Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weapon Sound Design: Link Gun (MaxCarnage)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weapon Sound Design: Link Gun (MaxCarnage)

REVISION 03
    I tightened up the bass and modified the primary fire sound a little bit (mainly some frequency carving so the bass is not overwhelming.) I also created two new weapon raise and lower cues. I focused on creating a rhythm as the weapon is raised, a bit more focused of a sound than the last versions.

(Rev03a)

(Rev03b)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    REVISION 02
    ​With some feed back I took out the sizzle and beefed up the raising weapon sound and tweeted the lower weapon sound as well. I originally created some Link Gun projectile impact sounds (the impact sounds as the balls hits various surfaces.) But Ended up mixing that sound in with the primary fire sound. I did this in the engine which you will see in the video. I think it added a nice bit of texture to it. For a mono version click here.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    REVISION 01

I beefed up the primary fire and added some sizzle to it. I also shortened the weapon raise sound to better match the current weapon switch speed (subject to change when weapon speed changes in the future.)

Hey Guys, started to do some work on the Primary fire, weapon raise and lower sounds for the Link Gun. It is in it's early stages, and it may sound a bit plain with little things happening in the higher frequencies it sounds good to me when it is firing constantly. What do you guys think?

Special shout out to Av3nger and his work on the Link Secondary Fire. Check his thread out!
    https://forums.unrealtournament.com/...un-(Pulse-Gun)
    Last edited by MaxCarnage; 10-05-2015, 06:05 PM.

sounds awesome to me!
    Shoutcaster/Commentator
    Progamer for Team-dignitas
    10 years worth of e-sports experience
    Twitch.TV | YouTube | Twitter

Comment

I agree. Good stuff MaxCarnage

Comment

REVISION 01
        I beefed up the primary fire and added some sizzle to it. I also shortened the weapon raise sound to better match the current weapon switch speed (subject to change when weapon speed changes in the future.)

Comment

Weapon raise/away sounds great. Love the beefy sound of the Rev 01 primary. My only critique would be to bring up the "space gun" sound a bit more. In rapid fire it seems to lean more towards a conventional weapon sound. Great start!
          Unreal Carnage.com UT4 Maps: DM-Maelstrom DM-SpaceNoxx

Comment

Comments:

[Original video]

Bring Up Sound: Too high pitched, but I do like the feel that there's a turbine spinning up a bit when you bring the weapon up. I feel like this should be more like a lawnmower motor cranking up with a small influence of techno-whizbang sound, rather than what you've got going on.

Fire Sound: Overall I think this is pretty good as a base, the sound is relatively meaty but it's not overwhelming when fired at full speed. There's still a bit lacking here -- It might be the lack of a satisfying hit sound.

[Rev 01 video]

Bring Up Sound: Not really buying it. The sound is still too high pitched, and the spinning up bit I liked is less prominent. Neither are really matching up with the chunkiness of the model.

Fire Sound: This is a step back. Sizzle sounds are overwhelming, so the whole thing strikes me as spitting out balls of gas rather than powerful plasma bolts.
            Join Project: Open Tournament: OpenTournamentGame.com | Project Trello | Discord | YouTube

Subscribe to /r/UnrealSeries - The subreddit for free & uncensored discussion of Unreal series games!

Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol

Comment

Originally posted by M^uL View Post
              Weapon raise/away sounds great. Love the beefy sound of the Rev 01 primary. My only critique would be to bring up the "space gun" sound a bit more. In rapid fire it seems to lean more towards a conventional weapon sound. Great start!
              Ah yeah, good point. I love the "jub jub jub" sounds it makes when rapid fire but it does resemble a conventional machine gun.

Comment

Originally posted by Wail View Post
                Comments:

[Original video]

Bring Up Sound: Too high pitched, but I do like the feel that there's a turbine spinning up a bit when you bring the weapon up. I feel like this should be more like a lawnmower motor cranking up with a small influence of techno-whizbang sound, rather than what you've got going on.

