#ut4pugs on irc.globalgamers.net

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by peterk View Post
    Personally i rather wait and play better games. quality > quantity for me.
    I agree with this.

Comment

Keeeeelaaarr

Comment

hoser = keelar

Comment

To anybody on the fence about checking this out, you can't go wrong if you seek highly competitive play. I usually place within the top three on public servers and I got my butt handed to me when I first joined. The average player is highly skilled and most matches I've seen so far are a tug of war between sides. The balance between teams is usually struck very well.

Had a great time and I really enjoy the addition of TeamSpeak to the game. The experience of coordinated team play is like nothing else. Getting on IRC is very simple and poses no time issue after you set it up the first time. The quality of these matches is just so much higher than you're usual experience. This just became my preferred way to play .
          Mulsiphix's Guide To PUGing In UT4
          What is the difference between a Public server and a PUG? PUG stands for Pick Up Game. A more organized way of playing, teams are selected by Captains and voice communication is used to achieve better team coordination. These clan-style matches involve the same regulars, week after week. The community aspect, of PUGing with friends, really adds to the fun factor of a match. Want to know more or get your friends involved in PUGing? Check out my guide.

Comment

Our UT4Assaultgroup gonna have a fusion with ut4pugs soon and our utassault server located in Germany will be available soon. Stay tuned and join irc #ut.assault and #ut4pugs

Comment

Originally posted by NeoZee View Post
              I know this might seem a bit stupid, but for somebody who never got into irc this all seems a bit confusing...almost exclusionary.

I am sure it would be far worse for a novice user or new gamer who just wants to play a quick CTF game and keeps bumping into passworded games. Perhaps a video tutorial with the exact settings might be in order?
              I felt the same way when I joined. In response, I've written a PUGing guide that should help anybody get started PUGing.
              What is the difference between a Public server and a PUG? PUG stands for Pick Up Game. A more organized way of playing, teams are selected by Captains and voice communication is used to achieve better team coordination. These clan-style matches involve the same regulars, week after week. The community aspect, of PUGing with friends, really adds to the fun factor of a match. Want to know more or get your friends involved in PUGing? Check out my guide.

Comment

so i'm just starting to get into using IRC, specifically so i can start doing PUGs. how necessary is mIRC? would you reccomend any of the free ones like IceChat (or whatever it's called), or maybe just using the web client instead? what are the drawbacks of using the web client anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by cgheezey View Post
                  so i'm just starting to get into using IRC, specifically so i can start doing PUGs. how necessary is mIRC? would you reccomend any of the free ones like IceChat (or whatever it's called), or maybe just using the web client instead? what are the drawbacks of using the web client anyway?
                  web based client works. but its very unstable. at least from my experience. also it looks really bad. mirc for example is such a nice tool. it has so little resource consumption (ram, cpu time) you wont even notice if its running in the background, not even with an outdated pc. you can do so much with it. like auto connecting multiple irc networks, auto connecting channels, performing commands automatically once you join a irc network for example automatic authenticating.

Comment

so i'm just starting to get into using IRC, specifically so i can start doing PUGs.
                    Fantastic! I hope to see you in a match soon

how necessary is mIRC? would you reccomend any of the free ones like IceChat (or whatever it's called), or maybe just using the web client instead?
                    mIRC, or any IRC client for that matter, is not required to access #ut4pugs. As you've mentioned there is the webClient option which utilizes a web browser instead. I do not have much experience with IRC clients beyond mIRC, though I can tell you they are relatively pretty similar in regards to the options they have available. You could probably use my guide to configure another client with little to no trouble. It is worth noting that while mIRC is pay software, once the trial runs out you can continue to use it. You just have to click away a box that asks you if you want to register it each time mIRC starts up. No part of the programs functionality is hindered by not registering the software.

what are the drawbacks of using the web client anyway?
                    The webClient is run directly in your web browser. It is easy to use and requires zero configuration. It is great for testing the waters but if you plan on sticking around long term, installing an IRC client like mIRC makes more sense. The primary benefit of doing so is that you have control over how IRC looks, functions, and you gain access to options galore; including Perform (available in mIRC). Perform allows you to specify a series of commands you want the program to execute upon startup. So just by launching mIRC the program can join a server, join specified channels, register your nickname, and do anything else you desire.

On a modern PC, it literally has zero resource consumption. You can leave it running all day, and you won't notice the slightest blip in your computer's performance. Another thing to consider is that many people close their browsers and other resource hungry applications before starting up UT4. In which case, a webClient user would lose access to IRC. Having a connection to the channel during a match is not necessary, but can be helpful in certain situations; like finding a substitute player mid game.

Comment

Originally posted by cafe
                      The alternatives to mIRC that I know of, that are good, are qassel and hexchat. I'm sure there are lots of others though.
                      I used to like mIRC, but it's not really freeware so I don't use it any longer. As a substitute I've been using Visual IRC but I don't like it as much as I liked mIRC, but it's possible that I don't fully understand how to use it since I don't log onto IRC real often. I'll have to check out Qassel and Hexchat. Here's a link to Visual IRC if anyone's interested in trying it: http://www.visualirc.net/features.php
                      UT4 CTF Maps: CTF-Whiplash | CTF-Sidewinder | CTF-Highpoint | CTF-Hardcore | CTF-Tubes-Of-Spam

UT99 CTF Maps: CTF-DagnysBigAssMap-V2 | CTF-Dagnys-P****WhIpPeD | CTF-Dagnys-Dark-Delight-LE102 | CTF-Dagnys-Tubes-Of-Spam

Comment

I use HexChat. Open source FTW. The only thing I don't like about it is having to manually setup the sounds.
                        Creator of NewNet for UT99

Comment

Is this still active by any chance? Looking for an active community to get my UT itch in for the next couple weeks. Old UT99 player here that wishes it would come back!

Comment

Originally posted by kronUSA View Post
                            Is this still active by any chance? Looking for an active community to get my UT itch in for the next couple weeks. Old UT99 player here that wishes it would come back!
                            No. Just about all organized game play is currently dead in UT4. Once a week or so you can find a PUG game on the discord chat. Id give you a link to the channel invite but I cant figure out where to get it at. Its called UT4Pugs.
                            PayBack

Comment

https://discord.gg/MRJcTrs

here the link to the UnrealPUGs Discord Server, couple of PUGs happening every day!

Comment

https://discord.gg/BbPPCBx

or

http://ut4pugs.us

This is our current channel.
                                Come join us for pickup games http://ut4pugs.us

Comment

Working...
                                X