Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weapon Sound Design: Link Gun (MaxCarnage)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RPGWiZ4RD View Post
    The weapon raise sound being too long in duration was also my first reaction, otherwise it sounds quite good. It might possibly have tiny bit too much midfrequencies in the overall mix I feel in the fire sounds, I'd guess around 500~1kHz area or so but I think the direction of the sound is interesting, does feel more "beefy" than the UT3's rather crispy but not very pulse-sounding sound. It could also be the reverb which is a bit too excessive, probably barely needs any reverb as the game engine I'd imagine adds some of its own. At least the current weapons doesn't have much reverb to them at all.
    I can lesson the mid frequencies for sure and tweet the duration of the weapon raise to be much shorter. Good points! There is no reverb on the sound at all, however I suspect you are reacting to some of the sizzle effects that linger giving an impression of a verb tail. Perhaps that is interfering with the separation of each shot so you get less of that pulse feeling.

Comment

Originally posted by MaxCarnage View Post
      I can lesson the mid frequencies for sure and tweet the duration of the weapon raise to be much shorter. Good points! There is no reverb on the sound at all, however I suspect you are reacting to some of the sizzle effects that linger giving an impression of a verb tail. Perhaps that is interfering with the separation of each shot so you get less of that pulse feeling.
      Maybe it could be the stereo giving that impression of added reverb, isn't it supposed to be mono when working with game sound files? I haven't really paid attention but I think the other weapons sound mono from 1p or at least the stereo image feels quite wide here.

EDIT: Yes, I'm positive mono sound effects are used after checking out the weapon sound fx quickly ingame.
      Last edited by RPGWiZ4RD; 07-20-2015, 05:00 PM.

Comment

Maybe it could be the stereo giving that impression of added reverb, isn't it supposed to be mono when working with game sound files? I haven't really paid attention but I think the other weapons sound mono from 1p or at least the stereo image feels quite wide here.

EDIT: Yes, I'm positive mono sound effects are used after checking out the weapon sound fx quickly ingame.
        Yes, you are correct, all of the pickup items and weapons sounds are in mono. I can collapse the sound in to mono and give it a try as well. Entropy was talking at some point about experimenting with having the stereo file play when the player files their weapon while when an opponent fires their weapon it would play a mono file. So you get the benefit of both worlds.

Comment

Here yo go bud. This is what it sounds when collapsed to mono.

Comment

Originally posted by MaxCarnage View Post
            Here yo go bud. This is what it sounds when collapsed to mono.
            Yea now it sounded more familiar to other weapons and the reverb issue seems pretty much gone, also the midfrequencies also seem possibly slightly more appropriate, must have been the reverb emphasizing further mids a bit. Obviously in mono it sounds a bit less exciting but in stereo the sound would seem to be "larger" though which can be a bad thing if you want to hear something else in the map from the sound cues.
            Last edited by RPGWiZ4RD; 07-21-2015, 09:52 AM.

Comment

Hey guys, just a quick update: things were a bit hectic with moving to a new place and finishing up some projects, but I should have some time to get back into the thick of the link gun sounds. After watching the stream today, I am happy to see that the link is almost done visually. I am excited the animation and get a feel for the weapon speed in general. Steve mentioned something about the rhythm of the gun and I would love to redo some sounds to reflect on that note. Stay tuned!

Comment

Awesome work Max!
                MY VOICE DEMOS POST|| MY SOUNDCLOUD

Comment

Originally posted by Joji Hunter View Post
                  Awesome work Max!
                  Thanks! I really appreciate that!

Comment

REVISION 03
                    I tightened up the bass and modified the primary fire sound a little bit (mainly some frequency carving so the bass is not overwhelming.) I also created two new weapon raise and lower cues. I focused on creating a rhythm as the weapon is raised, a bit more focused of a sound than the last versions.

(Rev03a)

(Rev03b)

The changes have been uploaded to the original post as well.

Comment

Working...
                    X