This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mulsiphix View Post
    Unfortunately we've hit a period of low activity with the UT4 player base. Why, you ask?
    FWIW, I know someone who was invited to join these pugs yet can't because he has no HUD in CTF (and hasn't found any way to fix it.) I'm curious how many others have this issue, because I don't.

Originally posted by NoBrainsNoAims^ View Post
    Also saw a part where you said that the max stack is 200, which it's now 150 (the note under powerup timings)
    Pretty sure the tutorial makes this mistake as well.

Comment

Originally posted by gzv
      FWIW, I know someone who was invited to join these pugs yet can't because he has no HUD in CTF (and hasn't found any way to fix it.) I'm curious how many others have this issue, because I don't.
      I have never heard of this bug. Has he posted here in the forum about it?

Really nice job Mulsiphix, read through much of it and it's really good for the most part and highly comprehensive.
      If you have any feedback on how I could make it better or other areas, even if it just the language or information delivery, that you feel could be improved upon, I'd love to hear it. As I've gone through fixing some of the issues I talk about below I'm finding grammer and wording that could be improved. I attach "ing" or an "s" to words that don't need it. Some of the speech can be repetitive.

I'm noticing that when I Italicized the text in the New Vocabulary section I over did it by applying it to any instance of a word versus the proper usage of a vocabulary term. The word Return, for instance, had a handful of instances that I cleaned up today. I'll need to go back and check each italicized term to make sure it is in its proper context. I definitely need to give the guide a nice slow read through from top to bottom to see if I can catch more of this stuff. I thank you for taking the time to point the issues you've found. You are aweome .

I did notice that there are multiple times when you use the defensive term "return" when I think you are really referring to the offensive function "cap". Just be careful of that to avoid causing confusion.
      Fantastic! Thank you very much for pointing this out. I've gone through and re-read this guide so many times that I fear I can no longer look at it with fresh eyes. My brain starts to gloss over or read from memory rather than the document. Here is what I caught and in all instances return was changed to cap or capture:
      • CTF PUG Roles -> Offensive: "In the event that they die, you should pick up the flag and return it yourself."
      • New Vocabulary -> Cheesing: "Combining Piston jumping, wall running, dodging, and rocket or flak jumping in order to successfully Return a flag is a prime example."
      • New Vocabulary -> Cheesing: "Here is a prime example of a Return, using this style of play, by Infra`."
      • New Vocabulary -> Trolling: "Intentionally Cherrypicking your teammates (versus providing Cover), Grabbing the flag without trying to Return it, performing poorly on purpose"

Also saw a part where you said that the max stack is 200, which it's now 150 (the note under powerup timings).
      I was unaware that this had been changed. Changed!

And I'm not 100% but isn't sniper a very high speed projectile or is it actually hitscan? Thought this was something that was changed in UT4, not sure if that's correctly classified as hitscan in your guide (please correct me if I'm wrong).
      I had asked in the UnrealTournament channel on IRC and gotten some user responses, though nothing official. All the previous versions in the UT series were Hitscan to my knowledge so it made sense. I've done some searching in the forum but haven't been able to find anything definitive. So I've created a thread on the forum to see if I can get something more certain .

Update:
      Originally posted by -jay- View Post
      Hitscan. Early on in the project Epic tested it out as a projectile, but the community up-roared and it was changed back to hitscan.

Originally posted by gzv View Post
      Originally posted by NoBrainsNoAims^
      Also saw a part where you said that the max stack is 200, which it's now 150 (the note under powerup timings)
      Pretty sure the tutorial makes this mistake as well.
      This is where I pulled the information from. The Pickups map in Basic Training

Other than that awesome job!
      Originally posted by Grommie View Post
      Very well written and thank you !!
      Thank you!
      Last edited by Mulsiphix; 12-08-2015, 03:52 PM. Reason: added more responses to the post
      Mulsiphix's Guide To PUGing In UT4
      What is the difference between a Public server and a PUG? PUG stands for Pick Up Game. A more organized way of playing, teams are selected by Captains and voice communication is used to achieve better team coordination. These clan-style matches involve the same regulars, week after week. The community aspect, of PUGing with friends, really adds to the fun factor of a match. Want to know more or get your friends involved in PUGing? Check out my guide.

