X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Originally posted by WHIPperSNAPper View Post
    Is this stuff still being organized on IRC, or have people moved on to Discord? I downloaded Discord yesterday, and hot ****, it's neat and better than IRC!
    I just hopped on to check and was told everybody had moved onto Discord. I won't have a chance to update the guide anytime soon unfortunately. Luckily, there is more than enough info already present for people to find their way.

In the mean time, if you have any difficulties or questions, asking them here or in this forum should result in a quick answer. You could always try IRC if you're hoping for something a bit quicker, too.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Is this stuff still being organized on IRC, or have people moved on to Discord? I downloaded Discord yesterday, and hot ****, it's neat and better than IRC!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by xhilr8 View Post
    Hey bud! Sorry I missed your return, I lost interest after you left. Your guides were awesome and inspiring. I've been playing the new DOOM lately and not getting much out of it so I'm back to UT but not PUGing because the regulars have no time for old school guys like me who haven't played in a bit. Oh well. Hope you're doing ok.
    What server do you pug with? you'll always be welcome to join us on discord, just tell your team you're a bit rusty

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hey bud! Sorry I missed your return, I lost interest after you left. Your guides were awesome and inspiring. I've been playing the new DOOM lately and not getting much out of it so I'm back to UT but not PUGing because the regulars have no time for old school guys like me who haven't played in a bit. Oh well. Hope you're doing ok.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Latest Revision (05/04/2016)
    Every once in a while the stars seem to align and everything that could possibly go wrong in your life, does. This happened to me near the middle of February 2016 and I had to walk away from playing UT4. I had every intention of returning when things calmed down and to pick up where I left off. However, events and issues continue to pile up to such a degree that I feel it is best that I try to put the finishing touches on my PUG guide.

I like to keep a list of things that I feel could improve the guide while I play PUGs. What you see below is the "to do" list I had accumulated when I quit back in February. While this guides's content could theoretically be imporoved, I believe it contains every last thing a player needs to learn about PUGing and hit the ground running in their first PUG match. While some parts of the guide may become outdated as UT4 evolves or the supporting software changes, all of the information pertaining to PUGing is probably 100% future proof.

I will continue to check my private messages here on the forum and try to respond to posts made directly to this guide's thread. However, I can no longer be found hanging out on IRC. I don't know if I will be able to revise the guide with content players request in the future, but it never hurts to ask. So please don't hesitate to contact me if you need anything or if you have any ideas on how to improve the content of this guide.

It has been both a pleasure and an honor being a part of this community. My time here has been some of the funnest I have ever spent doing any activity for fun. I cannot urge you enough to give PUGing a try if you are even remotely interested!

Introduction
    How To Configure mIRC
    • There are three mentions of joining both the #ut4pugs and #UT4.eu channels. I expanded each mention to include #UT4.ig and #utaunz as well.

TeamSpeak
    • Updated TeamSpeak banner because Epic's IP/server had changed and the previous image/link no longer worked.

Where Can I Find UT4 PUGs?
    • Added channel bio for #UT4.ig.
    • Added channel bio for #utaunz.
    • Added channel bio for UnrealPUGs (Discord).
    • Added Setting Up Discord support section for UnrealPUGs channel bio.

#ut4pugs Channel Bio
    • Updated list of Game Types.

#UT4.eu Channel Bio
    • Revised channel bio to update Game Types and general information.
    • Added info about the great work #UT4.eu did with organizing and hosting their first iCTF Draft Cup event!
    • Added a reference to the fact that the #UT4.eu Facebook group recently reached 600 followers. Way to go guys!
    • Added a second note to the bottom of the channel bio that links to the A Basic Analysis Of European PUG Statistics In 2015 thread that I put together for the channel.

CTF PUG Roles
    • Added the All Positions section containing general advice.

New Vocabulary
    • Revised definition for Cheesing to include that, more generally, the term can also be used to describe a person who uses cheap tactics in order to win.

