that crystal atrocity (thank goodness)! Now we can get closer to the real thing without sacrificing some of the fun. The Minigun in UT won't fire like a real one as far as I know, so the rate of fire would be something around 1200 rpm, which is fast enough. The only thing I can think about is a MG42 on steroids.



              And for some nostalgia...



              A "mix" between the MG42 and the UT99 minigun would be nice, in my opinion. I don't know how we are regarding supersonic bullet cracks. Are they happening or not? (sucks not to have a video card to play the alpha )
              Olá!
              Take a look (listen) at my Portfolio!
              https://soundcloud.com/illya_benkard/sets/portfolio
              ________________________________________________

              Audiophile and cinematophile...this is me

              Comment


                #8
                Is it just me, or are amlost all weapon sounds seriously bad? Mini, flak and shock being the worst of them?

                Comment


                  #9
                  Most of the sounds in the game are placeholders from ut3 like someone mentioned earlier. We should judge when normal sounds arrive.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by Spector CZ View Post
                    Is it just me, or are amlost all weapon sounds seriously bad? Mini, flak and shock being the worst of them?
                    The mini is still from UT3 but, flak and shock are new sounds. Care to elaborate on what makes them seriously bad? They are not final sounds by any means but I would love to hear some feedback On them.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by MaxCarnage View Post
                      The mini is still from UT3 but, flak and shock are new sounds. Care to elaborate on what makes them seriously bad? They are not final sounds by any means but I would love to hear some feedback On them.
                      Okay, here's the feedback:

                      Flak - the "pop" sound is just like I would open a sealed jar. It does not sound dangerous and (this may sound harsh) it makes me laugh every time I hear it. Also there's no hydraulics in the sound. The UT99 sund was almost perfect, what we have now is way overcomplicated unrecongnizable mess, with jar opening secondary. What I would like to hear is a little explosion and then a "hisss" sound of the shell coming out of the barrel. For the primary, just an agressive explosion of the shell in in the gun itself. Both acompanied with hydraulic sound of reloading.

                      Shock - the "pip" sound of B grade old school sci-fi stuff seems out of place. This is plasma what we're dealing with. It's basically a lighting bolt, so it shoud be instant, air penetrating distorted sound, with massive combo impact, just like a lighting would hit right next to where you stand. There is no place for a pc-like sound.

                      Now I have to add link as well... what is a perfect link/plasma sound? Quake 3: A. UT2004 came close to that. Maybe take some inspiration from those? Basy, kinda "moist" and warm sounds, which make it seem like it will melt your face.
                      Last edited by Spector CZ; 01-23-2017, 06:01 PM.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by MaxCarnage View Post
                        The mini is still from UT3 but, flak and shock are new sounds. Care to elaborate on what makes them seriously bad? They are not final sounds by any means but I would love to hear some feedback On them.
                        Originally posted by MaxCarnage View Post
                        The mini is still from UT3 but, flak and shock are new sounds. Care to elaborate on what makes them seriously bad? They are not final sounds by any means but I would love to hear some feedback On them.
                        Well I think that I'll have to be the nitpicky ******* here haha

                        Just kidding. The line between fun vs realism is quite well defined in my opinion. You have the real thing vs something comprehensible that will fit that moment or game. If we were to put it simply, the guns don't sound threatening enough. Have you guys listened to the heart-pumping sound of an artillery barrage firing? Or a continuous burst of a M249? I did and it's something to make your ears tingle for a long time it can even get you deaf momentarily, but I know we can't simulate it in a game, otherwise every enforcer round would make you jump from the chair or get your tinnitus ringing.

                        Regarding these two weapons, they don't sound loud or menacing enough, if I'm not missing the point of everyone in this thread. Of course the sound has to receive some treatment to avoid clipping and stuff, but the guns have gotten a "Hollywoodian" approach to them that worked for some, but not for others. They don't seem to simulate a somewhat physically correct sound model. As for the Minigun there was some good improvement as far as I could see, but there's still a long way to go. UT's Minigun has say 1200 RPM? All I could think about was a MG42, as mentioned above, but with the rotary engine layers and hydropneumatic stuff to make it sound futuristic. I think that you people should put more effort into supersonic bullet cracks. Think of a mix of this...



                        with this...

                        Warning...LOUD!




                        It would be extremely unsetlling and scary to have such bullet cracks ravaging close to your face during a deathmatch. It would definetly create a better sense of immersion in the game.

                        As for the Flak Cannon, how about a shotgun with some shrapnel whizzing. The shards are moving in subsonic speed but they're up to no good, so it would be something like this...



