Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That goes beyond perfect aim... These guys kill me before my brain even fully computes that I just saw an enemy and need to kill him.
    Anyway, I felt the map were just way too small for 5v5. And insta kinda defeats the whole point of arena shooter to me (lots of weapons, takes longer to kill people).

I'll try to play either 2v2 or weap next time

Comment

Originally posted by Simboubou View Post
      That goes beyond perfect aim... These guys kill me before my brain even fully computes that I just saw an enemy and need to kill him.
      Anyway, I felt the map were just way too small for 5v5. And insta kinda defeats the whole point of arena shooter to me (lots of weapons, takes longer to kill people).

I'll try to play either 2v2 or weap next time
      Insta maps tend to be smaller and full of corners. The bigger the map, generally, the harder it is to run the flag successfully. But yeah, insta guys are on another level when it comes to twitch reactions. I'm a weapons man myself. I love the strategies and complexities that multiple weapons bring to the table. I use DM and TDM to work on my fragging skills with weapons. I use Insta to work on my aim, and I used Duels to work on my power-up timing skills (absolute novice at this point).

But CTF and Assault are where all those different skill sets come together and allow for a symphony of possibilities. I <3 Weapons CTF . Though it is in a CTF PUG, with the addition of voice communication, team coordination, and positional roles that CTF becomes more than the sum of its parts. Where it stops being just another FPS and becomes a truly unique experience. Your mileage may vary, of course, but for me its nirvana.
      Last edited by Mulsiphix; 10-13-2015, 06:29 PM. Reason: expanded post
      Mulsiphix's Guide To PUGing In UT4
      What is the difference between a Public server and a PUG? PUG stands for Pick Up Game. A more organized way of playing, teams are selected by Captains and voice communication is used to achieve better team coordination. These clan-style matches involve the same regulars, week after week. The community aspect, of PUGing with friends, really adds to the fun factor of a match. Want to know more or get your friends involved in PUGing? Check out my guide.

Comment

Can i join PUGs to "git gud"? Or should I work on being good to begin with before PUGs? I'd rather not have to figure out all the nuances of the game by myself.

Comment

Honestly, if you are familiar with the game or also played other UT games. You should just come join #UT4.eu or & #ut4pugs & playing pugs it will definetly improve you skill. Plus players always want to do 1v1's or 2v2's so that would also help you improve & lots of these players are dedicated players & know what their doing with settings & computer stuff so players could also manage too help you in someway that's helpful for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Poopslinger View Post
            Can i join PUGs to "git gud"? Or should I work on being good to begin with before PUGs? I'd rather not have to figure out all the nuances of the game by myself.
            Playing in PUGs will definitely help you become a better player in a shorter amount of time. The true value, from a learning perspective, in a PUG comes from being able to observe how skilled players play the game and how they respond to certain situations. For example, I didn't understand the true power of wall dodging and wall running until I saw it being used to great effect in PUGs. It was quite uncommon to see in Public matches.

The only potential downside is that PUGs are competitive matches. You're far more likely to get picked on in a PUG than you are in a Public match. Playing on a team in a PUG is like hanging out with your family. In a Public match if somebody doesn't like how the teams are balanced, they can just leave. People in a PUG are stuck with you. If you leave, their loss in the match is assured. So often the weakest link will get ridiculed and teased if your team is losing. Usually this isn't too bad but some folks take it a bit too seriously and go overboard, at least in my opinion.

Another facet of PUGing when you are brand new is that PUG'ers tend to be down right skilled. So if you get discouraged easily by losing constantly or if you prefer to learn in an environment where you can take it nice and slow, a PUG probably isn't the path for you. In that case I would recommend playing in Public matches until you feel comfortable with most or all of the weapons. Not necessarily good at killing with all of them, but comfortable enough to be able to use a weapon exclusively if you had to.