Special Thanks
    • Updated NoBrainsNoAims^ URL in the Who column to point to his YouTube channel.
    • Added entry for TickleMeElmo to the table because he contributed a new videoto the Introduction section of the guide.
    • Added entry for Darth|UA| to list of folks who helped me to understand PUG Lingo.
    Last edited by Mulsiphix; 05-05-2016, 12:35 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Oh dear, feeling stupid now, lol, working in IT my brain sees "spec" as specification :-D yeah I've not spectated before but know how to choose to - **** abbreviations ;-)

Yeah I'm gonna read up on things and watch a few CTF PUG matches and then may well head back 'deliberately'
    Nice guide/info by the way, very helpful

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by A Man Oxford View Post
    Hey all, just stumbled into a PUG accidentally and they kicked me from the ready screen in about 5seconds after typing "spec" a couple of times in chat, guessing that was meant as a question for me...so: What spec would they be after? My preferred weapon/position or my pc or maybe even my connection speed? Having read about Pugging I fancy heading back deliberately in future so want to know what I'm being asked and anything else I might get queried on - cheers :-)
    I was in that PUG ! What had happened was that a PUG had filled in the IRC channel. 9 of the 10 players had showed up for the match and the 10th was downloading the map. Normally a PUG match is password protected so you can't wander in accidentally. However, tonight we were testing out the Wail Weapons mod. This is a normal match type available on the server and it is not password protected, like the PUG match type is .

Spec means spectate, which is when you watch a game in Spectator Mode. If you are not one of the folks who signed up for a PUG, the only way you are allowed to join that match is if you are a spectator. Otherwise, you will be removed so that the missing player(s) can join and participate in the match. To join as a Spectator bring up the match you want to join in the UT4 Server List and choose Spectate instead of Join.

As far as what you need to know before you join your first PUG, I highly recommend you read as much of my guide as possible. Although you can get by with only reading the Common Occurrences portion of the New Vocabulary section. I know it is a lot to take in but concerning PUGs, the more you know before you start, the better prepared you'll be. You're also much more likely to enjoy your first match. Knowing next to nothing can be extremely overwhelming. I had no idea what I was doing when I first started. The more I learned the more I was able to enjoy this new experience
    Last edited by Mulsiphix; 01-09-2016, 02:47 AM. Reason: added screenshot

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I guess they wanted you to switch to spectator, especially if by "stumbled into" you meant that you joined the starting game in the hub without going through all the IRC stuff. When PUG starts this means that both teams already have full rosters, so when you joined, you took someone's place.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hey all, just stumbled into a PUG accidentally and they kicked me from the ready screen in about 5seconds after typing "spec" a couple of times in chat, guessing that was meant as a question for me...so: What spec would they be after? My preferred weapon/position or my pc or maybe even my connection speed? Having read about Pugging I fancy heading back deliberately in future so want to know what I'm being asked and anything else I might get queried on - cheers :-)

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Latest Revision (01/03/2016)
    After I finished writing this guide I found re-reading it to be difficult. My mind would wander or I would finish sentences in my head before I finished reading them on the screen. I planned to come back after a couple of months and look at it again with fresh eyes. That time has come and I've gone through and made small adjustements throughout the guide to improve grammer, punctuation, vocabulary diveristy, and overall flow. These changes are too numerous to list. However, new information or changes I felt were worth mentioning are listed below:

What Is A PUG?
    • Added a Note pointing to more PUG videos in the Its Hard Out There! How Can I Improve My UT4 and PUG Skills? section.

Should I Use mIRC or a webClient?
    • Expanded the Note section to address the fact that mIRC is shareware and listed freeware alternatives for Windows, Linux, and Macintosh.

How To Configure mIRC
    • Rewrote parts of step 4 (dot 5). Previously stated that setting autohide to ON would make the commands /whois and /dns return a partial IP to other users. I've corrected this as this setting completely prevents any hostmask or IP information from being seen by other users. That is, with the exception of a DCC chat or file transfer.
    • Added a note after step 5 to include information on how to locate additional non-PUG UT4 IRC channels that might be of interest.

Where Can I Find UT4 PUGs
    #ut4pugs Channel Bio
    • Removed recommendation that new players try bCTF (later changed to cCTF) before hoping into the highly competitive CTF game type.
    • Removed cCTF (Casual CTF) game type as this is no longer offered.
    • Added TAM game type to description and linked it to Last Team Standing mod on UT4 Forum.
    • Modified the Note section. Now includes a couple of new images and basic instructions for downloading maps from the ut4pugs megahub.
    • Added a second Note to the bottom of the post and added a link to my A Basic Analysis Of North American PUG Statistics In 2015 thread.

#UT4.eu Channel Bio
    • Updated #ut4.eu's game type list as several modes have been modified, removed, or added.

What Are The Different PUGbot Commands?
    • Edited these down to single line entries (at least for my 1680x1050 resolution), except for .nomic, to reduce the cluttered look. Considered adding spaces between bullet points but it makes this section huge (just like mIRC and TS setup areas).

