Double Elimination Duration Fix poll

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Double Elimination Duration Fix poll

This Sunday we ran a Double Elimination Best of 3 duel cup with 23 participants. Cup lasted more than 6 hours which is really to much. IMHO cup like that should be half of duration (~3 hours). While Single Elimination cup (which would end in 3 hours or less) isn't even in discussion because it's not fun to play, we need to make some other changes.

Our (ESL staff) propositions are as following:
    1.) Make it Swiss cup instead. Duration of the cup would be similar or little longer than Single Elimination cup. It would definitely be fun for everyone because of system where players play with similary skilled opponents.
    2.) Change "Best of" in starting round(s) or/and in whole Looser Bracket to Best of 1. I suppose cup duration would be similar or little longer than Swiss. But, this makes cup less interesting/fun for players because they play less. (Or make it Best of 2 where match winner is player with bigger sum of frags in both maps).
    Go for Swiss
    77.78%
    Lower "Best of"
    22.22%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by Wasteful; 08-02-2016, 05:48 AM.
    Duel rankings contributor | running Unreal Tournament @ ESL

So there isn't any final at the end of a swiss cup? Would kinda miss watching that :/
    Maybe make it swiss cup with the 2 highest players playing a bo3 final at the end?

Comment

There are no "real finals" in Swiss, but yea, it can be done like that.

Comment

I'd much prefer double elim with bo1 games or even single elim over swiss cups. Imo the swiss cups work really well in the single map cups as it gives the map a lot of games but it's a bit anticlimactic to have in the bigger duel tournaments.
        :|

Comment

Normally I would prefer double elim for normal cups. But in this case swiss seems more fair considering that people fight for points to get in the finals and not for one big price. So actually playing out everything without getting knocked out early even though you could have done better if you had more luck with matchups seems more fair. And I like the idea of having a final between the two best each time.

Finals cup however should be a single elim normal cup with high BOs. I would also love to see the finals slots for the duel cups to be opened to 8 people instead of 4. Makes it a bit more exciting for who gets into the finals, more incentive for people to actually . For incentive to collect as many points as possible the finals cup should be seeded. Player with most points plays against player with least points etc.
          http://www.twitch.tv/rePeteGG

Comment

SE and 8 players finals were considered too. In the first place, 4 players finals were chosen because it's much easier to gather 4 players instead of 8 in case someone can't play at given date. DE was chosen to generate 2 more matches and because "finals" in 1st round can't happen this way.

23 players in a cup is really not enough to let top 8 to finals. If there will be more players in other 2 cups, 8 players finals will be reconsidered and then it will be SE for sure.
            Last edited by Wasteful; 09-02-2016, 07:16 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X