Fire Sound: Overall I think this is pretty good as a base, the sound is relatively meaty but it's not overwhelming when fired at full speed. There's still a bit lacking here -- It might be the lack of a satisfying hit sound.

[Rev 01 video]

Bring Up Sound: Not really buying it. The sound is still too high pitched, and the spinning up bit I liked is less prominent. Neither are really matching up with the chunkiness of the model.

Fire Sound: This is a step back. Sizzle sounds are overwhelming, so the whole thing strikes me as spitting out balls of gas rather than powerful plasma bolts.
                Thans for the great feedback Wail! I was hoping the sizzle sounds would add to a more "plasma" type weapon, but perhaps the better approach is the more impact full rounded sounds? As for the Bring Up sound, I did take out the "power up" whirrr because I felt that it ran a bit too long once the weapon was out. Perhaps I should explore a bit more on that concept. I do like your idea of a lawn mower motor cranking up (I had an imagine of a chain saw cranking sound as well).

Great stuff guys! Thank you.

Comment

Can you tell me what VST or Hardware synth are you using for this? I find it hard to make sounds like this, would love if you make tutorial of making one of sounds.

Comment

Originally posted by bass3 View Post
                    Can you tell me what VST or Hardware synth are you using for this? I find it hard to make sounds like this, would love if you make tutorial of making one of sounds.
                    For the Link Gun I used Massive by Native Instrument. I used that to create a lot of the layers in the Shock Rifle as well. In a nut shell, I take a synth and modulate the pitch of the synth voice to modulate downwards using the envelope and adjust the envelope so that it makes that "pew" sounds. Then I mess around with the settings and make a whole bunch of them using different synth waves and modulation amounts and such. Then I play them on my musical keyboard mashing various keys different ways to see what kind of sounds I can make. I print them out of Logic and then import them into ProTools only to cut them up, or pair different sounds together and then see what works and what doesn't. Rinse an repeat. I feel that this can be applied to many other synths as well.

Sorry for having such vague explanation. I would be happy to send you some pictures from my settings at Massive if you'd like.

Comment

REVISION 02
                      ​With some feed back I took out the sizzle and beefed up the raising weapon sound and tweeted the lower weapon sound as well. I originally created some Link Gun projectile impact sounds (the impact sounds as the balls hits various surfaces.) But Ended up mixing that sound in with the primary fire sound. I did this in the engine which you will see in the video. I think it added a nice bit of texture to it.

Comment

No need I don't have money for massive atm. I am just suprised by quality of sounds you have made! They sound very futuristic and awesome!

Comment

Very nice so far.
                          I would make the raise weapon "high pitch" sound not as long, either fade it sooner or make it quicker.
                          The stereo effect does sound good when testing, but in a competitive game like UT it will make it more difficult to locate enemies.

Comment

Originally posted by tarnationsauce2 View Post
                            Very nice so far.
                            I would make the raise weapon "high pitch" sound not as long, either fade it sooner or make it quicker.
                            The stereo effect does sound good when testing, but in a competitive game like UT it will make it more difficult to locate enemies.
                            Good point on the "high pitch" sound. I can shorten it for sure. If these sounds get accepted, I can do a mono mix of those sounds as well as the stereo version. I believe Entropy wanted to have the weapon sounds created by the player in stereo and enemies in mono so that you are able to pick out the direction of the enemy. But also good point, I will make sure these sounds are also mono compatible.

Comment

The weapon raise sound being too long in duration was also my first reaction, otherwise it sounds quite good. It might possibly have tiny bit too much midfrequencies in the overall mix I feel in the fire sounds, I'd guess around 500~1kHz area or so but I think the direction of the sound is interesting, does feel more "beefy" than the UT3's rather crispy but not very pulse-sounding sound. It could also be the reverb which is a bit too excessive, probably barely needs any reverb as the game engine I'd imagine adds some of its own. At least the current weapons doesn't have much reverb to them at all.
                              Last edited by RPGWiZ4RD; 07-20-2015, 04:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X