                        This was done in a rush, but I'll surely do a more detailed essay on this.
                        Olá!
                        Take a look (listen) at my Portfolio!
                        https://soundcloud.com/illya_benkard/sets/portfolio
                        ________________________________________________

                        Audiophile and cinematophile...this is me

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by Spector CZ View Post
                          Okay, here's the feedback:

                          Flak - the "pop" sound is just like I would open a sealed jar. It does not sound dangerous and (this may sound harsh) it makes me laugh every time I hear it. Also there's no hydroulics in the sound. The UT99 sund was almost perfect, what we have now is way overcomplicated unrecongnizable mess, with jar opening secondary. What I would like to hear is a little explosion and then a "hisss" sound of the shell coming out of the barrel. For the primary, just an agressive explosion of the shell in in the gun itself. Both acompanied with hydroulic sound of reloading.

                          Shock - the "pip" sound of B grade old school sci-fi stuff seems out of place. This is plasma what we're dealing with. It's basically a lighting bolt, so it shoud be instant, air penetrating distorted sound, with massive combo impact, just like a lighting would hit right next to where you stand. There is no place for a pc-like sound.

                          Now I have to add link as well... what is a perfect link/plasma sound? Quake 3: A. UT2004 came close to that. Maybe take some inspiration from those? Basy, kinda "moist" and warm sounds, which make it seem like it will melt your face.
                          Thanks for taking the time for typing these out. I appreciate it.

                          Flak: I agree, I miss the hydraulic sounds of the reload and the chunkiness as well. I am a big fan of the UT99 flak sound, there can be more to be explored there.

                          Shock: Not sure what the "Pip" sound you are referring to, is this the secondary fire shock combo ready blip sound? Or was it something in the primary fire sound reload ramp up sound?

                          Link: I had a version that was more liquified sound more "wet" as it were. I would like to explore more on that later on. I like the punch of the UT2004 link gun, but tbh not a huge fan of the Quake3 plasma sound. Leaning a bit more towards the DooM (the new one) plasma rifle. More exploration is needed for sure.

                          You are the third person to mention that the weapons don't sound as menacing and that certainly would be a problem since it's UT after all. I can't say that I will be working on this right at this moment: got a few other things going on, but I will be doing some more brainstorming for sure. More experimentation abound! Thanks again for the reply.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by Illya Benkard View Post
                            Well I think that I'll have to be the nitpicky ******* here haha

                            Just kidding. The line between fun vs realism is quite well defined in my opinion. You have the real thing vs something comprehensible that will fit that moment or game. If we were to put it simply, the guns don't sound threatening enough. Have you guys listened to the heart-pumping sound of an artillery barrage firing? Or a continuous burst of a M249? I did and it's something to make your ears tingle for a long time it can even get you deaf momentarily, but I know we can't simulate it in a game, otherwise every enforcer round would make you jump from the chair or get your tinnitus ringing.

                            Regarding these two weapons, they don't sound loud or menacing enough, if I'm not missing the point of everyone in this thread. Of course the sound has to receive some treatment to avoid clipping and stuff, but the guns have gotten a "Hollywoodian" approach to them that worked for some, but not for others. They don't seem to simulate a somewhat physically correct sound model. As for the Minigun there was some good improvement as far as I could see, but there's still a long way to go. UT's Minigun has say 1200 RPM? All I could think about was a MG42, as mentioned above, but with the rotary engine layers and hydropneumatic stuff to make it sound futuristic. I think that you people should put more effort into supersonic bullet cracks. Think of a mix of this...



                            with this...

                            Warning...LOUD!




                            It would be extremely unsetlling and scary to have such bullet cracks ravaging close to your face during a deathmatch. It would definetly create a better sense of immersion in the game.

                            As for the Flak Cannon, how about a shotgun with some shrapnel whizzing. The shards are moving in subsonic speed but they're up to no good, so it would be something like this...



                            This was done in a rush, but I'll surely do a more detailed essay on this.
                            Hey, thanks for the vid links and the write up. I do have to say I would rather go more in a "unreal" direction for sounds. Not saying your ideas are not valid, I have been generally trying to go in a more fantastical direction. But I agree, it's got to have impact, and menacing. I will keep experimenting.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by MaxCarnage View Post
                              Shock: Not sure what the "Pip" sound you are referring to, is this the secondary fire shock combo ready blip sound?
                              Exactly this. I actually did not know, that it means the combo is "ready". It just doesn't fit at all IMO.
                              Last edited by Spector CZ; 01-23-2017, 06:21 PM.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X