Comment

OK I knew I wasn't completely making that up, but I stand corrected
        NoBrainsNoAims^ // nbna^
        My movies on YouTube:
        UT2k4: UT~]i[mmortalZ Part 1
        , Part 2 / UT~]i[mmortalZ 2 / UT Immortalz 3
        UT4: Rocket Jumping - Titan Pass

UT4: Frag Highlights #1 / #2 / #3 NEW

Comment

I have never heard of this bug. Has he posted here in the forum about it?
          He updated the post, so the thread title is wrong. Maybe that's why it hasn't gotten any attention.

There's another similar thread that concerns TDM.

Comment

Originally posted by gzv View Post
            He updated the post, so the thread title is wrong. Maybe that's why it hasn't gotten any attention.

There's another similar thread that concerns TDM.
            I tried posting on both threads to try and draw attention to the issue. The best possible course of action is to try and talk to a developer on the official IRC channel.
            What is the difference between a Public server and a PUG? PUG stands for Pick Up Game. A more organized way of playing, teams are selected by Captains and voice communication is used to achieve better team coordination. These clan-style matches involve the same regulars, week after week. The community aspect, of PUGing with friends, really adds to the fun factor of a match. Want to know more or get your friends involved in PUGing? Check out my guide.

Comment

thanks for all the helpful input! i appreciate it. i'm running into some trouble though. my name in game (and also in many other games) is "Rif***e", as in Riffs, like from a sweet heavy metal song or whatever, but this mIRC client keeps flagging my name as inappropriate because of the fourth fifth and sixth letters of my name. any ideas how i can get around this? seems idiotic.

EDIT: yea okay and the UT forum is flagging my name as inappropriate for the same reason. the name is R,i,f,f,a,g,e without the commas. jeez this is silly.

Comment

and it's also worth noting that the IRC web client didn't flag my name as inappropriate, just mIRC and this forum apparently.

Comment

Originally posted by cgheezey View Post
                  and it's also worth noting that the IRC web client didn't flag my name as inappropriate, just mIRC and this forum apparently.
                  If it isn't happening in the webClient then that means it doesn't have anything to do with some filter GlobalGamers have implemented. At least that logic makes sense to me. I tried to test changing my name to your nick myself, but it says it is already in use (assume thats you via webClient). I tried changing my name to some seriously bad stuff, and it allowed those too. So when you say mIRC flags it as inappropriate, what do you mean?

Comment

the message i'm getting in mIRC says "Erroneous Nickname: Inappropriate text"

and also, you're right, i was using that name in the web client while i was trying to connect with the mIRC client so i tried exiting the web client but still, couldn't get it to work.... hmm... i just wanna play pugs haha

Comment

this is also happening in "SwiftIRC" apparently? whatever that is

Comment

the message i'm getting in mIRC says "Erroneous Nickname: Inappropriate text"
                        The fourth, fifth, and sixth characters of your name spell ***. I tried logging into GlobalGamers and renaming myself to Rif***e as well as ***. Both names were allowed. In fact, *** is a registered nickname, so GlobalGamers clearly doesn't have any problems with it. In regards to the UT4 forums, yeah they seem to have a rather extensive filter file for "bad" language. You might try getting around it by substituting one or more of the problematic letters with an ascii character(s) that resembles those letters. At this point I would recommend joining the #GlobalGamers channel and asking for support directly. I've contacted them in the past and found them to be very helpful and knowledgeable .

this is also happening in "SwiftIRC" apparently? whatever that is
                        Just another IRC network that people can connect to, just like GlobalGamers. I've found a few forum posts by other users experiencing this sort of trouble, where other SwiftIRC users report a filter is in place to block certain nicks from being created. I tried your name there myself and encountered the error you mentioned. Unfortunately on a network like that you'd have to settle for modifying your name (Riff-age for example) or a different nick altogether. But GlobalGamers shouldn't be giving you one.