So is a PUG the best place to learn the game and the quickest path to becoming a skilled player through experience? YES !! Is it the best place for someone who might prefer a more laid back approach in a low stress, low anxiety environment? Most definitely, no . Whatever path you choose, I welcome you to UT4 and hope to see you in a PUG sooner than later .
            Last edited by Mulsiphix; 11-08-2015, 07:27 PM.
            What is the difference between a Public server and a PUG? PUG stands for Pick Up Game. A more organized way of playing, teams are selected by Captains and voice communication is used to achieve better team coordination. These clan-style matches involve the same regulars, week after week. The community aspect, of PUGing with friends, really adds to the fun factor of a match. Want to know more or get your friends involved in PUGing? Check out my guide.

Comment

Thanks Mulsiphix for this great guide. It acquainted me with the concept of PUGs in general, and made me consider pugging myself, even though I don't feel quite ready for them yet. The first rule of playing games should be to have a good time, to have fun, but I've seen players treat matches as if they were real-life problems.
              UT4: brazzjazz | Steam: brazzjazz | Flickr: brazzjazz
              This is what brazzjazz sounds like
              Use your computer to do good, use BOINC!

Comment

Originally posted by brazzjazz View Post
                Thanks Mulsiphix for this great guide. It acquainted me with the concept of PUGs in general, and made me consider pugging myself, even though I don't feel quite ready for them yet. The first rule of playing games should be to have a good time, to have fun, but I've seen players treat matches as if they were real-life problems.
                You're welcome . I share your lament that so many people approach the game with such a serious mindset. I'm all for competitive play, but when playful smack talking turns into serious bullying behavior, all fun goes right out the window. I wish I could say all of my experiences were playful and fun, but it has definitely been a mixed bag of good and bad concerning player behavior. The PUG matches are always fun though .

Comment

I think it would be wise to make everything necessary clear in the PUG rules, and to make the rules balanced for experienced and new players alike. In the process, the PUG community may consider abandoning (unwritten) current ones, and introducing new ones. I'd say social dynamics are not trivial on the internet either, and need to be managed in some way in order to maintain harmony.
                  Last edited by brazzjazz; 11-19-2015, 06:58 PM.
                  UT4: brazzjazz | Steam: brazzjazz | Flickr: brazzjazz
                  This is what brazzjazz sounds like
                  Use your computer to do good, use BOINC!

Comment

I think it would be wise to make everything necessary clear in the PUG rules, and to make the rules balanced for experienced and new players alike.
                    When you say "in the PUG rules" do you mean the rules available via the !rules command in each PUG channel (#ut4pugs and #UT4.eu)? Could you elaborate on your thoughts regarding balanced rules for both experienced and new players?

In the process, the PUG community may consider abandoning (unwritten) current ones, and introducing new ones.
                    What rules do you feel are unwritten? What new rules would you add? I'm just a fan like anybody else but I know this guide is monitored by the folks that run both channels. Perhaps voicing your opinion could lead to change or invaluable discussion. I wish more folks would voice their opinions on how PUGs are run, in a constructive manner. Many complain but not in a helpful way and I bet many are passionate but choose to remain silent .

I'd say social dynamics are not trivial on the internet either, and need to be managed in some way in order to maintain harmony.
                    I agree. Unfortunately, the big question is how to do it effectively .

Comment

very nice. This is what i was looking for!

Comment

Latest Revision (12/07/2015)

What Is A PUG:
                        • Modified first, third, and fourth paragraphs.

Where Can I Find UT4 PUGs:
                        • Modified portions of #UT4.eu and #ut4pugs channel bio's with updated information.

Communication Is Key
                        • Modified, slighly expanded, and reorganized the information.

CTF PUG Roles
                        • Expanded definition for Mid.

Power-ups:
                        • Changed Jump Boots timing from 30s to 45s. Also modified screenshot to show this. Despite what the Pickups training level and UT Editor show, Jump Boots currently take 45s to respawn outside of Duel matches.
                        • Added paragraph, table, and new images for Power-up Timing.
                        • Hyperlinked existing seconds column of Power-ups list. These now point to new power-up timing images.

Its Hard Out There! How Can I Improve My UT4 and PUG Skills?
                        • Added this brand new section.