CTF PUG Roles
    • Added a new paragraph to the Offensive section that covers dealing with power-ups.

Power-ups
    • Added a new sentence that states the flashing part of a power-up timer is counting down 5 seconds of time.

Its Hard Out There! How Can I Improve My UT4 and PUG Skills?
    New Vocabulary
    • The mass search and replace I performed during my last guide revision, to italicize Vocabulary terms, led to instances of words being italicized when they are used in a fashion that has nothing to do with the intended meaning of the vocabulary term. For example, Return, can mean to return the flag or might reference returning to a type of behavior after an event. All such instances of improper italicization have been identified and returned to their original non-italic state. I think .
    • Capitalized all occurrences of vocabulary words for easier identification, whether or not the word should be capitalized in regards to proper punctuation.
    • Divided the vocabulary into three sections; Common, Semi/Uncommon, and Rare Occurrences. Giving new players a smaller subset of words to work with initially might be helpful. Up till now I focused on only adding words I felt were common in PUGs. Taking this approach should allow me to expand the list further without making the section too scary for new folks to tackle.
    • Added a new word: Sit.
    • Added alternative phrases for a couple words: Spamming became [Spam / Spamming], D Up became [D Up, Turtling, Turtle Up].

Special Thanks
    • Expanded BlueClouds description in How column to reflect his part in helping me write this analysis of N.A. PUG Activity.
    • Added a new subsection for individuals who help me improve this guide through offering me feedback.

Revision History
    • Added this tiny section to the end of the guide.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Traybourne View Post
    When is the best time to jump into North American PUGs? I've never joined one and would like to check it out, but it said there was no one in queue in any gametype and the last game was played 22 hours ago :/
    You are not alone in wondering when the best time to look for a match is. Now I finally have a concrete answer for you . Check out my latest thread: A Basic Analysis Of North American PUG Statistics In 2015.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by gzv View Post
    FWIW, I know someone who was invited to join these pugs yet can't because he has no HUD in CTF (and hasn't found any way to fix it.) I'm curious how many others have this issue, because I don't.
    I've posted a temporary solution on your friends thread. All he has to do is open the console and type showhud. It works for one user, though I'm not sure if he has to type this at the beginning of every match or if it fixes it for good. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by the devs. I doubt it, but at least there is a serviceable workaround for now

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by richardboegli View Post
    Please add the UTAUNZ:

#utaunz on irc.globalgamers.net:The PUG channel for the AU & NZ UT4 community
    Find us on: Facebook / UT4 Forums / IRC webClient / Website

UTAUNZ is where local players come together to organise matches and competitions and chat. New players are always welcome.
    There is a scheduled NW CTF match every night at 2130hrs UTC+11 (Sydney Time)
    Teamspeak addressort - 54.153.250.234:10125
    The hub ([UTAUNZ]Demolution Hub, AU Sydney) is hosted by community member Demolution

---
    Other community members will add additional information / corrections if required.

Thanks.
    Thank you richardboegli! I've gone ahead and contacted Demolution and asked some questions that I had (mostly about your custom PUGbot). I'm currently waiting for Demolution to get back to me with a revised channel bio. Per his request, I will be waiting until I receive the updated bio before I officially add #UTAUNZ to the guide. Thank you very much for letting me know about this new channel!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Please add the UTAUNZ:

#utaunz on irc.globalgamers.net:The PUG channel for the AU & NZ UT4 community
    Find us on: Facebook / UT4 Forums / IRC webClient / Website

UTAUNZ is where local players come together to organise matches and competitions and chat. New players are always welcome.
    There is a scheduled NW CTF match every night at 2130hrs UTC+11 (Sydney Time)
    Teamspeak addressort - 54.153.250.234:10125
    The hub ([UTAUNZ]Demolution Hub, AU Sydney) is hosted by community member Demolution

---
    Other community members will add additional information / corrections if required.

Thanks.
    Last edited by richardboegli; 01-02-2016, 02:11 PM. Reason: :P instead of :PORT

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Traybourne View Post
    Lol yeah I wondered what happened to you there. I guess I'll need to brush up on some of those maps, I feel pretty useless when someone calls out "he's by rockets", and I'm trying to figure out where the hell rockets are.
    Oh man I've been there. Map knowledge is an unavoidable base requirement in order to be effective in a PUG. It isn't a big deal though. It is one big learning experience. A rather steep learning curve followed by gaming nirvana when everything falls into place

Leave a comment:

Working...
X