UPDATE
                        Turns out the network being selected was SwiftIRC and not GlobalGamers. He was able to use his nick on GlobalGamers without any further issues. I have also confirmed that GlobalGamers does not have any sort of language filter in place for nicknames.
                        Last edited by Mulsiphix; 12-12-2015, 01:26 AM. Reason: added UPDATE

Comment

Unfortunately we've hit a period of low activity with the UT4 player base. Why, you ask?
                          • A lot of triple A titles have been recently released (Just Cause 3, StarCraft II: LOTV, Fallout 4, plus more for consoles)
                          • Some new shooters have become available (Overwatch, Call of Duty Advanced Warfare, CoD Black Ops III, SW Battlefront, etc...)
                          • November and December both tend to be hard on peoples schedules and free time.
                          • It doesn't look like we'll see a new UT4 build until January (people get bored with the new features quickly)
                          • Black Friday and Cyber Monday sales have likely expanded the game collections of many. I just picked up Titanfall and three LOTRO expansions myself, all for under $50 .

Considering such a small percentage of UT4 players participate in PUGs, the current reduced population has hit the PUG community pretty darn hard. The number of PUGs running each week is pretty small and when they happen is largely random. However, the majority of PUGs occur during the evening hours and on Saturday and Sunday. If you stick around in IRC and are at the PC for an extended period of time, getting into one during the week is very doable.

I'm really sorry I don't have better news for you . Due to the specific circumstances that have created the current UT4 gaming climate, all you can do is try and try again. I am hopeful that after the next build, after the holidays have finished up, that the frequency of PUG matches will return to the levels I first experienced when I started PUGing a few months ago. Back then there were several games every day, especially on Saturday's and Sunday's.
                          Yeah that makes sense, I've also played much less recently due to other titles that came out recently. I did manage to get into my first PUG just a bit ago though. Do they usually do custom maps? We played Azcanize and Grendal Keep, which are 2 maps I've never played before so I was pretty awful.

Comment

Originally posted by Traybourne View Post
                            Yeah that makes sense, I've also played much less recently due to other titles that came out recently. I did manage to get into my first PUG just a bit ago though. Do they usually do custom maps? We played Azcanize and Grendal Keep, which are 2 maps I've never played before so I was pretty awful.
                            Oh man I was almost in that pug with you. Wife came home early for lunch so I had to back out right before it started. Yeah they do custom maps. Azcanize and Grendel Keep are both customs you will see a lot in pugs. Very few maps exist in UT4 and far fewer exist that meet the needs of competitive gameplay. It took me quite a while before I was effective on Grendel Keep

Comment

Oh man I was almost in that pug with you. Wife came home early for lunch so I had to back out right before it started. Yeah they do custom maps. Azcanize and Grendel Keep are both customs you will see a lot in pugs. Very few maps exist in UT4 and far fewer exist that meet the needs of competitive gameplay. It took me quite a while before I was effective on Grendel Keep
                              Lol yeah I wondered what happened to you there. I guess I'll need to brush up on some of those maps, I feel pretty useless when someone calls out "he's by rockets", and I'm trying to figure out where the hell rockets are.

Comment

Originally posted by Traybourne View Post
                                Lol yeah I wondered what happened to you there. I guess I'll need to brush up on some of those maps, I feel pretty useless when someone calls out "he's by rockets", and I'm trying to figure out where the hell rockets are.
                                Oh man I've been there. Map knowledge is an unavoidable base requirement in order to be effective in a PUG. It isn't a big deal though. It is one big learning experience. A rather steep learning curve followed by gaming nirvana when everything falls into place

Comment

Working...
                                X