New Vocabulary:
                        • Revised Hitscan entry
                        • Changed "Support/Cover" to just "Support" and added new unique entry for "Cover".
                        • Added 4 new terms; Spammer, Cheesing, Clutch, Clutch Pickup.
                        • Reorganized the list to better group thematically related terms.
                        • Two YouTube videos are linked within the definitions. I modified their URLs to only show the segment of the video that pertained to the subject matter.
                        • Vocabulary words are now italicized for easy identification throughout the Vocabulary section. I chose not to italicize words within their own definition.

Special Thanks:
                        • Modified username URL's with a URL of each persons choosing.
                        • Entered information into the previously empty "Where" column in the PUG match streamers subsection.
                        • Added Zaccubus and Infra` to the list.
                        Last edited by Mulsiphix; 12-07-2015, 05:45 PM. Reason: Added something to the list I had forgotton about.

Comment

When is the best time to jump into North American PUGs? I've never joined one and would like to check it out, but it said there was no one in queue in any gametype and the last game was played 22 hours ago :/

Comment

Originally posted by Traybourne View Post
                            When is the best time to jump into North American PUGs? I've never joined one and would like to check it out, but it said there was no one in queue in any gametype and the last game was played 22 hours ago :/
                            Unfortunately we've hit a period of low activity with the UT4 player base. Why, you ask?
                            • A lot of triple A titles have been recently released (Just Cause 3, StarCraft II: LOTV, Fallout 4, plus more for consoles)
                            • Some new shooters have become available (Overwatch, Call of Duty Advanced Warfare, CoD Black Ops III, SW Battlefront, etc...)
                            • November and December both tend to be hard on peoples schedules and free time.
                            • It doesn't look like we'll see a new UT4 build until January (people get bored with the new features quickly)
                            • Black Friday and Cyber Monday sales have likely expanded the game collections of many. I just picked up Titanfall and three LOTRO expansions myself, all for under $50 .

Considering such a small percentage of UT4 players participate in PUGs, the current reduced population has hit the PUG community pretty darn hard. The number of PUGs running each week is pretty small and when they happen is largely random. However, the majority of PUGs occur during the evening hours and on Saturday and Sunday. If you stick around in IRC and are at the PC for an extended period of time, getting into one during the week is very doable.

I'm really sorry I don't have better news for you . Due to the specific circumstances that have created the current UT4 gaming climate, all you can do is try and try again. I am hopeful that after the next build, after the holidays have finished up, that the frequency of PUG matches will return to the levels I first experienced when I started PUGing a few months ago. Back then there were several games every day, especially on Saturday's and Sunday's.
                            Last edited by Mulsiphix; 12-08-2015, 03:20 PM. Reason: formatting

Comment

Very well written and thank you !!
                              I've made some small Tutorials for fun players during UT99 period, it takes hours !!

But this Tutorial took you many days !!!
                              Last edited by Grommie; 12-08-2015, 07:56 AM.
                              MSI Z170A GAMING M5 | i7-6700k 4GHz | 4x4GB DDR4 - 2666MHz | MSI GTX 970 4GB | ASUS IPS 120Hz 1440P | Audioengine D1 + Sennheiser HD650 | WIN 10 x64

Comment

Really nice job Mulsiphix, read through much of it and it's really good for the most part and highly comprehensive. I did notice that there are multiple times when you use the defensive term "return" when I think you are really referring to the offensive function "cap". Just be careful of that to avoid causing confusion.

Also saw a part where you said that the max stack is 200, which it's now 150 (the note under powerup timings).

And I'm not 100% but isn't sniper a very high speed projectile or is it actually hitscan? Thought this was something that was changed in UT4, not sure if that's correctly classified as hitscan in your guide (please correct me if I'm wrong).

Other than that awesome job!
                                NoBrainsNoAims^ // nbna^
                                My movies on YouTube:
                                UT2k4: UT~]i[mmortalZ Part 1
                                , Part 2 / UT~]i[mmortalZ 2 / UT Immortalz 3
                                UT4: Rocket Jumping - Titan Pass

UT4: Frag Highlights #1 / #2 / #3 NEW

Comment

Working...
                                X